It's worth researching rental condos carefully

Old May 31, 2022, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
It's worth researching rental condos carefully

We booked a rental condo in Chelan through a service called Evolve over the weekend. The place gets glowing reviews, with a view of the lake, etc. The 3 day total with fees ended up at $1400 - on par with some luxury hotels in Seattle. But apparently that's the going rate in Chelan over Memorial Day as it was hard to find much.

The condo itself was great. The neighbors for the weekend, though... eek. A group of college kids rented out the adjacent unit (different owner) and were partying all three nights with people constantly going in and out, slamming the door, etc. Mind you, these are all small, 1BR condos that sleep 2, maybe 3 if the unit has a pull out bed. We barely got any sleep, even with earplugs, and so this did not turn out to be much of a weekend getaway.

I mentioned this to the host after the first night, who lives 3 hours away. She said she contacted the other owner. After this persisted for two more nights, I sent an email with the feedback to her on check out. I mentioned I wasn't going to leave a review as I didn't feel like she was primarily to blame, but that overall we were disappointed with the experience. I also left a suggestion that, given the number of short term rental units in the building that lack local owners, an after hours security number might be helpful. This is when she got really defensive - told us that this has never happened before and that we should have called the police if it was that much of a problem.

All I really wanted was an apology and some kind of acknowledgement that our experience wasn't great - if I were a host with a guest paying $1400 for three nights, I'd be embarrassed and that's what I'd immediately do. Edited: The owner sent a lengthy, apologetic email to me unprompted this afternoon. Like I said, this is all I really wanted.

The reason I post about this is that I did some digging yesterday, and come to find out that the unit next to ours was going for about half the all-in nightly cost of our unit. Judging from pictures and reviews, it was clear that the unit was worse for wear. That pricing apparently attracted the college kids that decided to use the unit for their Memorial Day festivities.

So the tl/dr: for condo rentals in particular, take a look at pricing and reviews of adjacent units in the same building. If your rental is the "nicest house on the block," be aware that a very different kind of traveler might be shopping for one of those other units. That goes doubly so if the owner isn't local and thus can't fix the problem without involving someone like the police.
SanDiego1K, ihispanic and chiphead like this.

Last edited by sullim4; May 31, 2022 at 1:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.