FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by setho212
I've never been to Iceland, but I am going on a 5 night trip in 2 weeks. The Blue Lagoon is located very near the airport, so why not go there on the way from the airport to your hotel? I know you can buy a package for transport from the airport to the Blue Lagoon and then to your hotel. That would help you kill time if its too early to check into the hotel and will also help you relax after the flight. You'll also waste less time travelling back and forth.

The day tours on Thursday sound pretty hectic to me. It might just be my style of travel, but a large group tour for 14 hours where you only make quick stops in each location doesn't sound appealing to me. Why not rent a car and do it on your own? Better yet, spend one less day in Reykjavik and spend a night in the country. Then you won't be nearly as rushed. The only problem is that you might have trouble finding accommodations so close to your trip.
Like U Ive never been there.If I love it nothing stops me from going back again

I wont know if I can check-in early until I get there. Personally from what I read Im not a fan of hitting the BL either when 1st arriving or day of departure. Besides with Weds being change the hotel day hitting the BL is a good way to use that day since the other Day tours leave in the morn and get back way after Im suppose to have checked out

My hotels are both Rads and were booked when the B1GI nights for those with the CC was doable using pts

I also wouldnt assume that the tour to Joku will be a large group or a reg large size tour bus. Seems they will go with whatever they need to per spaces sold

As for no car simple wasnt gonna pay $600+ for 4 days maybe if and when I go back (actually when I checked it was closer to $800)
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by craz
Like U Ive never been there.If I love it nothing stops me from going back again

I wont know if I can check-in early until I get there. Personally from what I read Im not a fan of hitting the BL either when 1st arriving or day of departure. Besides with Weds being change the hotel day hitting the BL is a good way to use that day since the other Day tours leave in the morn and get back way after Im suppose to have checked out

My hotels are both Rads and were booked when the B1GI nights for those with the CC was doable using pts

I also wouldnt assume that the tour to Joku will be a large group or a reg large size tour bus. Seems they will go with whatever they need to per spaces sold

As for no car simple wasnt gonna pay $600+ for 4 days maybe if and when I go back (actually when I checked it was closer to $800)
Well you don't have to rent a car for all 4 days. Reykjavik doesn't realty require a car. You could rent a car for 2 days. Hit the Golden Circle on the way to an overnight stopover point and then visit the South Coast sites the next day. I also don't know where you were being quoted such a high price. You might want to check out sixt. The prices there are quite reasonable. Considering you will be doing a quick trip, you wont really have much time for off-roading so you won't need a 4WD vehicle.

I personally just prefer not to use tour groups in general regardless of size, I prefer not to be shepherded around only enough time at each location to take a quick photo. Then again if you are planning to go back I guess a tour could be a good intro to see what you want to explore later.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:35 am

I took the IE tour to Jokulsarlon a few years ago; a long day but thoroughly worth it. I didn't feel that I was rushed at any of the en-route stops, saw great waterfalls and the river delta plus a boat ride. Learned a great deal from the guide not only about what I was seeing but also about Icelandic life and culture. To this day I remember my trip with pleasure. The only advantage I'd suggest is to bring packed meals to give you more 'me-time' at the lunch stop and on the way back at 'tea-time'.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
I took the IE tour to Jokulsarlon a few years ago; a long day but thoroughly worth it. I didn't feel that I was rushed at any of the en-route stops, saw great waterfalls and the river delta plus a boat ride. Learned a great deal from the guide not only about what I was seeing but also about Icelandic life and culture. To this day I remember my trip with pleasure. The only advantage I'd suggest is to bring packed meals to give you more 'me-time' at the lunch stop and on the way back at 'tea-time'.
From what I read they say that the Amphibian is a rip-off as you cant get close to the bergs or do down some very narrow water ways due to the size of the vessel. Also read where some folks said if you simply walk along the shore line you can get almost all of the same pics.

There is suppose to also be a Zodiac boat tour more $$ but you get close up and is a better experience.

I emailed IE if the Zodiacs are an option and how much. IE is charging 4500isk for the Amphib ride while a few others (more expensive w/o the boat ride) wanted only 3700 more and 6700 more for the Zodiac

Right now Im leaning to exclude the Amphib ride as to me its screaming "Ride the Ducks" which many US Citys have, and between the size of the vessel and the noise, Im thinking spending the time walking around might be the better option. The Zodiac is a 60 min ride while the Amphib is 40 min. I think they let folks eat at Joku so by nixing that I will have the time for the Zodiac if theres space when I get there
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by setho212
Well you don't have to rent a car for all 4 days. Reykjavik doesn't realty require a car. You could rent a car for 2 days. Hit the Golden Circle on the way to an overnight stopover point and then visit the South Coast sites the next day. I also don't know where you were being quoted such a high price. You might want to check out sixt. The prices there are quite reasonable. Considering you will be doing a quick trip, you wont really have much time for off-roading so you won't need a 4WD vehicle.

