Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

OneKey: new rewards scheme for Hotels.com/ Expedia/Vrbo.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze

So for those of you using any of Hotels.com, expedia, or Vrbo, they are ending their existing rewards programs and joining together to produce a new loyalty program.
For Hotels.com users, this is a significant downgrade, especially if you spent fewer than 30 nights aware per year,
Highlights are as follows (if I understand correctly)
Current, unspent rewards will be converted $1-$1 to the new scheme
Rewards activity is paid back as follows:
  • Existing Scheme (as a comparison)
    • All users 10% per do spent on hotel stays (only collected after 10 stays)
  • Standard user:
    • 2% per dollar spent on hotels, vacation rentals, activities, packages, car rentals.
    • 0.2% on Flights
    • Rewards available immediately
  • The below only at 'VIP' properties
  • Silver User (5 trips (or nights? doesnt' spefcify)
    • . increase by 50%. (3%)
  • Gold (15 trips)
    • 100% more (4%)
  • Platinum (30 trips
    • ​​​​​​​200% more (8%)
I'm not sure what a 'VIP property entails', currently for hotels.com VIP hotels are ones where there are advantages for silver and gold member (IIRC), which isn't that many
All in all this is a significant downgrade to hotels.com rewards, even for regular travelers, for someone staying say 20 nights away per year your return has dropped 60%, even more so for Gold members if the property does not classify as 'VIP'.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:40 am

How can one check the expiration of the combined balance of OneKey Rewards? Hotels.com used to list that clearly for rewards and stamps.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This is a MAJOR downgrade for hotels.com users. Going from 10% to 2% makes the scheme uninteresting vis-a-vis booking with the hotel directly. The cashback side remains to be seen, it has been 8-12% range, which meant ca 20% off the price tag.

The transfer from hotels.com scheme to the onekey scheme is a major cockup. I log in, it shows blue/$0. Somehow you need to find the instructions (well hidden) to NOT use the hotels.com address, but the country specific one, eg. uk.hotels.com to see you existing awards and status.

The only positive temporary outcome for members is when your current hotels.com rewards are/will be converted to onekey, where your, say, $200 reward night can be spread to 2x$100 nights. But that's just while you "old" rewards last.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:25 am

VIP hotels are labelled on expedia/hotel, not a rich choice.
when you book normal hotel , all tiers are the same, 2% reward.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA/CO
One thing to note: your "OneKey Cash" isn't always usable for flights on Expedia. Only "qualifying" flights. The only way to know if the flight qualifies is to go through the entire booking process and see if you're given the option of using OneKey Cash or standard payment on checkout.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:29 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
So my hotels.com leftover free nights converted over into $340 of one key cash. Does anyone know if I can use it over multiple bookings now or does it have to be for one night like it used to be? Thanks.
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
I'm still totally confused by this, the Hotels.com app, and the website where I log in still tell me that I am a gold member collecting stamps etc, but sometimes I log in and go to accounts page and it tells me I am a blue keychain member... seems both on the site and the app....
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:07 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by myeurocrush
So my hotels.com leftover free nights converted over into $340 of one key cash. Does anyone know if I can use it over multiple bookings now or does it have to be for one night like it used to be? Thanks.
was that value ox X nights * $value the same as that 340$? Or did u ”win” or lose there?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
fyi for those booking VRBO - you may want to choose to earn 3x United miles vs OneKey rewards (if you value United miles).
https://www.vrbo.com/en-ca/legal/united-airlines
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:50 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FFlash
was that value ox X nights * $value the same as that 340$? Or did u ”win” or lose there?
I had one free night that converted equally but they also converted over the stamps I had left at the 10% rate so it was good. I definitely didn’t lose with the conversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.