Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

What's best lounge in Stockholm Arlanda?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's best lounge in Stockholm Arlanda?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Oops, then I apologize for giving outdated info. Are you saying that in your last 12 visits, in most cases you have actually been denied entry? And that they are actually scanning (also mobile?) boarding cards? I didn’t think they even had facilities for that.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tsastor
Oops, then I apologize for giving outdated info. Are you saying that in your last 12 visits, in most cases you have actually been denied entry? And that they are actually scanning (also mobile?) boarding cards? I didn’t think they even had facilities for that.
I am saying this: for my last twelve visits to Pontus in the Air, they have required presentation of the Amex Plat/Centurion card and boarding pass of the person presenting the Amex card for use of the Amex lounge part. I haven’t been denied access on arrival into ARN, nor on departure from ARN, but that’s now also because I always have a boarding pass to get/be airside at ARN when I am using any of the ARN Terminal 5 lounges.

Pontus in the Air does have a facility to scan paper and electronic boarding passes; and if the scan of a boarding pass doesn’t work, then they can manually key in the boarding pass information. I saw it again within the past 12 hours. So make that my past 13 times at least.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:15 am

You lead an interesting life, GUWonder. If I read you right you always have your next boarding pass on hand, presumably for the same day or the next one. TBH I have never been in need of an arrival lounge at ARN, although once many years ago I got an urgent need for a lounge without a boarding pass due to an emergency landing. Today my private flights have deteriorated to the likes of FR and since November my business travel has been mostly by land. I'll probably postpone my Amex Plat renewal until they shut down the Nordic Diners Club operations.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:21 pm
Suspended

You lead an interesting life, GUWonder. If I read you right you always have your next boarding pass on hand, presumably for the same day or the next one. TBH I have never been in need of an arrival lounge at ARN, although once many years ago I got an urgent need for a lounge without a boarding pass due to an emergency landing. Today my private flights have deteriorated to the likes of FR and since November my business travel has been mostly by land. I'll probably postpone my Amex Plat renewal until they shut down the Nordic Diners Club operations.
When I have a flight to or from Arlanda on any given date, I always have a boarding pass with Arlanda as the origin or destination. And those are the only times when I use Arlanda lounges. Nothing that interesting about that.

I don’t always have my next flight’s boarding pass on hand; but when I use the Arlanda lounges, I always have a boarding pass with Arlanda as the origin or destination covering the date on which I am using the lounges. Nothing that interesting about that either.

I do a few dozen sub-24 hour trips from/to Stockholm a year as of late, on top of my other trips. Yesterday I was at the Pontus in the Air lounge for more hours than I wanted because of flight delays. The duck leg with lingonberries and purée carrot was about as good as it gets for airport lounge food in Europe or the Americas, with the exception of some first class lounge facilities with menu service.

I wouldn’t say it’s an interesting life as much as I just get around and make use of the programs/benefits that work for me where I am or otherwise frequent. That and I hang out at airports on arrival and before departure for many a sub-24 hour visit. For Stockholm, this means I sometimes eat breakfast on arrival at Pontus in the Air, head to the Clarion Arlanda hotel gym for my shower (courtesy of Nordic Choice Club Platinum status), then head into the city for like 12 hours and then cut out of Stockholm by air or land. And other times I stay for a night or two or three.

For what it’s worth, I managed to get some sort of SJ Prio elite status this year too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 22, 2018 at 4:27 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:33 am

Ok, thank’s for the clarification. So a non-ARN originating boarding pass is sufficient. Makes me wonder why they have then started to ask for boarding passes at all. Maybe I should’t, because of my ancient experience of getting airside without a proper boarding pass. But for the thread purpose it is good to know that the Pontus lounge can indeed be used as an arrival lounge for those in need.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:29 am
Suspended

Ok, thank’s for the clarification. So a non-ARN originating boarding pass is sufficient. Makes me wonder why they have then started to ask for boarding passes at all. Maybe I should’t, because of my ancient experience of getting airside without a proper boarding pass. But for the thread purpose it is good to know that the Pontus lounge can indeed be used as an arrival lounge for those in need.
Probably instituted the boarding pass demand because of how the lounge is paid and because someone didn’t want to pay for non-passenger use of the lounge. Even if Amex budgeted 500 SEK/month in lounge expense per Platinum card holder, it would soon be over budget if an airside airport worker with the Plat card and one guest were to go there every working day. And since news about a very good deal spreads fast nowadays, it wouldn’t be long before Amex Plat would be the airport worker meal pass at ARN. Also, this kind of boarding pass check and information retention thing probably reduces the scope and scale of disputes over being billed excessively by a lounge operator.

The Pontus lounge seems to only want one boarding pass even when coming in with an included guest. Same kind of dynamic seems applicable to ARN Priority Pass lounges too.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:18 am

YMMV, but when I have guested someone in at the PP lounge at T2, but using my Finnair Plus Gold card, they have asked my guest for a boarding pass.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

YMMV, but when I have guested someone in at the PP lounge at T2, but using my Finnair Plus Gold card, they have asked my guest for a boarding pass.
I mostly had been using my BA or AA cards to access that lounge, and only sometimes do I recall them asking for guest boarding passes. Perhaps they are more likely to ask for guest's boarding pass at some lounges if they happen to think the guest may be taking a different flight or may try to bring in too many people. In terms of asking for guest boarding passes, that lounge seems to be more inconsistent as of late than the Pontus lounge, the latter of which seems to never ask me for a guest boarding pass. But I have seen the Pontus lounge ask some other people for guest boarding passes (or even a passport before) but only when someone is entitled to one additional guest over the age of 2 years but tries to bring in more than the included free guest allowance. I've seen people volunteer more than is being asked, but that's people for us.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
... And that they are actually scanning (also mobile?) boarding cards? I didn’t think they even had facilities for that.
They a have a pad where they scan the BP and swipe the Amex card. The app has a "LoungeBuddy" logo in it.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:27 am
Suspended

It will be interesting to see if Pontus lounge facility on arrival — that is, no onward flight boarding pass — is going to end for Platinum cardholders sometime after March 21/22 of this year.

The regular Amex Centurion lounges (at least in the US) are killing off on-arrival Centurion lounge access for Platinum cardholders.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It will be interesting to see if Pontus lounge facility on arrival — that is, no onward flight boarding pass — is going to end for Platinum cardholders sometime after March 21/22 of this year.

The regular Amex Centurion lounges (at least in the US) are killing off on-arrival Centurion lounge access for Platinum cardholders.
For the Pontus lounge facility at Stockholm-ARN, access on arrival ended on or about January 27th, 2019. Since late in January, they have been told to deny arrival passengers with Amex Plat/Centurion cards if only having a same-day arrival boarding pass for ARN.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I will be flying ARN-BRU on SK, and expect to spend several hours at ARN because the flight departs in the late evening and I will be arriving (by ferry from Helsinki) in the morning.

Can I access the Amex Lounge by Pontus before my flight, as it appears to be in the non-EU international terminal?
Old May 5, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I will be flying ARN-BRU on SK, and expect to spend several hours at ARN because the flight departs in the late evening and I will be arriving (by ferry from Helsinki) in the morning.

Can I access the Amex Lounge by Pontus before my flight, as it appears to be in the non-EU international terminal?
Yes. It is in T5 where all SK flights for domestic and Schengen destinations depart from. It’s small, but if you have your own entertainment with you, you will be well fed and there’s descent free drinks (beer, wine).
transportprof likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog
It is in T5 where all SK flights for domestic and Schengen destinations depart from.
Domestic flights depart from T4.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by transportprof
Why don't you spend the day in Stockholm instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.