Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flam Train

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Flam Train

We're going on a cruise that stops in Bergen. We're thinking of doing the Flam train, but because we have to get back and forth from Bergen, we would be essentially doing a round trip instead of a more classic Norway in a Nutshell kind of itinerary. So, we'd take a train from Bergen to Myrdal, and then do a round trip on the Flam train, having lunch in Flam. And then back to Bergen.

My questions -- is it worth it? It looks as though the Flam train is spectacular but what about the Bergen to Myrdal train? Would taking it as a round trip be too much? Etc.? There's plenty to do in Bergen instead, but I love me some trains so I'm sort of looking for a reason to do it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It's definitely gorgeous; a group of us drove from Flam to Bergen (with a pit stop to hike Trolltunga), and the views are absolutely majestic.

That said, don't plan on doing much in Flam - there really isn't much to do. My recommendation would be to eat lunch at the brewery...it looks a bit hokey, but the food is quite good (and so is the beer).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I spent 18 days in Norway last summer, travelling in planes, trains, busses, ferries, and ships (Hurtigruten). I did done some very scenic trains trips and cruising through fjords, before I arrived in Bergen, at the tail end of my trip. But, I still found my day trip from Bergen to Flam very beautiful and enjoyable.

The train trip from Bergen to Myrdal was very nice. The train from Myrdal to Flam was even better. As PsiFighter37 mentioned, Flam is very small and not much to do. From Flam I took a sightseeing boat to Gudvangen. The cruise through the Sognefjord was very beautiful. I then took a bus from Gudvangen to Voss, which was also spectacular. I then took the train from Voss back to Bergen.

The entire trip was wonderful, so I would definitely encourage you to visit Flam, but don’t comeback from Flam to Myrdal by train. Do the boat cruise on the Sognefjord. Alternately, you can take a boat from Flam back to Bergen (https://www.norled.no/en/fjordcruise...rgen-to-flaam/)
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much. I'd love to do the boat journey, but we just don't have enough time. We're stuck with the cruise ship's schedule. We only have 10 hours in port in Bergen so we have to do the train round trip.

There is so much to do in southwestern Norway that just planning for our couple of stops there on the cruise is making me want to go there again for a week or more.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
It is a nice train ride, but I found Bergen to be a lovely little city. I liked it better than Oslo for instance. The harbor area has some nice little shops. There are several really good museums--better than you would expect for a city of that size. I enjoyed just walking the hills of the University of Bergen. I only had one night in Bergen and wished I had more.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:21 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sooge_sj
The train trip from Bergen to Myrdal was very nice. The train from Myrdal to Flam was even better. As PsiFighter37 mentioned, Flam is very small and not much to do. From Flam I took a sightseeing boat to Gudvangen. The cruise through the Sognefjord was very beautiful. I then took a bus from Gudvangen to Voss, which was also spectacular. I then took the train from Voss back to Bergen.

The entire trip was wonderful, so I would definitely encourage you to visit Flam, but don’t comeback from Flam to Myrdal by train. Do the boat cruise on the Sognefjord. Alternately, you can take a boat from Flam back to Bergen (https://www.norled.no/en/fjordcruise...rgen-to-flaam/)
We can either take the train from Oslo to Bergen or we can pick up a rental car in Oslo. We will have our luggage for our trip in either case. Is it possible to include the trip you've outlined enroute or are the logistics too complicated?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We can either take the train from Oslo to Bergen or we can pick up a rental car in Oslo. We will have our luggage for our trip in either case. Is it possible to include the trip you've outlined enroute or are the logistics too complicated?
The ferries that I have encountered on the NIAN trips can at least sometimes transport cars. There was at least part of one of the Norway in a Nutshell tours from Bergen to Oslo where I saw no cars, but maybe some of the trains and other ferries can transport cars?

Here are some maps for common car excursions when visiting Norway.

https://norway.nordicvisitor.com/tra...iAAEgIJFvD_BwE

tommy777 had hooked me up with Hertz Norway, back when I didn't have a car in the area.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 16, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I had luggage on the Norway in a Nutshell route from Oslo to Bergen a few weeks ago and it wasn't complicated at all. It's a long day for sure, but I'd prefer it to driving. (Oslo to Myrdal train, Myrdal to Flam train, Flam to Gudvangen boat, Gudvangen to Voss bus, Voss to Bergen train.) It sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but happy to answer any questions.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I had luggage on the Norway in a Nutshell route from Oslo to Bergen a few weeks ago and it wasn't complicated at all. It's a long day for sure, but I'd prefer it to driving. (Oslo to Myrdal train, Myrdal to Flam train, Flam to Gudvangen boat, Gudvangen to Voss bus, Voss to Bergen train.) It sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but happy to answer any questions.
I did this last summer, and sorry I did. True it was overcast and raining except in Oslo and Bergen.I think NIAN is way over rated. I suggested to friends who went this year to skip NIAN and instead go to Bergen and do boat trips out of there.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by craz
I did this last summer, and sorry I did. True it was overcast and raining except in Oslo and Bergen.I think NIAN is way over rated. I suggested to friends who went this year to skip NIAN and instead go to Bergen and do boat trips out of there.
I think it depends how much time you have. it would be nice to spend some time exploring the fjords off the boat and getting to do some adventure sports. I ended up writing up a full trip report on my personal blog which may be helpful to others: http://www.youwentwhere.com/?p=6445
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craz
NIAN is done mainly by those with very limited time in Norway or those who just want to do it even after having spent a lot of time in Norway.

Doing just boat trips out of Bergen? It's an option, but time permitting I'd still do NIAN trips again.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
NIAN is done mainly by those with very limited time in Norway or those who just want to do it even after having spent a lot of time in Norway.

Doing just boat trips out of Bergen? It's an option, but time permitting I'd still do NIAN trips again.
there are numerous 1 day (no night) boat trips out of Bergen, so its no longer then doing the NIAN.

I just didnt get what all the hoopla was about regarding the Flam train and the bus ride from Gudvangen And doing a boat trip out of Bergen will keep me on the water alot longer. Yes I thought it was a complete waste of my time, Just loved walking around Bergen and going up the mt and walking down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.