FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   Norway's Fjords - advice needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/1481208-norways-fjords-advice-needed.html)

Flapster Jul 1, 2013 10:37 am

Norway's Fjords - advice needed

Hi guys,

I am planning a short (3-5 days) trip to Norway, and want to experience the best of Norway's fjords (given the short time constraint).

After doing some research, I think Norway in a Nutshell seems like a good option, but the problem is that all their tours seem to take you via Oslo, which adds on 2 days-ish to an itinerary.

I'm not fussed about seeing Oslo, would prefer to spend all my time in the fjord region.

The main bits I want to see/do are:

Preikestolen (including climbing up to the top)
Sognefjord
Flam Railway
Geirangerfjord (if not too far North)

Can anyone offer any tips/advice?

I'm thinking of flying in to Bergen - would it be possible to book whilst there? I will probably be going at fairly peak season (end of August).

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

chrisljo Jul 2, 2013 11:08 am

Stavanger and Bergen are both good entry points as they both have flights from LHR, but Oslo also works great for Norway in a Nutshell.

If you arrive in Oslo it will only take 5 hours train to Myrdal, not much more than from Bergen. Arrive at OSL in the morning, take the 1201 (or 1506) train to Bergen and you're in Flaam 1810 (or 2145). Spend the night in Flaam, travel to Bergen and then to Sognefjorden / Geirangerforden. Fjord Tours can arrange everything including hotels, the tours are very flexible.

If you have time left take a bus/speedboat to Stavanger and see Preikestolen.

Flapster Jul 3, 2013 6:48 am

That's great - thank you.

Things are starting to come together!

mrsjon01 Jul 3, 2013 2:46 pm

I might do it a bit differently. Totally recommend Aalesund, it's a gorgeous city and not to be missed on a trip to western Norway! One highlight for us was taking a day trip on the Hurtigruten cruise line to Geraingerfjord...rather than booking a full cruise, we were able to hop on for Aalesund - Gerainger - Aalesund for relatively cheap. If you use Aalesund as your home base, then you can easily see the rest of your list in a few days.

There is also the option of flying into Aalesund rather than Bergen - we flew to Aalesund via Oslo. That way you'd be closer to what you are interested in seeing. You might be able to find an inexpensive flight on Norwegian or even a LCC.

Feel free to PM if you'd like more info on Aalesund. Have a great trip!

chrisljo Jul 3, 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrsjon01 (Post 21035855)

There is also the option of flying into Aalesund rather than Bergen - we flew to Aalesund via Oslo. That way you'd be closer to what you are interested in seeing. You might be able to find an inexpensive flight on Norwegian or even a LCC.
!

Good advice, if he flys SAS he should be able to get to Aalesund on one ticket, and if it's an S* award the extra leg is almost free.

LowlyDLsilver Jul 5, 2013 10:19 am

Rather than Flam, we stayed in Balestrand, hopped the ferry over to Vik to see the Stave Church, then on to Stavanger to see Priekestolen. When headed for Priekestolen, we took the cliff trail up and the other one down.

Between the ferries/busses and the hike up and back, allow a full day to do it. Start early, you want to allow enough time to take it all in unrushed. It's definitely bucket list material.

If you're into art, there's a nice gallery up by the Rica Park Hotel, forget the name but one of the locals will chime in if you're interested.

tsastor Jul 6, 2013 6:59 am

Great info, keep it coming! We are going to Bergen in August as well. Just paid twice the rate for the Bergen hotel in comparison to Oslo and prices were going up by the week..

chrisljo Jul 6, 2013 8:23 am

Originally Posted by tsastor (Post 21049060)
Great info, keep it coming! We are going to Bergen in August as well. Just paid twice the rate for the Bergen hotel in comparison to Oslo and prices were going up by the week..

Bergen in August is probarly the most expensive room you can get in Norway, the city don't have enough hotel rooms as it is and August is high season.

If you got a cancelable rate I see the Radissons still has some award availability if you have Club Carlson points or can trade.

tsastor Jul 6, 2013 8:46 am

Took a non-cancelable Scandic summer rate, still ok. Will use Scandic points if we stay longer. Oslo was surprisingly inexpensive when you factor in the great breakfast and Scandic friends coupon.

Flapster Jul 8, 2013 4:21 am

Thanks for the extra info.

Think I've decided on doing the Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour with the RIB boat tour added on - night in Flam (as it's easier to arrange than staying elsewhere) and Flam railway etc.

Then taking the express boat down to Stavanger, and doing this tour to hike the Pulpit's Rock

http://www.rodne.no/cruiseandhike

Any idea how that trip sounds? Do-able?

4 nights it seems..

chrisljo Jul 8, 2013 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 21059203)
Thanks for the extra info.

Think I've decided on doing the Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour with the RIB boat tour added on - night in Flam (as it's easier to arrange than staying elsewhere) and Flam railway etc.

Then taking the express boat down to Stavanger, and doing this tour to hike the Pulpit's Rock

http://www.rodne.no/cruiseandhike

Any idea how that trip sounds? Do-able?

4 nights it seems..

Sounds busy but very do-able, you will enjoy yourself.