Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

How do I book point to point travel on the Hurtigruten ferry?

How do I book point to point travel on the Hurtigruten ferry?

Old Jan 21, 18, 2:16 pm
  #16  
Community Director
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,546
Out of 10 consecutive days in June, only 3 days show cabin space available. I've bought spaces for the two of us as I really want to use the ferry for this leg of our trip. I'll obsessively check to see if a tour group gives up any cabin space between now and June.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 10:52 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 625
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Out of 10 consecutive days in June, only 3 days show cabin space available. I've bought spaces for the two of us as I really want to use the ferry for this leg of our trip. I'll obsessively check to see if a tour group gives up any cabin space between now and June.
This is very interesting. Glad that you got the reservations.

However, we had understood that overnight travelers must have a cabin, so there is not "sleeping in the public areas".
Is there any chance that they'll assign cabins later, "something from whatever remains" for you, closer to sailing, or even at sailing?
Sort of like a "guarantee" on a regular cruise line?

I would think that they'd want to do something to avoid having a few nights here and there plucked out of several different cabins on full RT voyages such that the RT reservations aren't available (or, not staying in the same cabin/suite, which is how the RT bookings are made).

Does anyone know how Hurtigruten manages this potential problem?

GC
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:14 am
  #18  
Community Director
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,546
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
However, we had understood that overnight travelers must have a cabin, so there is not "sleeping in the public areas".
Is there any chance that they'll assign cabins later, "something from whatever remains" for you, closer to sailing, or even at sailing?
Sort of like a "guarantee" on a regular cruise line?
I'm unaware of such a requirement. After all, the ships have occupancy for more passengers than the cabins can accommodate. I anticipate that we might be stuck sleeping overnight in a public area.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 12:51 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 625
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I'm unaware of such a requirement. After all, the ships have occupancy for more passengers than the cabins can accommodate. I anticipate that we might be stuck sleeping overnight in a public area.
Ah, I think I've got an answer from someone very familiar with Hurtigruten.
(The Internet is an *amazing* resource. However did we manage "way back then"? )

Apparently for shorter trips, less than 24 hours, and I think yours is about 23 hours, no cabin is "required".?
(And I wonder if they thus save cabins for those with >24 hour trips, perhaps until the last minute?)

flatlander, does this match your understanding?

That would also explain why there is a capacity greater than the cabin sleeping capacity.
(Of course, these numbers might not match up depending upon how many are booked in each cabin/suite.)

GC
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:39 am
  #20  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
Ah, I think I've got an answer from someone very familiar with Hurtigruten.
(The Internet is an *amazing* resource. However did we manage "way back then"? )

Apparently for shorter trips, less than 24 hours, and I think yours is about 23 hours, no cabin is "required".?
(And I wonder if they thus save cabins for those with >24 hour trips, perhaps until the last minute?)

flatlander, does this match your understanding?

That would also explain why there is a capacity greater than the cabin sleeping capacity.
(Of course, these numbers might not match up depending upon how many are booked in each cabin/suite.)

GC
First of all: Hurtigruten has quite a number of possible day journeys beteen ports. Passengers obviously don't need cabins for those journeys. Second: travelling overnight between ports is a traditional way of travelling economically, just as travelling on a bus/coach overnight, or travelling seated on a night train. I certainly did so as a student .

There is supposed to be a dedicated allocation for walk-on travellers as part of the government contract/subsidy, but the rules are rather obscure. Persistence (checking back) would be my best bet.
ksu is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 2:29 pm
  #21  
Community Director
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,546
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post

For example https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/port-t...AES&toPort=TRD

then you can select cabins, meals, etc, and proceed to payment.
This link stopped working a few weeks back. Now it only offers calling as a means of booking. Is there a different link I can try?
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Mar 15, 18, 3:52 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 625
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
This link stopped working a few weeks back. Now it only offers calling as a means of booking. Is there a different link I can try?
We are on board right now (for a few more wonderful days :-)

If you care to send us more specifics, we can ask one of the Officers about it.
(There is one Officer who has been a special contact since we got on board because of a favor they asked of us, So we can go above general reception for information. However, there is obviously no guarantee that this will prove useful, but it might be worth a try...)

In other news, there's a solar storm sending the right energy this way, and we had extremely good Northern Lights last night.
A real "Wow!"

We'll be very sorry to leave when we arrive in Bergen.

Everything about the cruise has exceeded our expectations, a wonderful surprise.
[However, getting information prior to being ON board? Another thing entirely, unfortunately.]

GC
SanDiego1K likes this.
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:28 am
  #23  
Community Director
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,546
We finally succeeded in booking one of the lower cabin categories, albeit with an outside window. This was in March. The price with a food package and internet was $1100, quite high I thought for a 23 hour trip. At the point that I finally learned the total price, we were boxed in with rigid bookings on either side. We took the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo and found a room of similar description to be adequate but very cramped. Thus a couple days in advance of the trip, we made several attempts to reach Hurtigruten. The line does not make it easy. We ultimately succeeded in reaching someone and were told that the cabins were completely sold out. On boarding, we checked again. We were told that the only room available was their top category, an Expedition Suite. There are just two on the boat we are on. It is a two room suite with a TV in the living room. The set price was roughly $950 more than we had paid but the agent offered the room to us for $250. We took it and are glad we did. There are not enough seats on the ship for everyone. Every seat near a window was taken; after all, the ship was going to the stunning Geiranger fjord before returning to Alesund and then heading to Trondheim. There were people who boarded in Alesund to do the Geiranger fjord as a day trip. Seating in our suite did not offer as panoramic view as one in the lounge but it was certainly better than standing and hovering, hoping someone would move from their seat.

