Community
Wiki Posts
Search

February In Finland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

February In Finland

Heading off to Helsinki at the end of February. Am I crazy?

I looked at the weather/climate information online and it didn't look too bad, but I suppose I could just be being optimistic....

Anyone have any thoughts on Helsinki as a destination in February? Also, any tips on a hotel that's not too expensive (Hotel GLO and Hotel Haven seem like too much for too little) and in a good location for sightseeing would be appreciated as well! ^
Old Dec 2, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Late February weather in Helsinki is usually perfect winter weather. The days are already longer and most likely sunny days.

Week 8 is the winter skiing holiday in schools so the city is a bit quieter from 19th to 27th February. That should mean good deals on accommodation.

Walk on the Helsinki coastline (Kaivopuisto & co), the frozen sea with ships coming and going is a nice sight. There should also be a walking bridge to Uunisaari for some coffee or lunch.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:17 pm

I'm on a similar itinerary, so glad you asked. Other websites suggested I'd pretty be miserable, but this response gives me a bit of hope!

Any suggestions on economical hotels near tourist sites? I've done some research and can't seem to get a grasp of the lay out of the city in terms of landmarks to see and hotel locations.....
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:18 pm

Check this out, Conan went there in Feb 2006

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...d+special&aq=1

It'll be great there in Feb, I love the snowy Scandinavian wintertime...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:14 am

No, you're not crazy. It'll be cold, but not arctic cold.
Helsinki is very compact, staying in the centre around the railwaystation/mannerheimintie you can walk to most attractions within 15-20 minutes.
What kind of hotel budget do you have? Radisson Blu Plaza usually offer some nice rates, probably 30% cheaper then Glo or Haven.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:49 pm

Well that's good to know, thanks!

Budgets aren't really an issue, I've paid quite a bit for hotels in the past. I just felt the prices being asked for at GLO and Haven weren't worth what was being offered. Considering I've read those are the "best" Helsinki had to offer, I was looking for something "economical" since I wasn't exactly sold on the high end offering.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by EXP4ME
Budgets aren't really an issue, I've paid quite a bit for hotels in the past. I just felt the prices being asked for at GLO and Haven weren't worth what was being offered. Considering I've read those are the "best" Helsinki had to offer, I was looking for something "economical" since I wasn't exactly sold on the high end offering.
GLO & Haven seem to give about 150-170 EUR/night for the last week of February. I'd say that's quite reasonable for the location & quality, contemporary design hotels.

That seems to be standard level for the high end of hotels, even the standard rates for Radisson Blu Plaza (nearby railway station) are that but they have an advance purchase offer for ~110 EUR/night.

If budget isn't an issue and you don't mind replacing dark wood with plush fabrics, you may also want to consider Hotel Kämp. Book now and save rate is below 200 EUR/night and it's the best hotel in town. A bargain for it's class.

Overall compared to many other capitals and major cities Helsinki is relatively cheap on the luxury / design end, especially considering the high taxes (prices include 23% VAT) and labour costs. Finland is a understated "self-service country" -- but you don't need to tip either
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
If budget really is not a major issue I adore Hotel Kamp. I also like Helsinki at any time of the year. As others have said February is nice, and usually not bitterly cold (I usually stay in Helsinki while returning from Moscow so what would I know about cold, anyway?). It bis showing Euro 160 without any promotion or discounts. It has the advantage of a traditional 19th century style perfectly organized, but with quirky hallways typical of hotels of that era.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Captainfire
No, you're not crazy. It'll be cold, but not arctic cold.
Only by Finnish standards. February is statistically the coldest month of the year, and the last time I was in HEL in Feb, the mercury hit -36 C. Admittedly it's usually not that bad, but I'd still pack the thermal underwear!

Also, while there's a long list of places to go and things to see in Helsinki during the summer (Suomenlinna, Seurasaari, Market Square, the archipelago etc), the majority of them are either closed or actively unpleasant in winter. This leaves museums, saunas and nightlife.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:33 pm

Yes, it may be that's the case, but usually it's alright at -10 and above. Swedish sauna temperature
i have to agree with the previous poster about hotel Kämp, it's a very very nice hotel, and for less then 200€ a night, a bargain in it's class.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Only by Finnish standards. February is statistically the coldest month of the year, and the last time I was in HEL in Feb, the mercury hit -36 C. Admittedly it's usually not that bad, but I'd still pack the thermal underwear!
That sounds more like January.. The averages are lower in February as it's the "only" proper winter month in Helsinki but the extreme colds tend to hit in January.

I wouldn't expect anything below -20 C late February, even below -10 C is unlikely. If the current trend continues, a lot of snow though

But neither the cold or snow is nothing to worry about. A strike is more likely to spoil the travels than the weather..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:43 pm

Just as an update....

Decided to book the Best Western property that is a converted jail. Debating booking Hotel Kamp but at the end of the day I thought the Best Western would be a little unique compared to some of the other hotels I've stayed in. Guess we will have to see....

Hopefully I still have at least some things to do in Helsinki. Looks like Suomenlinna will be open and accessible in Feb, though not as scenic as it might normally be in the summer. Other then that I just plan on seeing some churches, the Olympic reminents, and the Sibelius monument. Wander around a bit. I don't drink so the nightlife isn't appealing to me. I'll just try to stay warm and enjoy the winter. It drops below zero a bit here in the winter so I'm not too worried about the temperature. More how the wintery weather might effect my flights.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ojala
A strike is more likely to spoil the travels than the weather..
Rubbish.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by EXP4ME
Hopefully I still have at least some things to do in Helsinki. Looks like Suomenlinna will be open and accessible in Feb, though not as scenic as it might normally be in the summer.
The winds out there can get pretty murderous, so I'd skip it unless it's sunny and reasonably calm. The Seurasaari outdoor museum, a park island with a collection of weird and wonderful old Finnish houses, is inland and probably more pleasant.

It drops below zero a bit here in the winter so I'm not too worried about the temperature. More how the wintery weather might effect my flights.
Shouldn't be an issue at all in Finland, everything's built to cope.

Last edited by jpatokal; Dec 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:23 pm

Flights should be fine...I had a departure from Pori airport once that we were all over the runway on takeoff (wind, snow, and ice), but it all worked out just fine ;-) I was more worried for the FA having to do all announcements in Finnish, Swedish, and English, finishing just as the plane was speeding toward takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.