Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Iceland for my Bachelor Party (input needed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I'm heading to Iceland for my bachelor party. We'll be a total group of 8 (myself included). Heading there over Labor Day weekend.

I'm really excited to have a great, and unique bachelor party. We have some activities planned, but I'm looking for the board's recs for dining, and activities.

I'd like to do a mix of restaurants (probably looking to do 2 dinners out). Are there any must go to restaurants? I'm looking to do 1 nicer meal, and one more casual meal. I also heard that there's a place where you pick out your seafood and they grill it up for you (as a dinner option).

We'll plan on hitting up the nightlife after dinner most nights. Specific recommendations are welcome.

So far our itinerary is:

Thursday- Get in early AM and head to Blue Lagoon. Do lunch there, then check into the hotel. Go to dinner (tentative reservation at Grillmarkadurinn)
Friday- ATV trip planned
Saturday- Open. Was looking at doing a Golden Circle Tour. Our preference is to do a small tour with just the 8 of us
Sunday- No plans. Depart at 5PM

I want to explore local spots/cuisine. Focused on trying to find a blend of things that aren't too expensive for everyone.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
we were very happy with David at icelandhorizon.is for a Golden Circle tour or other. He uses a minibus, might be able to book it just for your group as I think it only holds about 12.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I loved Grillmarket and posted review/photos on my blog http://philatravelgirl.com/solo_dining_reykjavik_thegrillmarket_iceland/

I did a quick four days in November with posts on philatravelgirl blog - private/small tours of golden circle (w/superJeep) w/snowmobile on glacier, south coast waterfalls, (with GeoIceland) and northern lights (superJeep). I was solo and skipped blue lagoon in the cold. Reykjavik was quite the surprise and am sure you'll have a great time.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
Iceland recs:
Blue Lagoon - prebook 3-4 of the private suites they have, if available. Not cheap but VERY worth it especially if you're with a group. If you want massages, which is a pretty special floating experience, also good to book in advance.
Golden Circle - you have enough people to do a private Golden Circle tour and then you aren't subject to other tourists' timing.
If budget isn't a concern, I highly recommend you tour Thorsmork - that is the apex of any Iceland trip (can only do with super jeeps).
Nightlife - walk up and down the Austurstrćti you could throw a rock and hit any one of the clubs/bars/parties going on there.
Reykjavik - it's small but awesome, don't forget to make time to walk around the little streets, see Harpa Hall and the cathedral, local shopping

Dining recs:
Grill Market (same owners as Fish Market - both are great)
Kjallarin (aka The Cellar)
Bill Clinton hot dog stand
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Honestly, what you have listed as an itinerary for your stay is perfect. Solid restaurant choice. (I'll add Kopar and Fish Company as other excellent options).

Have fun
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: FI Gold, BA Bronze, SK Silver
One of my favorite resturants in Reykjavik is SushiSamba (it is not the same SushiSamba as you know from US/UK, and it is not a Sushi place)

Have a look at the menu here:
http://sushisamba.is/en/

For the first time, I would go for "Simply the best", which is a multi course of the most popular items on the menu.

I can also agree that Fishmarket and Grill Market are both really good.

Then if you want to have lots of good beers some evening, you could visit "Mikkeller and Friends", which is on the top floor of a house that has a very interesting and different Pizza place on the first two floors, I could recommend to try that as well for casual dining.

Enjoy your Bachelor Party.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
we were very happy with David at icelandhorizon.is for a Golden Circle tour or other. He uses a minibus, might be able to book it just for your group as I think it only holds about 12.
He sent us in 19 passenger today, good thing it was only 17 I had an empty seat of both sides of me in the last row. @ 6'2" I wouldnt have fit otherwise.

David did the South Coast today, he called our driver to make sure all was OK and turns out it was pouring rain all day down South we had great weather twice we hit showers but otherwise I was in short sleeves and loving it
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:38 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Glad it worked out! We had a full van (smaller) on our trip a couple years ago. I got shotgun, which was nice as I'm also over 6 feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.