There were two talks on the day we were on board. The first was a lecture as to how the Norwegian fjord landscape was formed. The second was on Norway's coastal kitchen. The expedition offered was to the Geiranger Panorama and Trollstigen for roughly $270. Passengers reboarded the ship in Molde, some 8 hours after disembarking. It was rainy and hazy the day we were on our ship so difficult to see much of the stunning landscape. The bus ride offered not only a better view but covered considerable more land. We had done it by car earlier and passed on the expedition.

The departure point is not well marked in Alesund. It's useful to know it is adjacent to the Radisson Blu hotel. There is a lounge by the wharf. We were the first to enter it so a bit disconcerting to find it was unstaffed. We were the first there and it was a bit tricky to find. There were roughly 30 of us who boarded in Alesund. I did not see any cars come on board and saw only one car come off.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:44 am
  #24  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,378
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
We finally succeeded in booking one of the lower cabin categories, albeit with an outside window. This was in March. The price with a food package and internet was $1100, quite high I thought for a 23 hour trip. At the point that I finally learned the total price, we were boxed in with rigid bookings on either side. We took the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo and found a room of similar description to be adequate but very cramped. Thus a couple days in advance of the trip, we made several attempts to reach Hurtigruten. The line does not make it easy. We ultimately succeeded in reaching someone and were told that the cabins were completely sold out. On boarding, we checked again. We were told that the only room available was their top category, an Expedition Suite. There are just two on the boat we are on. It is a two room suite with a TV in the living room. The set price was roughly $950 more than we had paid but the agent offered the room to us for $250. We took it and are glad we did. There are not enough seats on the ship for everyone. Every seat near a window was taken; after all, the ship was going to the stunning Geiranger fjord before returning to Alesund and then heading to Trondheim. There were people who boarded in Alesund to do the Geiranger fjord as a day trip. Seating in our suite did not offer as panoramic view as one in the lounge but it was certainly better than standing and hovering, hoping someone would move from their seat.

There were two talks on the day we were on board. The first was a lecture as to how the Norwegian fjord landscape was formed. The second was on Norway's coastal kitchen. The expedition offered was to the Geiranger Panorama and Trollstigen for roughly $270. Passengers reboarded the ship in Molde, some 8 hours after disembarking. It was rainy and hazy the day we were on our ship so difficult to see much of the stunning landscape. The bus ride offered not only a better view but covered considerable more land. We had done it by car earlier and passed on the expedition.

The departure point is not well marked in Alesund. It's useful to know it is adjacent to the Radisson Blu hotel. There is a lounge by the wharf. We were the first to enter it so a bit disconcerting to find it was unstaffed. We were the first there and it was a bit tricky to find. There were roughly 30 of us who boarded in Alesund. I did not see any cars come on board and saw only one car come off.
Cars are fewer on the days when schools are still open or are having their last day in the area. Later in the summer, car volume picks up.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Sep 18, 18, 2:33 pm
  #25  
txp
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains
Posts: 1,009
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate an update on how to book port-to-port tickets online (or otherwise). Short of getting a Norwegian VPN (which I might have to do), there is no way to access hurtigruten.no from the US. It directs to hurtigruten.com, where only cruises are sold.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a travel agency in Norway who can sell port-to-port tickets?

From my vantage point it appears that Hurtigruten is segmenting its market as follows: the “ferry/transportation” service is targeted to residents of Norway. For everyone else, they market themselves as a cruise line. To keep the market segmented, they prohibit access to the *.no website from outside Norway. This is unfortunate, but it is what it is. If anyone has any suggestions for how to overcome this limitation, I would appreciate your ideas!

Thank you!
txp is offline  
Old Nov 3, 18, 8:59 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by txp View Post
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate an update on how to book port-to-port tickets online (or otherwise). Short of getting a Norwegian VPN (which I might have to do), there is no way to access hurtigruten.no from the US. It directs to hurtigruten.com, where only cruises are sold.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a travel agency in Norway who can sell port-to-port tickets?

From my vantage point it appears that Hurtigruten is segmenting its market as follows: the “ferry/transportation” service is targeted to residents of Norway. For everyone else, they market themselves as a cruise line. To keep the market segmented, they prohibit access to the *.no website from outside Norway. This is unfortunate, but it is what it is. If anyone has any suggestions for how to overcome this limitation, I would appreciate your ideas!

Thank you!
I was having the same problem last year. Just now from another forum, I found this link that appears to work. Good luck and please report back if it works for you.

https://www.hurtigruten.no/havn-til-havn
getmethere is offline  
Old Nov 10, 18, 1:01 pm
  #27  
txp
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains
Posts: 1,009
Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
I was having the same problem last year. Just now from another forum, I found this link that appears to work. Good luck and please report back if it works for you.

https://www.hurtigruten.no/havn-til-havn

Thank you. It does work! I appreciate this.
txp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: