Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Booking tickets on vr.fi

Booking tickets on vr.fi

Old Jul 17, 17, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Booking tickets on vr.fi

I would like to book a train ticket from www.vr.fi, but I keep seeing the status message, "Usage is temporarily restricted from outside Finland." Does anyone know why this restriction is in place, or if/when it's likely to be lifted? Are there other ways I can purchase a ticket for this route in advance?

If I'm not able to purchase a train ticket in advance, can I rely on being able to buy one at the station on day of travel, or do the trains often sell out? I'm trying to travel from Turku to Helsinki on the morning of August 9, if that matters, and I don't arrive in Finland until the morning of August 8.
Old Jul 18, 17, 3:12 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
On a non-holiday Wednesday in August, you shouldn't have any trouble at all getting a ticket even at the last minute. At the moment there are plenty of seats on all those trains (to the extent that they are all still selling at the super-advance -discount price of 9,90). No worries.
Old Jul 18, 17, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance! It would be nice if the site starts working for overseas passengers soon enough for me to get that discount price, but it's good to know there will be tickets available regardless.
Old Jul 18, 17, 12:20 pm

Little over week ago there was a bad DDoS attack that brought VR's entire ticketing system down. I guess cutting off most of the world is fairly effective defence against distributed attacks until they can figure out something better. VR received some well deserved bad press some years ago when they switched to new IT platform for ticketing and timetables and were plagued of problems. Lately it has been reasonably reliable but especially since it is already peak vacation period in Finlan, I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for fix.
Old Jul 18, 17, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kallio View Post
Little over week ago there was a bad DDoS attack that brought VR's entire ticketing system down. I guess cutting off most of the world is fairly effective defence against distributed attacks until they can figure out something better. VR received some well deserved bad press some years ago when they switched to new IT platform for ticketing and timetables and were plagued of problems. Lately it has been reasonably reliable but especially since it is already peak vacation period in Finlan, I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for fix.
Ah hah! Thanks for giving me the background and satisfying my curiosity. That makes sense.
Old Jul 18, 17, 2:46 pm

Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Just for the record, you can always jump on a long distance VR train, even if it is sold out, and buy your ticket from the conductor. Of course this won't guarantee you a seat, but there is the restaurant car and probably some unallocated seats between stations.
Old Jul 18, 17, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor View Post
Just for the record, you can always jump on a long distance VR train, even if it is sold out, and buy your ticket from the conductor. Of course this won't guarantee you a seat, but there is the restaurant car and probably some unallocated seats between stations.
Good to know! Does that require cash, or can they take credit cards on board? Is there a surcharge for doing it this way, versus buying tickets at the station?
Old Jul 18, 17, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by ambyr View Post
Good to know! Does that require cash, or can they take credit cards on board? Is there a surcharge for doing it this way, versus buying tickets at the station?
Surcharge is 6 euros for distances over 76km and obviously no discounted tickets are available. Credit cards are accepted but online only debit cards like Visa Electron or Maestro are not. VR trains do not have displays where you could see if the seat is reserved or not like some other European trains have and most passengers have reserved seats so I would use this option only if I had to. Probably the most common use case is fully booked train and hoping to get a seat in restaurant car.
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Everyone here is so helpful, I wish I could come up with more questions about Finland that I needed answered.

Anyone have advice about visiting and hiking in Nuuksio National Park?
Old Jul 22, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Telephone Reservations?

Originally Posted by tsastor View Post

Hi, I wanted to book 4 tickets for the Santa Claus Express over peak periods in Mid-December - the schedules aren't out yet but i anticipate them to be out over the next couple of weeks or so.

Had read elsewhere that there was a telephone number for overseas bookings - does anyone know the number and whether they accept telephone bookings now?

Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:39 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The phone number for booking is (calling from Finland) 0600 41 900 - it's a "service number" costing 1,99€/min, therefore I'm not sure if it can be called from abroad. If you want to try, drop the first "0" and replace it with "+358"

The line is open 07.00-22.00 hrs daily, also in English.

https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/customer-service

I'd contact them in twitter first to see what advice they have.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Good news: vr.fi is taking orders from outside of Finland again. I've got tickets in hand (although I seem to have booked "seats for allergic passengers" without meaning to--I hope I'm not keeping them from someone who needs them. Oh well.)
Old Sep 14, 17, 8:07 am

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Same topic, does anyone know which seats are forward facing?

For example, if I go from Helsinki to Oulu, all carriages have seats on either side (left and right), how do I know if it's certain direction?

update: found answer myself, simply move the carriage to the front and it will tell you which direction, either Helsinki or Tampere.

Last edited by vincewy; Sep 14, 17 at 9:06 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: