FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   1 day in Oslo, and airport train question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/1872733-1-day-oslo-airport-train-question.html)

so3003 Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

1 day in Oslo, and airport train question

At the end of our forthcoming holiday, we'll have 1 day to spend in Oslo before returning to the UK. Any suggestions for "must see" sights in the main city centre area? Also - are there any ways to buy discounted train tickets to the airport? Is that (FlyToGet airport train) the most economical way to get to the airport from the city centre?

:D! Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by so3003 (Post 28948640)
are there any ways to buy discounted train tickets to the airport? Is that (FlyToGet airport train) the most economical way to get to the airport from the city centre?

The most economical way to get to the airport is to take the R10, R11 or L12 trains, which take more or less the same amount of time as the FlyToget, but run a bit less frequently (every ~20 mins as opposed to every 10 minutes).

The Flytoget costs 180 NOK single to Oslo Sentral whereas the local trains cost 93 NOK single.

If you are travelling to and from the airport within 24 hours, then you can buy a 24-hour all-zone ticket for 190 NOK, which gives you unlimited travel around all of Oslo and surrounds including to and from the airport.

On a day trip you would normally only travel around Oslo Zone 1, and a 24-hour ticket for Zone 1 would cost you 90 NOK; thus if you make two journeys to the airport each journey would only cost you 50kr as compared to 360kr by the "express" train.

Note: it is not "FlyToGet"
In Norwegian, fly = plane, tog = train, -et = definite article
flytog = plane-train
flytoget = the plane-train

pewpew Oct 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 28948947)
The most economical way to get to the airport is to take the R10, R11 or L12 trains, which take more or less the same amount of time as the FlyToget, but run a bit less frequently (every ~20 mins as opposed to every 10 minutes).

The Flytoget costs 180 NOK single to Oslo Sentral whereas the local trains cost 93 NOK single.

If you are travelling to and from the airport within 24 hours, then you can buy a 24-hour all-zone ticket for 190 NOK, which gives you unlimited travel around all of Oslo and surrounds including to and from the airport.

On a day trip you would normally only travel around Oslo Zone 1, and a 24-hour ticket for Zone 1 would cost you 90 NOK; thus if you make two journeys to the airport each journey would only cost you 50kr as compared to 360kr by the "express" train.

Note: it is not "FlyToGet"
In Norwegian, fly = plane, tog = train, -et = definite article
flytog = plane-train
flytoget = the plane-train

I haven't checked if Ruter sells these, but why not save 10kr or so and do a 4-zone day ticket? I'm pretty sure those are valid on the NSB airport trains to Oslo S

Edited to add: because it turns out you can get a 1, 2, or all zone ticket for 24h.

calbear2005 Oct 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by so3003 (Post 28948640)
At the end of our forthcoming holiday, we'll have 1 day to spend in Oslo before returning to the UK. Any suggestions for "must see" sights in the main city centre area? Also - are there any ways to buy discounted train tickets to the airport? Is that (FlyToGet airport train) the most economical way to get to the airport from the city centre?

Vigeland Museum and Sculpture Park (two separate things, but near one another; the former was the sculptor's residence and studio, the latter is where a lot of his sculptures are on display)
Viking Ship Museum
Akershus Fortress (the Resistance Museum on the grounds is really fascinating)

meraki Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 28948947)

I know this reply is only a few months old but I was wondering if the 24 hour pass could still be used to get to/from the Oslo airport in Gardermoen. Ruter's website wasn't cooperating when I tried to find out how much a ticket from the metro stop near my hotel to the airport would be.

pewpew Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by meraki (Post 29279414)
I know this reply is only a few months old but I was wondering if the 24 hour pass could still be used to get to/from the Oslo airport in Gardermoen. Ruter's website wasn't cooperating when I tried to find out how much a ticket from the metro stop near my hotel to the airport would be.

An all-zone 24h pass can indeed be used to get from downtown Oslo to OSL (Gardemoen) airport

princeville May 8, 2018 12:56 pm

I hope it's okay to revive this thread...

We have three nights in Oslo in July, followed by an early morning (6:15am) departure from OSL. I see Flytoget has a 4am departure from Oslo S, arriving at OSL at 4:22.

Is Flytoget generally punctual so I can depend on the arrival time being accurate? If so, does that leave enough time for our flight? How far is the walk to the check in area (I've only flown into OSL once and don't remember anything about it!)? We are flying SAS to a non-Schengen destination, will need to drop checked bags (will have already checked in online, assuming that works), and have US passports.

Assuming the train is on time and it's a quick walk to the bag drop area, this more than meets SAS's requirements, but would appreciate actual experiences with security and passport control that time of day to make sure we're not cutting it too close.

Or should we just stay in an airport hotel the last night? Thanks for your input!

GUWonder May 8, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by princeville (Post 29730779)
I hope it's okay to revive this thread...

We have three nights in Oslo in July, followed by an early morning (6:15am) departure from OSL. I see Flytoget has a 4am departure from Oslo S, arriving at OSL at 4:22.

Is Flytoget generally punctual so I can depend on the arrival time being accurate? If so, does that leave enough time for our flight? How far is the walk to the check in area (I've only flown into OSL once and don't remember anything about it!)? We are flying SAS to a non-Schengen destination, will need to drop checked bags (will have already checked in online, assuming that works), and have US passports.

Assuming the train is on time and it's a quick walk to the bag drop area, this more than meets SAS's requirements, but would appreciate actual experiences with security and passport control that time of day to make sure we're not cutting it too close.

Or should we just stay in an airport hotel the last night? Thanks for your input!

The train tends to be very punctual and leaving at 4am is way more than enough for a 6.15am departure to a non-Schengen destination too.

princeville May 8, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29730989)

The train tends to be very punctual and leaving at 4am is way more than enough for a 6.15am departure to a non-Schengen destination too.

Thank you! I know in general transportation in Scandinavia is very efficient but better to ask than assume. :)