Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Silja Line Overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki?

Silja Line Overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki?

Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Trying to decide between the Viking or Silja line for an overnight cruise in a few months time. I took the overnight cruise with my family around 25 years ago but don't remember much about the trip. Looking for advice on which cruise to take.

Will be with my wife & 2 kids (aged 10 & 8) & this will be the first cruise they would be taking. The Silja line seems to be more expensive of the 2. For that price I can get a much better cabin on the Viking line. Is the higher price on the Silja line justified or should I just go with a better cabin on the Viking line?

Also, what are the restaurants like onboard? We are not really buffet people & would prefer to order ŕ la carte.

Any suggestions on things to do in Helsinki during the 7 hour stop?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
IMO, the Viking Line cabins are better value than Silja’s. On the high end (Suites, Commodore class), however, Viking Line is lacking. Silja’s points program (Club One) is much better than Viking’s. Also, I find Silja’s a la carte restaurants to be better and more varied. I usually eat at Happy Lobster or Grill House, which do not take reservations in advance. With Viking Line I usually go with the buffet.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold: HHonors Diamond; Accor Silver
i did Helsinki - Stockholm - Helsinki in August 22 on Viking, and had one of the large de-lux' cabins on the top deck.
There is an a la carte restaurant, book in advance. Food was great and service excellent.

Helsinki for a day; Cathedrals, wandering, tram to the Sibieus monument, just tram riding, A lovely city!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RHWine
i did Helsinki - Stockholm - Helsinki in August 22 on Viking, and had one of the large de-lux' cabins on the top deck.
There is an a la carte restaurant, book in advance. Food was great and service excellent.

Helsinki for a day; Cathedrals, wandering, tram to the Sibieus monument, just tram riding, A lovely city!
Thanks. I booked the Seaside Premium with balcony but haven't booked any meals or restaurant. We probably won't be up early enough to make it for breakfast before the ship docks so we were basically looking at options for dinner.

We definitely have tram riding on the agenda. Wife wants to do some local shopping.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:23 pm

I checked out the Viking Gabriella a la carte yesterday on my way to Helsinki. It was a mixed bag. The shrimp as a starter turned out to be shrimp paste on a standard piece of toast. A clear disappointment. The main meal with turbot and lobster was superb, however, and my travel companions stated that their pike-perch was excellent as well.

Btw. We went for the standard breakfast, which again was nothing special. E.g. the bacon and sausages were way too salty.
RHWine likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would anyone know if there is an option to upgrade your cabin on the Viking line?

Do they offer this at the time of boarding or even before boarding? If so then is it just the difference in the rate for the 2 rooms?
Old May 16, 2023, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
Would anyone know if there is an option to upgrade your cabin on the Viking line?

Do they offer this at the time of boarding or even before boarding? If so then is it just the difference in the rate for the 2 rooms?
Have you tried updating your reservation on-line? Otherwise I suggest you call them.
If there are free cabins, they should even be able to sell you an upgrade on-board. Not sure about the prices, though. If you have booked a cruise, you should probably try to buy an upgrade before the cruise starts.
Old May 16, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsastor
Have you tried updating your reservation on-line? Otherwise I suggest you call them.
If there are free cabins, they should even be able to sell you an upgrade on-board. Not sure about the prices, though. If you have booked a cruise, you should probably try to buy an upgrade before the cruise starts.
There is no option when I check my reservation online. I already have a nice room booked but if I get a good deal on one of the suites then I would like to upgrade to that.

I'll start by sending them an email to ask. If that doesn't work then I'll call. There are still 6 weeks left for the cruise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.