Wiki Posts
Search

things to do in Stockholm area?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
things to do in Stockholm area?

A 70+ year old family member is flying into ARN mid-August for a family reunion. This will more-than-likely be his last trip there. As he is flying from southern Florida, this will make for long travel days and we are suggesting he stay there a week or so. He wants to see his family members, then fly back after 4 days. He heard there may be a crayfish(?) festival around that time, what else can we recommend for him to do to stay and visit with his family a bit longer?
It was recommended he not fly on the Norwegian Airlines but either United or SAS. Comments? He is cringing at the price of a business fare(compared to economy fare) but we are trying to talk him into that also.

Nancy

Last edited by nanp; Apr 14, 2013 at 9:34 am
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
There is no festival, it's just that time of year that people usually eat crayfish: http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Lifest...rayfish-party/

Is he staying at a city hotel in Stockholm or somewhere more on the countryside? August is often very nice for outdoor relaxing, just reading or talking over a cup of coffee; dry climate, long bright evenings, hopefully no rain. Quite refreshing compared to Florida in August, in my opinion.

That said, If I were 70+ and found it tiresome to be away from home too long, I'm not sure if I would appreciate if the younger generation tried to tell me what to do with my time and my money...

Some museums in Stockholm: Vasa, the Royal Palace, the new ABBA museum (Expensive tickets, but maybe worth it? Opens in May.)

For less cramped seating without business class food and drink luxury, have a look at SAS' Economy Extra, sometimes the fares ex-US are decent: http://www.flysas.com/en/Travel-info...ental-flights/ But the total travel time will of course be longer with a transfer at EWR or ORD than with Norwegian's direct flight. For a discussion about the latter, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...h-arn-fll.html

Last edited by tourist; Apr 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:09 am
Original Poster

" I'm not sure if I would appreciate if the younger generation tried to tell me what to do with my time and my money..."
Point taken.
Will look into the SAS Economy Extra for him.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tourist
If I were 70+ ... I'm not sure if I would appreciate if the younger generation tried to tell me [about] the new ABBA museum ....

cheers,

Henry
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
LOL!

You're right, we're talking about the Elvis generation here.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
My father is 80 and I remember he went to sleep after ABBA's performance at the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton, saying he had now already seen the winner...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Problem solved, we did not have to make any suggestions. As his niece and sister are also flying to Stockholm for the family reunion and are flying business, they booked his flight for him so he is flying with them in business from EWR. He has 4 older sisters, and also the niece, so he is used to being told what to do.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:46 pm
In memoriam

One of your questions (how to go) has been answered. I agree with the business class decision (and we also flew Florida/EWR/ARN).

My husband and I (now 68 and 65 - and from Florida) were in Stockholm last September. For a week. There's plenty to do there for a week - especially for "slow travel people" like us. I very much recommend getting a Stockholm card - http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/stockholmcard/ - which covers almost everything anyone would want to see in Stockholm - plus free public transport as well. Also - it's not like we had a tight budget (or any budget) - but there are a lot of little museums in Stockholm which cost more than they should IMO - and - with the Stockholm card - you don't mind going to a "one hour place" that would cost $10-15/per person even with a senior discount.

I wrote up various aspects of our trip in this forum. Look up my messages if you're so inclined. For example - thread about Stockholm card and other things:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordi...lm-card-3.html

FWIW - to others here - my husband and I are too young to be part of the "Elvis generation" - the Rolling Stones is more like it . Robyn

Last edited by robyng; May 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 7:59 pm
In memoriam

And just in case anyone else has something snarky to say about us "old folks" - there's only one member of ABBA who's younger than I am (they're pretty much my husband's age - 67-68 - not exactly spring chickens). Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.