Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Minimum connection time for ARN (Sweden)

Old May 17, 17, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help

I will apologize now if this is in the wrong place and ask a mod to move it where it belongs if needed.

I am flying from the US to Sweden this summer and had a question before I confirmed my flight plans...

My travel agent has suggested a flight to me and I wanted to be sure the timing would be OK as I've never been through ARN (Arlanda, Stockholm, Sweden) before.

I will arrive from Iceland into Stockholm (Terminal 2)
I will then have to get through passport control/etc, get my bags and fresh check in to a local Sweden flight to Umea in Terminal 4

My flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:45am and my UME flight leaves at 3:20pm, is that enough time to clear passport control, get to terminal 4 check in and board my flight It's only 3 hours and 35 minutes if everything is on time (Both airlines seem to have on time within 10 minutes either side AR/Dep rating on those routes)

Also on my return the agent has suggested a 9:30am arrival in ARN from Umea (Terminal 4) and a departing flight back to iceland at 12:35pm (Terminal 2) so a 3 hour and 5 minute window...

Is this doable? I've heard ARN passport control is usually a breeze but I want to check before I give the OK.

The reason for the separate tickets is price, it would cost an extra 4 grand for my family of 4 to fly on a code share ticket...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice...

A
Old May 17, 17, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's plenty of time. If you are connecting on Icelandair then there is no passport control at ARN since Iceland is in Schengen.

You should be able to check your bags through to UME and to the US on the way back. Just inform the Icelandair/ SAS staff of your separate connecting flight (show a receipt) and they will check it through.
Old May 18, 17, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I did realize I forgot to add that it is US to Sweden Via Iceland, we are only in Iceland for about 2 hours before we catch our connection, does that change things or do we go through schengen passport controls in Iceland? The airline is WOW Air in case that makes a difference.. Thanks again!!!
Old May 19, 17, 1:20 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, SK EBG
You will enter Schengen at KEF so there is no pass control at ARN. However, with separate tickets -- US-KEF-ARN: WOW and ARN-UME: (SK? DY?) -- you will not be able to through-check your bags. You will thus have to collect them at ARN, go through Swedish Customs, and (re-) check-in for your connecting flight. Your 3h35m transfer time looks reasonable on paper and you will probably be fine -- although you should be prepared for some anxiety if WOW are (badly) late, as they sometimes are. But that's always the gamble with separate tix ...

Good luck.
Old May 19, 17, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info!! I have the option to choose a later flight from ARN to UME 520pm vs 320pm, just choosing SAS instead of Norwegian for the connecting flight... It's an extra 150 bucks or so total for the 4 of us but it sounds like the better bet just in case things go wrong... It only puts is in Umea about 2 hours later than the 320 flight and the planes have similar comfort levels for the short hour flight so I'm going to air on the side of caution and go with the later flight. Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:02 am

Apologies to bring up an old thread, as I am looking to do a Back-to-Back tier point run ticket at ARN which would be a T2 arrival on AY coming in from HEL and returning flight time 35 mins later. Do connecting Schengen passengers arriving at ARN have to reclear security or will passengers just walk straight into the departure gate?
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tim nice but dim View Post
Apologies to bring up an old thread, as I am looking to do a Back-to-Back tier point run ticket at ARN which would be a T2 arrival on AY coming in from HEL and returning flight time 35 mins later. Do connecting Schengen passengers arriving at ARN have to reclear security or will passengers just walk straight into the departure gate?
Coming into ARN from a Schengen area means you can get to ARN departure gates without having to reclear security, as long as the gates are in the same terminal or you are able to take the airside shuttle bus between Terminals.

The one exception to my above sentence is this: while the airside shuttle bus leaves from the domestic Swedish terminal and drops off at other terminals, the airside shuttle bus won’t take passengers to the domestic Swedish terminal — a Swedish customs issue. But this exception shouldn’t affect you, if you are doing HEL-ARN-HEL.
Old Jan 15, 19, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Coming into ARN from a Schengen area means you can get to ARN departure gates without having to reclear security, as long as the gates are in the same terminal or you are able to take the airside shuttle bus between Terminals.

The one exception to my above sentence is this: while the airside shuttle bus leaves from the domestic Swedish terminal and drops off at other terminals, the airside shuttle bus won’t take passengers to the domestic Swedish terminal — a Swedish customs issue. But this exception shouldn’t affect you, if you are doing HEL-ARN-HEL.
Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 19, 2:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
For a Schengen B2B at ARN, you walk the 50m along the jetbridge into the building, then immediately sit down and wait 15 minutes, then reboard. As long as you are certain it is the same plane.
Tim nice but dim likes this.
Old Feb 8, 19, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Hi, I am arriving at terminal 5 at Arlanda on QR at 0610 - what are my chances of making the 0735 BA flight to London from terminal 2 does anyone know?

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:49 am

Assuming that it's the same plane, it's no problem. You just exit the plane and you're in the gate where the plane departs from. But beware that AY in the summer has some HEL-ARN-BGO flights that may be timed very close to a HEL-ARN-HEL flight, so make sure that it really is the same plane.

Originally Posted by crowe View Post
Hi, I am arriving at terminal 5 at Arlanda on QR at 0610 - what are my chances of making the 0735 BA flight to London from terminal 2 does anyone know?

Thanks
Assuming that you're HBO, it shouldn't be a problem assuming that the arrival is on-time. You have to go through transfer security and take a shuttle bus to T2. If you have baggage, I would estimate a 50-50 chance.
Old Feb 10, 19, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili View Post

Assuming that you're HBO, it shouldn't be a problem assuming that the arrival is on-time. You have to go through transfer security and take a shuttle bus to T2. If you have baggage, I would estimate a 50-50 chance.
Checked luggage shouldn't be a problem in this kind of situation -- if anything having checked luggage could potentially help with making the flight. QR -- unlike BA -- will check baggage onto BA flights even when the QR flight and BA flight are on separately ticketed PNRs.

What I would do is check in with QR and get QR to check-in the luggage onto the QR + BA flights -- thus no need to claim luggage at ARN -- and then check in online for the BA flights as soon as the BA flight check-in opens or whenever else it's convenient as long as the BA boarding pass is gotten via online check-in prior to the check-in cut-off time. [I would do it from my QR flights, as I seem to get some free internet on most of my QR flights as of late.
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:26 am

Thanks both - I will be HBO as it goes.
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by crowe View Post
Thanks both - I will be HBO as it goes.
If on a tight connection on say a DOH-ARN-LHR routing, I would hope to have checked in a stack of worthless newspapers in a small box or cheap bag if for no reason other than to increase the chances of the ARN-LHR flight not departing without me. BA tend to wait a bit for passengers if they know they will be required to have baggage handlers get on the plane and offload the already loaded checked luggage of a hitherto missing passenger. I've definitely seen such things help passengers make flights from ARN (and elsewhere) where otherwise they would have missed their flight.
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:21 am

Interesting! Will consider it, thanks