Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Whale and puffin boat tour is a good way for you to share in your husband's nausea!

I hope he's feeling better soon!
Nah, I've got an iron stomach. I can eat greasy pizza and go on a small boat on a choppy sea. Or a roller coaster

I leave tonight, woohoo!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by duranza
Just returned last week from 4 nights in Iceland and flew 2x with Iceland air once from Copenhagen and the other from Keflavik to NY.

I find that they are cheap and only serve you drinks , snacks are for purchase or if you were to pay more for the economy comfort or saga class then they are included. Outrageous prices for snacks too. ISK payment.

They were totally unorganized and didn't even call rows or classes for boarding, everyone just lined up like cattle and made their way onto the gate even though there was a line , everyone ignored it.

On top of that my husband's luggage was damaged and once at JFK at baggage services they told me Iceland air doesn't compensate for damaged luggage ( zipper head torn off, luggage useless without being able to close)
Luckily I had taken out insurance for this trip and filed a claim.

I will most likely avoid flying this airline in the future.
1- I dont know of any carrier today that would fix or pay for a damaged zipper or handles or wheels

2- My flight is in a month on DL from JFK, since its a red-eye flight I imagine it will just like yours no meals except for purchase in the back. And if lucky wed get a beverage run after take-off and before landing. That is what traveling by air has come to. I was only too happy that DL wanted $798 as I ca$hed out 40k in Flex pts , havent been on DL in yrs
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by craz
1- I dont know of any carrier today that would fix or pay for a damaged zipper or handles or wheels

2- My flight is in a month on DL from JFK, since its a red-eye flight I imagine it will just like yours no meals except for purchase in the back. And if lucky wed get a beverage run after take-off and before landing. That is what traveling by air has come to. I was only too happy that DL wanted $798 as I ca$hed out 40k in Flex pts , havent been on DL in yrs
On the other hand I used my UR points to fly United partner Austrian Air from JFK to CPH and they served meals to economy class and liquor FREE plus a yummy breakfast roll before landing.. now they have class!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lizgreg
Thank you for all your helpful comments. December will be cold but I'd love to see the Northern Lights ! I hear that you can only see them during the winter months.
some comments on this, as I have traveled to iceland a few times for this in particular.

1) if you stay in reykjavik, need to get at least 30++ minutes out of town. I tried going to places like Gullfoss (12 years ago there was not a wal-mart sized store sitting there and there was zero illumination at night). You can also set up interesting landscapes using ice/water other places, such as thingvellir. Once out of reykjavik area, options are mainly imagination on location/composition and light pollution is very localized (except akureyri.)

2) remove all filters from lens, they will create newton rings (or at least will on real film) (you didnt say doing photography, i know). also, being there during during full or nearly-full moon gives you more photography foreground options. just starlight is gonna be green lines over nearly black ground (or at least was with film) unless foreground is reflective.

plan a low % of viable viewing nights, whether lights appear or not. be sure to know how to drive on slush/snow/ice/blackice, in case it is below freezing (often it isn't). when getting out of car in gale-force winds, consider whether wind will take door and break it when opening.

Last edited by Woofdog123; Jul 21, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by remphish1
Was thinking of heading to Iceland for 5 nights in October...few questions...

Is 5 nights enough to drive around the whole island to expierence it?
What cities would you spend the night in on a drive around the island?
How many nights in Reykjavik would you recommend?
Can you see Aurora Borealis in October?
Do I need more time?

Thanks!
i have driven around iceland twice (ring road, skipping westfjords). You can do it in 5 days but you aren't going to have much time to do anything else BUT drive. as the saying goes, it is further than it looks on a map. You will also likely face points where you really want to stop longer than a tight time-frame will take, or take side-trips, etc. I think I stayed at vik, hofn, egilsstathir (eth-letter not th), myvatn, and akureyri though could do myvatn-reyk. in one (very long) day.

Last edited by Woofdog123; Jul 21, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Still working on my Iceland trip for summer 2016. I'm getting close. I've got most of the flights now and the land itinerary looks set. We've stretched things, and it looks like it'll be 10 nights in Iceland.

This is a bit OT, but relevant to anyone else who is planning for next year.

I have the option of paying a deposit now and the balance 1 month before the trip. Or I can pay a larger amount now, even up to the full trip cost.

I live in the USA. The gamble is exchange rates. The past 5-6 months have been the most favorable period for the dollar (versus the Euro) in the last 10 years. You will see that if you go to http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?fr...o=USD&view=10Y. (If you like charts, you can have some fun and change the timeframe on the right side of the chart.)

Normally I prefer to put down a deposit and postpone final payment. But I am seriously toying with the idea of paying now for my entire trip. The future of exchange rates is an unknown, but things are decent on the dollar side of the fence right now.

