Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

Airbnb 1 month reservation.. any way to protect in case cannot make it?

Airbnb 1 month reservation.. any way to protect in case cannot make it?

Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Question Airbnb 1 month reservation.. any way to protect in case cannot make it?

I usually avoid 28 night+ Airbnbs for the simple reason that they come with a non-refundable policy within 30 days of the start date. However, I found the only house in my city available for a reasonable price and I booked it for 1 month.

Just wondered if there are any travel hacks to prevent the potential loss of the $3,000 payment for the house just in case I were unable to make it?

I looked at Seven Corners CFAR travel insurance policy but their rep informed me that Americans can't be covered in their state of residence. So that's a problem for me in this case.

I used a Chase Sapphire Reserve for the booking but I don't know whether the travel insurance from that card could help at all.

I was surprised to see that "death of a parent" is not covered in extenuating circumstances policy. The policy seems mainly focused on natural disaster and things like military coups, etc. It's unfortunate it doesn't cover me. It's also unfortunate Airbnb couldn't have a policy that gives people a future travel voucher, like airlines do now, often times for non-refundable bookings.

I know I'm being a bit paranoid here as I DO intend to stay on my reservations. But just want to be mentally prepared for the worst situation of being unable to make it for some reason.

I'm also disappointed that I have messaged the hosts twice about "what if" I needed to change the dates.. are they okay with that.. and both messages.. my question has been ignored. I was hoping to get a quick simple reply that says something like.. 'yeah sure, if the dates are available then yes it's fine no problems.' They are relatively new hosts and from their first message they seem entirely business oriented. I've done 100+ Airbnbs and found some hosts to be warm, caring people.. and others to be 100% business minded with no noticeable warmth toward the guest. Normally, there's no problems changing Airbnb dates.. but out of 100+ stays I did have one experience where the host flat out refused to change the dates even though the dates were available.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I realize this is old and likely too late for you, but I was reading reviews about a company called Evolve (an AirBnB competitor). While the reviews (from the owners) are poor one of their complaints is Evolve is customer friendly re cancellations (which helps us, the consumer). So if you need to cancel as long as you give 48 hours notice, they will give you credits towards another rental on their platform that is good for 2 years. https://evolve.com/rest-easy-promise That is one way to mitigate a long term rental situation. I have no experience with them otherwise, was just searching for options outside AirBnB and VRBO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.