Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Silja Line Overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki?

Silja Line Overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki?

Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tsastor
I guess you mean that there is a shuttle bus from the terminal, as the info is on the page you provided...

The bus nowadays continues to Cityterminalen and the ticket can be bought onboard.

You can also take the local bus but that involves a short walk.
I ended up taking the bus to terminal. After a question or two ended up across street and a few blocks to Sheraton.

No issues at all
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any updates on this thread? Looking to take Silja on Wednesday June 19th from Stockholm to either Helsinki or Tallinn and the prices are through the roof. Tips to get the rate down? I'd of course like A class or better, but they seem pricey.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by tadair
Any updates on this thread? Looking to take Silja on Wednesday June 19th from Stockholm to either Helsinki or Tallinn and the prices are through the roof. Tips to get the rate down? I'd of course like A class or better, but they seem pricey.
This is just before Midsummer, which is big in Finland and Sweden as well as the beginning of summer holidays for many, so it might be difficult to get the price down.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Your trip is in June which is generally less expensive than July-August and on Wednesday which is cheaper than Thursday-Saturday. Especially Friday is expensive. So the following remains:
  • Viking Line is cheaper but does not do Stockholm-Tallinn
  • Booking a cruise (immediate return) is usually cheaper than a one-way
    -- e.g. Stockholm-Tallinn-Stockholm in B-class = 57 EUR
  • Look out for discount codes
  • Join Club ONE
  • A B-class cabin has the best value/price ratio

Last edited by tsastor; Apr 10, 2013 at 11:30 am
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:31 pm

Your trip is in June which is generally less expensive than July-August and on Wednesday which is cheaper than Thursday-Saturday. Especially Friday is expensive. So the following remains:
  • Join Club ONE
Thanks for the information. Any thoughts on where to find discount codes? Tried a quick google search and didn't really find anything. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:21 pm

Thanks for the information. Any thoughts on where to find discount codes? Tried a quick google search and didn't really find anything. Thanks!
It is a bit early to find discount codes for June, at least I didn't find any. On the other hand Stockholm-Tallinn-Stockholm in B-class = 57 EUR is not a bad deal IMHO. And the price may go up later.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:50 pm

It is a bit early to find discount codes for June, at least I didn't find any. On the other hand Stockholm-Tallinn-Stockholm in B-class = 57 EUR is not a bad deal IMHO. And the price may go up later.
Thanks for the tips. Just got 2 A Premium rooms for 77 EUR a piece. Certainly can't complain about that.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
  • Join Club ONE
How long does it take to get a membership number for Club One?

Do the various Silja Line websites accept foreign credit cards or am I forced to book on the International website?

Last edited by startpacking; Apr 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:28 pm

Very confused, how do you get this rate? I'm looking at a one way from Stockholm to Tallinn and it's pricing out at more for a B cabin midweek in June. Are you saying a return B cabin on this route is 57 euros? What am I doing wrong? Which website should I use? I only need a one way, is it possible to get off the ship in Tallinn and not return to Stockholm?

Last edited by startpacking; Apr 16, 2013 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by startpacking
How long does it take to get a membership number for Club One?
I think you get it immediately, but it can take up to four weeks to get the physical card.
Do the various Silja Line websites accept foreign credit cards or am I forced to book on the International website?
I don't think there is a difference between the websites/website parts in this respect.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:40 pm

Very confused, how do you get this rate? I'm looking at a one way from Stockholm to Tallinn and it's pricing out at more for a B cabin midweek in June. Are you saying a return B cabin on this route is 57 euros? What am I doing wrong? Which website should I use? I only need a one way, is it possible to get off the ship in Tallinn and not return to Stockholm?
You are probably trying to book a "route trip". You should book a cruise:
http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/
Select online-booking, select cruise tab.

This cruise includes time in Tallinn and I don't know that there has ever been any control if you will reboard the ship or not. And what could they do, probably some people "miss the boat" on their way back anyway. This is not that much different than booking a return flight ticket when it is cheaper than a one way.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:23 am

You are probably trying to book a "route trip". You should book a cruise:
http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/
Select online-booking, select cruise tab.

This cruise includes time in Tallinn and I don't know that there has ever been any control if you will reboard the ship or not. And what could they do, probably some people "miss the boat" on their way back anyway. This is not that much different than booking a return flight ticket when it is cheaper than a one way.
Thanks for the information. You're right some people will miss the ship. I have been to all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico where you need to show the staff a check out voucher (which you get from reception when you officially check out) if you leave with luggage. Just wondering if Silja did something similar. With such a difference in price, why would people book the one way trips? I am aware Silja sells "cruises" at discounted prices and want people to pay for additional purchases onboard, this is how they make their money. I remember taking the ship between Stockholm and Helsinki some years ago and most of the people were only interested in drinking and partying - I'm sure some of these people had hefty bar tabs.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:42 am

Thanks for the information. You're right some people will miss the ship. I have been to all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico where you need to show the staff a check out voucher (which you get from reception when you officially check out) if you leave with luggage. Just wondering if Silja did something similar. With such a difference in price, why would people book the one way trips?
E.g because their company is paying or because they are taking their car with them.

I have never seen any kind of control the kind you are describing. The tickets are checked when you board the ship, not when you are disembarking. And cruises are taken in the other direction too, so many people are leaving with luggage.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:50 am

OR because they don't read Flyertalk!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:36 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
E.g because their company is paying or because they are taking their car with them.

I have never seen any kind of control the kind you are describing. The tickets are checked when you board the ship, not when you are disembarking. And cruises are taken in the other direction too, so many people are leaving with luggage.
Heh, in February I was in a seminar in land. On the way back they didn't even check our tickets as we walked to the ship that then continued to Turku...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.