Also a bit OT: we're going to fly IcelandAir. WOW looks cheap at first, but this is a 3 1/2 week trip overall and there will be luggage. I'm afraid that WOW would really get me with add-on fees and not be much (if any) cheaper. I hate to miss out on any miles I could earn, so I've signed up for IcelandAir's frequent flyer program. But these may be wasted miles - is there anything at all that one can do with IcelandAir miles other than use them on IcelandAir? So far my searches are fruitless.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

On the other hand I used my UR points to fly United partner Austrian Air from JFK to CPH and they served meals to economy class and liquor FREE plus a yummy breakfast roll before landing.. now they have class!
??? DL offers meals for $0 US-Europe. The way you wrote your post makes it sound as if you were fed VIE-CPH or did OS only feed you JFK-VIE?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:04 pm

??? DL offers meals for $0 US-Europe. The way you wrote your post makes it sound as if you were fed VIE-CPH or did OS only feed you JFK-VIE?
I don't know what DL is>? Delta?

I flew JFK to Vie-connecting to CPH via OS

Meal was from overnight JFK to Vie.. from there to CPH we had a snack if I remember correctly.

No meals on Icelandair from KEF to JFK.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:25 am
Suspended

I don't know what DL is>? Delta?

I flew JFK to Vie-connecting to CPH via OS

Meal was from overnight JFK to Vie.. from there to CPH we had a snack if I remember correctly.

No meals on Icelandair from KEF to JFK.
As I thought. OS didnt feed you intra Europe, just as UA/DL(yes Delta) or AA++ wont feed you in Y to/from Hawaii and the East Coast (or any place in the US). And a NY-HNL flight is 2x KEF-JFK so I guess you wont ever be going to Hawaii unless you fly there via Europe or Asia on an Intl carrier.

Problem with the likes of Icelandair is since they dont fly non-stop to Europe but via KEF they can get away with no meals for free. Heck most European LCCs dont feed you either and they fly non-stop. Which means that unless those carriers that feed you, to see what it costs you for that meal(among other items) simply deduct the fare of an LCC from the likes of the others. The difference that the likes of UA or BA charges covers their preassigned seat, free checked bag, meal etc etc Then add those amounts that the LCC charges to its fare to properly size up who in fact is cheaper

So in the end and very simply if United (or Austrian) charged say $979 all in for thier tkt and Icelandair (assuming they fly to CPH) charged $919 for everything except the meals that OS had in their fare then that so called Yummy free meal was very far from being free, it would cost you $60. Now true there are other factors at play type of plane, cabin layouts, flight times, wanting to stop over at the connecting hub, etc etc . The only time Id say the meal is free is if the fares on both carriers were exactly the same but that 1 offered you less than what the other did
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
The difference that the likes of UA or BA charges covers their preassigned seat, free checked bag, meal etc etc Then add those amounts that the LCC charges to its fare to properly size up who in fact is cheaper
Note that Icelandair actually gives you free seat selection and TWO free checked bags. Only cost on them is food.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Note that Icelandair actually gives you free seat selection and TWO free checked bags. Only cost on them is food.
Nice to know, for my upcoming trip DL flight times worked out better, Besides it was only 40K in Flex Pts since it was just under $800 ai, while Icelandair would have been 60k since it was over $800 (actually over $900) I also get 1 bag free with DL and all I need.

What I dont get is I dont remember the last time I got a meal flying NY-LA/SF and its just as long as NY-KEF. Yet the poster I quoted is all beside themselves and wont fly Icelandair again since it doesnt supply meals, wonder if they ever fly trancons or to Hawaii in Y also no meals, and HI is a 12 hr flight.

Nor do I ever remember calling any meal Intl in Biz or 1st as yummy yet alone in coach

Hopefully next time eto KEF I will bebale to checkout Icelandair
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:43 pm

Nice to know, for my upcoming trip DL flight times worked out better, Besides it was only 40K in Flex Pts since it was just under $800 ai, while Icelandair would have been 60k since it was over $800 (actually over $900) I also get 1 bag free with DL and all I need.

What I dont get is I dont remember the last time I got a meal flying NY-LA/SF and its just as long as NY-KEF. Yet the poster I quoted is all beside themselves and wont fly Icelandair again since it doesnt supply meals, wonder if they ever fly trancons or to Hawaii in Y also no meals, and HI is a 12 hr flight.

Nor do I ever remember calling any meal Intl in Biz or 1st as yummy yet alone in coach

Hopefully next time eto KEF I will bebale to checkout Icelandair
Yes the breakfast sandwich was yummy as was dinner.. but to each his own taste.
I rarely fly to Europe so yes this was my first experience with Iceland air and I am voicing MY opinion.
I flew from NY to Hawaii in 2014 in First class so the meal was a given.
I am also flying to Maui in 2016 in First class all on miles.