I personally just prefer not to use tour groups in general regardless of size, I prefer not to be shepherded around only enough time at each location to take a quick photo. Then again if you are planning to go back I guess a tour could be a good intro to see what you want to explore later.
I'll leave it at this I remember what it was like in Costa Rica when I went by myself, seeing Im doing this trip by myself,I think I will stick to the tours, from what Ive been told and read they really dont force you out the front door and hurry up and take any pics you want as you immediately are told to load up via the back door. If Im not going off road then it makes sense to do the organized tours.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
If you're not doing a boat ride at Jokulsarlon there are other iceberg lagoons nearby with many fewer tourists getting in the way of your photo ops.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
If you're not doing a boat ride at Jokulsarlon there are other iceberg lagoons nearby with many fewer tourists getting in the way of your photo ops.
I heard back this morn from RE and they said they dont book the Zodiacs. When I looked at their pic again of the amphib, I know the noise those things make and 95% Im gonna skip it and save the $35. Could be if the Zodiac has space when we get there that I will do that. But between either the amphib or just walking around , Id rather just walk around

I think people get lost with the novelty of being on an amphib, rather then the ride itself. Since from reviews Ive read they say almost everything you see on that boat can be seen by walking along the shore, and a 40 min ride doesnt give you much time in the lagoon
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Iceland for 2 Days

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a google map of things to see in Iceland? I thought I saw one in a thread a couple weeks back, but can't find it. My group of friends and I are probably going to rent a car and go sightseeing ourselves which is why a map would be helpful to see what is close to each other.

Are lava caves and glacier hikes doable by yourself or is a guide needed? Also, we are going in mid-September where no tour companies are doing ice caves. Are there any ice caves available to see (maybe just even taking a picture at the entrance since it is dangerous to go inside)

I was thinking about a self-drive tour but we are all arriving/departing on different days. Any thoughts appreciated
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:15 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
You need a guide for Lava caves and glacier hikes. Ice caves are not available until November at the earliest.

2 day itinerary is usually Golden Circle on one day, South Coast to Vik or Snaefellsness Peninsula on the other day.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:18 pm

I've done the Amphib (and yes, I've done them before here in Boston, where they started), and IMHO going to Jokulsarlon and not going out in the lagoon in one of the various types of boats is a huge mistake. The icebergs make you feel pretty small, even in a duck boat. Saving $35 after a trip of that distance is penny-wise.

(I assume you got my PM the other day?)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

I've done the Amphib (and yes, I've done them before here in Boston, where they started), and IMHO going to Jokulsarlon and not going out in the lagoon in one of the various types of boats is a huge mistake. The icebergs make you feel pretty small, even in a duck boat. Saving $35 after a trip of that distance is penny-wise.

(I assume you got my PM the other day?)
Yep

Its not penny-pinching but I read a few reviews on TA and some other places where they said they felt it was a waste and after having walked along the shore and to the black beach(?) that they were sorry they took the boat and didnt simply do the walk. Lonely Planet also said do the Zodiacs as the Amphibs cant get close enough or down many inlets due to its size, and felt the Amphibs were a waste

That said Ive been to Paris but never went up the Efiel, I was able to see the same view of Paris from different directions. Been to Venice never took a gondala ride. Been to many a city that has a ferris- wheel- eye as of yet never took any of them. I see many of these as tourist traps and in many places can get a view of the city from elsewhere, alot of times from a tall building or friends apt.

I live in NYC and only once went to The Statue of Liberty a class trip, even then in JrHS I kept banging my head as I walked up or down. Passed it hundreds of times on the SI Ferry and had I not gone on that class trip I wouldnt have missed anything except for the bumps I got on my head. Ive done the 39(?) Glacier tour up in Alaska and saw those on very small boats getting very close while we had to remain further away.It wasnt a cruise ship but a boat out of Whittier. Been to BOS walked all around , never took a paid tour (yes did the Freedom Trail) or the ducks thats anywhere, and I dont feel Im missed out. Yet Ive seen almost every Cirque du Soleil and even flew to where it was performing just to catch the show and they are far from being cheap. Ive seen it on TV and simply being there cant compare to watching it on a screen.

Thats why I asked the tour comp if they can book the Zodiacs, had they said yes I would have spent almost 2x what the Amphibs cost and gone on the Zodiacs,Id say thats the opposite of penny-pinching. My plan was when we get there to see if theres room on a Zodiac if yes great if not then just walk around
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
I have about 2 days in Iceland as well, but my plan is to explore Reykjavik, Northern Lights, the Golden Circle (most likely) and then the Blue Lagoon before heading back to the airport and back home.
The Southern Shore is also tempting though, but realistically with such little time, I can't do that AND the Golden Circle.

My guess is that the ice caves aren't stable enough year round.

This is one company I'm looking at: https://www.re.is/
I haven't booked anything yet though.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes

This is one company I'm looking at: https://www.re.is/
I haven't booked anything yet though.
Im heading over in a few weeks time, I found RE to either be the cheapest price per tour or matches the others with the same price. I plan to use them for 3/4 of my bookings. (The only reason not 4/4 is I already booked my Golden Circle with another comp and since they are the same price I wont cx what I booked).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:18 am

re.is is the biggest company . . . with the biggest buses. You'll get everything you paid for, but you'll be waiting for the slowest of 50 tourists to get back on the bus at each stop.

I'd suggest finding a smaller provider with smaller buses for the best tours.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:10 am
Suspended

re.is is the biggest company . . . with the biggest buses. You'll get everything you paid for, but you'll be waiting for the slowest of 50 tourists to get back on the bus at each stop.

I'd suggest finding a smaller provider with smaller buses for the best tours.

I've seen pics where RE was using smaller buses like IHs. I think it all depends on how may people booked and where the tour goes to, which determines which bus will be used. Then for those tours 10+ hrs Id rather be on a larger bus as better chance its not completely full and get an empty seat next to me. Plus the larger buses are also higher up = better viewing. While a 16 seater will most likley be packed

So I agree with the more people the longer it may take to load up or unload but at the same time there are some positives as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.