Reload this Page >

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:21 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Thanks, that's a good starting place for the tour.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:43 pm

My partner and I are going to be in Iceland for 6 days next month. So, here's my two cents coming from my post-research, pre-arrival stance:

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Car hire is pricey.
It really is if you're visiting during the winter or want to drive into icy areas (e.g. glaciers). I rented a 4x4 for two days through SADCards and they gave me the cheapest quote of $83.50/day. But! I'm the do-your-own tour type, so I took the plunge and mapped out the specific geological wonders I'm interested in.

Also, I heard the Blue Lagoon is pretty nasty if you look into the water (think thousands of tourists and their body hairs coalescing in water all day...). Many locals suggest visitors to stop by one of the many local thermal pools all around Iceland or a hot spring. This is an awesome link that lists all the swimming holes in Iceland.

I'm prepping for a full itinerary on my blog, but it's not quite ready. If you want to get some inspiration for destinations, I have mostly completed a Google map that has most points of interests I want to hit when I'm personally there.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:34 am

I'm spending 5 nights there in early March. We ruled out hiring a car because of the ice and snow (being from Australia I don't have experience driving in those conditions)

Going with a local tour company to explore the South Coast, hopefully see the Northern Lights on the drive home.

Going with a cheaper company to do the ring road and (the highlight) some snorkeling in a glacial lake! I should pack some duty free whiskey for post snorkel warming.

Brrrrrrrrr

I should make a trip report post trip.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:49 am

I heard the Blue Lagoon is pretty nasty if you look into the water (think thousands of tourists and their body hairs coalescing in water all day...)
When I looked in it (the water in the Blue Lagoon), there was nothing sinister, and the silica gel did WONDERS for my poor psoriasis. Definitely worth doing ... I went to a swimming pool in Reykjavik and the Myvatn baths, but whilst the water was nice, it was in no way as therapeutic for my skin!! And the views were less breathtaking, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker I suppose! ENJOY ... but don't forget that many places have communal changing areas (ladies and gents ARE separated) but you are expected to shower in your birthday suit.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
When I looked in it (the water in the Blue Lagoon), there was nothing sinister, and the silica gel did WONDERS for my poor psoriasis. Definitely worth doing ... I went to a swimming pool in Reykjavik and the Myvatn baths, but whilst the water was nice, it was in no way as therapeutic for my skin!! And the views were less breathtaking, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker I suppose! ENJOY ... but don't forget that many places have communal changing areas (ladies and gents ARE separated) but you are expected to shower in your birthday suit.
I've been to the Blue Lagoon a few times. There is nothing nasty about it at all. Also 100% of the lagoon is refreshed with new water every 48 hours. In my mind it is the cleanest pool on the planet.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:55 am
tyn

Originally Posted by Turanga
Also, I heard the Blue Lagoon is pretty nasty if you look into the water (think thousands of tourists and their body hairs coalescing in water all day...). Many locals suggest visitors to stop by one of the many local thermal pools all around Iceland or a hot spring. This is an awesome link that lists all the swimming holes in Iceland.
Those thousands of tourists and locals are required to shower and scrub themselves well before they are allowed into the lagoon. The showers are communal (separated for women and men) and you shower naked under the eagle eye of lagoon staff.
Personally I found the water clean and the lagoon divine, felt so good I though my bones had melted.

Some of the thermal bathing holes around the island are really holes, i.e. largish or not so largish holes in the ground with a thermal spring. They can be cramped (and crowded being free) and muddy.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

five days in Iceland - what should I do

I'd love to hear about your suggestions and experiences.

Just my wife and I. We love outdoors and museums and restaurants and enjoy driving in foreign countries if called for.

This is in July.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:53 pm

In no fixed order ... the Golden Circle Tour, relax in the Blue Lagoon, take a tour to Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon (a full day but SO worth it), a trip of the Rejkjavik area ...

If you want to tailor make, I would invite you to contact Iceland On Track who hosted us a few years ago - their website is http://always-iceland.com/ - and let them show you the interior* as well as the famous sights (* they have the expertise of 'no roading' that we can only dream about!).

Last edited by Alsacienne; Jun 3, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by richard
I'd love to hear about your suggestions and experiences.
Definitely the Golden Circle Tour (which includes a visit to Geysir/Strokkur and Gullfoss).
And definitely Blue Lagoon as well.

Reykjavik itself is, in my opinion, not very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geysir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullfoss

http://www.re.is/DayTours/GeysirandG...Golden-Circle/
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL
There are so many options:

Day 1. Climb Mt. Esja. After a long day of hiking, soak in 36 C geothermally heated water at Laugardalslaug pool--at night.

2. Go on a whale watch boat ride. Soak in 36 C water at Laugardalslaug at night.

3. Buy a one-day Reykjavik Visitor Card and ride the public bus. This is a great way to see Reykjavik and the outskirts. Soak in 36 C water at night.

4. Wonder around Reykjavik city center by foot at midnight and enjoy the daylight, preceded by a visit to Laugardalslaug.

5. Finally, do the obligatory Golden Circle tour which takes you to Gulfoss, Geyser and Thingvellir. And Laugardalslaug for your final night.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Jun 4, 2013 at 3:56 am
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Rent a car and go around the island

You have got great suggestions already in prior posts. 5 days is also enough to rent a car and go around the island, which is what I did.

Akureyri (and surrounding areas) in the North is interesting and the drive around Eastern Iceland (hugging the coast) is also very nice.

Might as well check it out before they sell the island to the Chinese and then you may not be able to do it any longer!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Highlights of my visit to Iceland were the Golden Circle Tour and a visit to Vik and the South Region.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Iceland in October

So I'm planning on taking a few trips in the fall/winter. Thinking of heading to Reykjavik, Iceland in early October for a long weekend (Thursday evening flight with a Monday return). Ticket seems to be about $550 or so on Icelandair...not bad!

Of course it'll be chilly, but that's OK! Will this be a fun destination for an early 20's guy traveling alone? More fun with a friend, but who knows if I can find someone to go with.

What sort of expenses should I expect? Any recommendations on an inexpensive but convenient place to stay?

And lastly, anyone have any idea if I can manage to get AA miles for this flight? It doesn't seem like AA or any OW members fly from BOS to KEF (or even JFK, LGA, etc to KEF).
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:56 pm

Went to Iceland in May last year. It's a beautiful country, THE most scenic place I have ever visited. My wife and I are in our early 30s, and we like to visit scenic places more so than "happening" places. So, it totally depends on what you like.

Reykjavik has a lot going on, but any other place will be just scenic (and very calm or "boring", if you will).

Iceland is expensive, but less so after the economic crash a few years ago (don't mention it to anyone there though, they don't like talking about it). Hotels can be had for $125-$150. Food is much more expensive. A sandwich lunch for two can be $50.

You can probably drive from Reykjavik to the East end of the country, considering the time you have. We drove to Djupivogur and back. Also went to Olafsvik towards West. We stayed at the Radisson in Reykjavik, and other small hotels elsewhere.

People are incredibly friendly. You will have a great time. You can get miles from Icelandair into your Alaska Airlines account, not AA.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Compare the price of your trip versus doing Icelandic TATL and using their stopover program for a free long weekend there, including hotels and other stuff. It might pay to spend a few days in Europe on the trip. Unfortunately, I don't think the extra miles would count for much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.