More than that there aren't any snacks just drinks and they don't compensate for damage luggage.

IF I fly Iceland air again I would certainly try for the economy plus or better.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Yes the breakfast sandwich was yummy as was dinner.. but to each his own taste.
I rarely fly to Europe so yes this was my first experience with Iceland air and I am voicing MY opinion.
I flew from NY to Hawaii in 2014 in First class so the meal was a given.
I am also flying to Maui in 2016 in First class all on miles.

More than that there aren't any snacks just drinks and they don't compensate for damage luggage.

IF I fly Iceland air again I would certainly try for the economy plus or better.
1- no Carrier that I know of even if you were in 1st class would compensate anyone for a broken zipper,perio. Nor for damaged wheels or handles

2- You're entitled to your opin and thats fine, 'yummy' is 1 word I couldnt use to describe airlline food even when Im flying in Biz or 1st and yes Intl as well

3- I dont know of any US carrier (I think DL may) that gives out any kind of a snack nowadays.I know AA & UA 100% dont even on their Transcons

4- you dont want to fly Icelandair ever again , dont no skin off my back. Just realize the reasons you gave for not doing so should keep you from flying any US Carrier in coach just as well,that was my point, when it comes to no meals or snacks except for an Intl flight. FWIW both of my Delta flights JFK-KEF/KEF-JFK offer a meal service and special meals even in coach.I didnt know that till I just checked. But then I dispise Delta and have only flown it when I had no other choice.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended

last week Aug '15 4 nights

this is what Ive come up with thus far. Arriving Mon morn (redeye DL from JFK) get to hotel either check-in if they let apx 10am or drop my bags and head out till I can check-in.

Mon: checking out the city and catching up on missed sleep

Tues: Day tour Golden Circle

Weds: change hotels and take in The Blue Lagoon and any further stuff missed in the city.

Thurs: up in the air a day tour to either Jokulsarlon+ or A South Coast tour. Former is 14 hrs latter is 12 hrs Leaning towards Jokulsarlon since it seems The SC Tour is to waterfalls and geysers and I will see some on Tues and have seen others other places, but Jokul seems to be a very unique place. Jok is 25k the SC tour is 13k

Fri: head to KEF for a 9:50am departure

So looking for some opins mainly for where to go on Thurs

tia

Update; seems the Jokulsarlon tours hits the main spots of the SC Tour,I guess they dont spend a smuch time eat each spot. Also found www.iceland excursions.is seems to be the less expensive tour and includes a boat ride @ Joku while others want 200 isk more and that the boat ride isnt included

Has anyone taken the Icelandexcursion tour to Joku and how was it and what size bus did they use? (seems IE has all types prefer the minis but I guess it depends on how many people are booked)

Last edited by craz; Jul 24, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:25 pm

this is what Ive come up with thus far. Arriving Mon morn (redeye DL from JFK) get to hotel either check-in if they let apx 10am or drop my bags and head out till I can check-in.

Mon: checking out the city and catching up on missed sleep

Tues: Day tour Golden Circle

Weds: change hotels and take in The Blue Lagoon and any further stuff missed in the city.

Thurs: up in the air a day tour to either Jokulsarlon+ or A South Coast tour. Former is 14 hrs latter is 12 hrs Leaning towards Jokulsarlon since it seems The SC Tour is to waterfalls and geysers and I will see some on Tues and have seen others other places, but Jokul seems to be a very unique place. Jok is 25k the SC tour is 13k

Fri: head to KEF for a 9:50am departure

So looking for some opins mainly for where to go on Thurs

tia

Update; seems the Jokulsarlon tours hits the main spots of the SC Tour,I guess they dont spend a smuch time eat each spot. Also found www.iceland excursions.is seems to be the less expensive tour and includes a boat ride @ Joku while others want 200 isk more and that the boat ride isnt included

Has anyone taken the Icelandexcursion tour to Joku and how was it and what size bus did they use? (seems IE has all types prefer the minis but I guess it depends on how many people are booked)
I've never been to Iceland, but I am going on a 5 night trip in 2 weeks. The Blue Lagoon is located very near the airport, so why not go there on the way from the airport to your hotel? I know you can buy a package for transport from the airport to the Blue Lagoon and then to your hotel. That would help you kill time if its too early to check into the hotel and will also help you relax after the flight. You'll also waste less time travelling back and forth.

The day tours on Thursday sound pretty hectic to me. It might just be my style of travel, but a large group tour for 14 hours where you only make quick stops in each location doesn't sound appealing to me. Why not rent a car and do it on your own? Better yet, spend one less day in Reykjavik and spend a night in the country. Then you won't be nearly as rushed. The only problem is that you might have trouble finding accommodations so close to your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.