Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connection time in Oslo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Minimum connection time in Oslo?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm trying to find an inexpensive flight from Rome back home to Orlando next summer for my teenage daughter and myself. Norwegian recently announced direct flights between Oslo and Orlando beginning next year.

Flights depart Rome at 12:50 and arrive in Oslo at 16:00, but they depart Oslo for Orlando at 16:20. I have no idea how large the airport is, but is this even remotely feasible if we use only carry on luggage?

If not, then it looks like I need to look for a combination of hotels near Rome/Oslo to stay two extra days until the next flight to Orlando. Any recommendations for safe and comfortable hotel (doesn't need to be fancy) near Oslo airport (or near the Oslo train station) with minimum out of pocket expense? Easiest way to get from the recommended hotel back to the airport? Recommendations on what to see during one day in Oslo?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:58 am

Hi evcass - welcome to Flyertalk!

I wasn't going to respond as I didn't think I was sufficiently qualified (have only connected through OSL once, a couple of years ago), but I can't imagine 20 minutes being enough at any airport, except the tiniest ones. Mine was 55 minutes, and I don't think I ever stopped walking.

Is your flight from Rome on Norwegian too, and are they selling the two as a connection? (Unlikely, but I thought I'd ask)

Can't help much with hotels, except to tell you that there is a Radisson right at the airport. Don't know if they do any good deals because when we stayed there it was a last-minute booking because of a last-minute change of plan caused by a landslide. When I've stayed in Oslo itself in recent years I have always stayed with friends.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Don't even think about it. I don't know the minimum connection time, but it's a lot more than 20 minutes. You wont be able to book it on one ticket, and you will need to check in at the counter at OSL (no, Norwegian don't have online check in). Check in for flight to USA closes 1 hour before departure, and you will need to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure.

So I would sugggest an overnight stay in Oslo if you decide to fly Norwegian OSL-MCO.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:42 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
As martinfoss has stated, 20 minutes INT/INT is not possible at OSL, MCT is 45 minutes on a through ticket.

July is not bad for hotels in Oslo. Do not stay at the airport. The cheaper hotels require a paid shuttle bus to the airport to catch a train/bus to the center, so any saving will be eaten up by the extra transportation costs.

To get to the center, the local train (NSB, not Flytoget) is the cheapest, at NOK 90 (includes connection within an hour to subways, buses and trams in Oslo).

It is possible to find hotel rooms in Oslo in July for under NOK 700. Pleas note that all taxes are included in the price, and usually a full hot buffet breakfast as well. The area around the Central Station is not the nicest, but safe, and has a number of OK hotels. For lower priced, but fully adequate hotels, I'd suggest you go for www.thonhotels.no, a local chain, e.g. Thon Hotel Munch or Astoria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.