Search

Tallinn on Europa Overnight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Tallinn on Europa Overnight

Anyone has done this overnight cruise?
How are B cabins for solo traveler?

It leaves back for HEL at 12:30. Can I finish my walk through old town in 3-4 hours?

Ship gets in at night. What time they really allow you off the ship?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:07 am

The B cabins are crappy but not intolerable. It's luck of the draw when it comes to your cell... sorry, cabinmates, but the real riffraff (youngsters out to get wasted on tax-free booze etc) usually go for the even cheaper C cabins. You might want to look into the B2 cabins, some of which are for single passengers.

Disembarkation starts at 8 AM. You can do a quick tour of the city center in 3-4 hours, but you'll probably want to take the bus instead of walking -- there's not much to see along the way other than liquor stores.

All in all, I'd recommend a day trip instead, it's only ~90 min on the faster boats which means you get a lot more time to explore.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by jpatokal
You might want to look into the B2 cabins, some of which are for single passengers
You can book any cabin for single passenger use. I've often taken a four person cabin for myself.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by tsastor
You can book any cabin for single passenger use. I've often taken a four person cabin for myself.
Sure, but then you're paying for four people, and what are you going to do with three empty beds?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:25 am

The pricing is not linear. And if you live in Finland or Sweden, you can often get your cabin for very little money.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:40 am
Original Poster

I will be in Finland for a day about 3 weeks before this intended Europa overnite to Tallinn. Anyway to take advantage of fares offered to locals?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:36 am

If you are able to join Club Silja and/or Viking Club. Especially Viking has great offers right from the start.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Looked into both clubs. Is there a way for US based person to become a member?

Where are last minute special fares advertised? which local newspaper or website?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by desi
Looked into both clubs. Is there a way for US based person to become a member?

Where are last minute special fares advertised? which local newspaper or website?
You probably need an address in Sweden or Finland to join.

Viking used to have all coupons available on their website, not sure about Silja.

Once you join one of the clubs, you will start getting offers per email/mail.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

post trip comments

first of thanks for everyone who helped by posting replies.

Here are some of the notes:

- could not find any special discounts in local newspapers

- club membership for Tallink Silja is not easy to get (for non-Nordic person)

- various language website have slightly different rates but difference was not significant and on many days it disappeared

- Europa is a good size ship (almost as big as smallest carnival or HAL ship)

- Cruise ticket on is the only alternative on HEL-TLL route that allows you to stay overnite, leave your luggage in your cabin and also lets you rest on the way back (specifically Viking does not allow this)

- big negative is that you get only 4 hours in Tallinn which might be just enough for someone doing a walking tour overview but certainly not enough to enjoy this beautiful old town

- Best to get 4 person cabin even for 1 or 2 person use (price is per cabin, not per person) as it is slightly bigger and you get more towels/sheets

- Not much difference between outside A cabins and inside B/B2 cabins

- food on board is expensive as expected but there are plenty of options

- breakfast buffet is a ripoff - not worth it

- ship is big enough for any one with motion sickness

Overall a huge bargain at Euro 45 roundtrip transport with 1 night accommodation

Eckero line has day departure with fares of only 10 euro - useful for someone wishing to go one way without having to pay high one-way fares

Compared to Viking, Tallink Silja has lot more options allowing day trip of various durations (and their newer ships take only 2 hours for crossing compared to 90 minutes by Lindaline's small boats.

Linda line has too many cancellations and also has motion sickness issue for some but saves 30 min over Tallink Silja.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Free at last!
Yes, I've done it!

I did the overnight on Europa in May 2013.

The B2 cabin is your best bet. It's fine for 2 people, let alone 1.

Price-wise, don't spend much more than 50 euros for the trip. Pricing is dynamic and generally cheaper if you book at least a couple of weeks out. Weekends cost more.

For discounts all you need to do is "Like" the various shipping lines' facebook pages as they list their promo codes there. For Tallink, like the Tallink Suomi page for promotions.

The normal one way fare is 36 euros. Sometimes, the different companies sell it for 18 euros.

For 30 euros or so, you can stay in a private room at Marine Keskus, a hostel 100m or so from the Tallink terminal.

As far as getting off Europa, you can get off and off as you please between arrival and departure in Tallinn. Whatever you do, be early by 30 minutes or so for the departure. Once they close the gate, 15 or 20 minutes before actual departure, that's it.

Now to throw a spanner in the works.

Unless you're going for nightlife in Tallinn (viz. Hell Hunt), you're better off taking the 2 night mini cruise from Stockholm that gives you a full day in Tallinn, better cabins, better on board entertainment. As well, Stockholm usually has much better deals on all the different mini cruises and party cruises.

In this case "like" Tallink Silja Sverige on fb for the best deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.