Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

8.5 hour layover @ ARN, enough time for ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Booking a November trip and looking at a routing that would involve a 8.5 hour layover at ARN, roughly 7:30 am to 4 pm, .

Is that enough time to see the Vasa Museum? It's open 10 to 7 that day, but how difficult is getting thru immigration, getting to museum, getting back, clearing security? I'd be coming off a TATL flight.

And late November - any special holiday events/fairs that could be visited in that time window?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:38 pm

It took me about an hour from landing at ARN to checking into a hotel down the street from the Vasa Museum a couple weeks ago, so sure, I'd say it's doable. But I also did passport control at CDG beforehand.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Booking a November trip and looking at a routing that would involve a 8.5 hour layover at ARN, roughly 7:30 am to 4 pm, .

Is that enough time to see the Vasa Museum? It's open 10 to 7 that day, but how difficult is getting thru immigration, getting to museum, getting back, clearing security? I'd be coming off a TATL flight.
If your flight is on time you should be able to get there when it opens at 10am even if you don't take the Arlanda Express. The website recommends 90 mins in the museum. I haven't been but am also going to Stockholm in November.

Actually, it closes at 17h or 5pm, not 7, but obviously you'll need to be out by 1pm at the very latest.

And late November - any special holiday events/fairs that could be visited in that time window?
Some Christmas markets may be open by then.

I have a question too - are the floating ships part of the museum or open to everyone? Also is everything else indoors, i.e., the weather doesn't matter? I recently visited the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde and it would not have been so nice in winter.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When I first did the Vasa Museum, I think I spent at least 3 hours there. Some people get in and out of there within half that time or even perhaps significantly less, but I found it way more interesting than I had initially expected and decided to read and see the exhibits more extensively than first planned. But I also knew that wasn't going to be my only time in Stockholm or at the Vasa; and that was at a time before I realized my personal connections to the history of the area.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler

It's easily enough time to see the Vasa Museum, walk around Old Town/Gamla Stan, and do other stuff, including perhaps even a palace tour.

Late November is not generally that packed a time in Stockholm. Or at least that's not a time of year when I've had any problems using hotel program points for rooms in the city.

For my early morning arrivals into ARN from the US scheduled at around 7:30 am, I usually am out of passport control within well less than 15 minutes. I could see myself getting into Stockholm C as early as 6:50 am to 8:15 am with such scheduled arrival at ARN, but I can't see it getting worse than 9:00 am if using Arlanda Express and the flight left the US on time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 23, 2017 at 6:46 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Radisson former employee
Plenty of time , keep in mind the weather

can stow away luggage by terminal 2 sky city then make the train into the city . Download the SL app (public transportation ) and it’ll give you the list of routes you can take from arlanda airport to the vasa museum in Stockholm. I highly recommend you go! Another great treasure (and only 18 minutes from arlanda ) is the Uppsala cathedral and the city . Definitely worth visit !
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Or if you're a bit of a foodie you can catch the Arlanda Express to Centralen, walk from there through Gamla Stan (touristy, but you might be able to pick up some Viking horn helmets, overpriced trinkets or T shirts) through to Slussen. There is a great restaurant there for lunch - easy to find - called Blå Dörren. They have lunch specials every day at a great price and the food is very traditional Swedish. One of the great things about Sweden for you is the restaurants open early for lunch, probably 11:30 or so. A bit further up at Medborgaplatsen (on the left near the station) is a Korv stall that featured in Anthony Boudain's travel / food show. Their tunnebrodsrulle is very good and was highlighted on the show. All this is probably 30 minutes of walking or more if you want to explore a bit further. It's easy then to get back to the airport. Everything is (usually) quick and efficient.

At that time of year bring a warm coat.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Or if you're a bit of a foodie you can catch the Arlanda Express to Centralen, walk from there through Gamla Stan (touristy, but you might be able to pick up some Viking horn helmets, overpriced trinkets or T shirts) through to Slussen. There is a great restaurant there for lunch - easy to find - called Blå Dörren. They have lunch specials every day at a great price and the food is very traditional Swedish. One of the great things about Sweden for you is the restaurants open early for lunch, probably 11:30 or so. A bit further up at Medborgaplatsen (on the left near the station) is a Korv stall that featured in Anthony Boudain's travel / food show. Their tunnebrodsrulle is very good and was highlighted on the show. All this is probably 30 minutes of walking or more if you want to explore a bit further. It's easy then to get back to the airport. Everything is (usually) quick and efficient.

At that time of year bring a warm coat.
Good advice, but a little late for the OP, whose trip was in November 2017 .
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Good advice, but a little late for the OP, whose trip was in November 2017 .
True. I thought it might help others who might follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.