VRBO vs AirBnB Credit Card Category

Old May 16, 22, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, Alaska Airlines
Question VRBO vs AirBnB Credit Card Category

I have a Canadian Capital One Credit card that gives a 1.5% return IF I buy anything travel related - it has an "eraser" so you use your points to credit the purchase. The category the post comes under must say Travel or Other Travel. I recently booked a holiday at 3 different properties using VRBO and planned to use the points I accumulated during Covid to "erase" them. After they posted (and after I could cancel any of the bookings) I saw that my Credit card statement categorized all three VRBO bookings as "Other Services". So I can't use any of my accumulated points to "pay" for them. I've done a bit of searching and read that this change happend after Expedia took over VRBO. I also read that AirBnB is still categorizing their bookings as "Travel". Can anyone confirm this for me? The only way I can find out is after I've booked something.
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor ALL Platinum / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mevl View Post
I've done a bit of searching and read that this change happend after Expedia took over VRBO. I also read that AirBnB is still categorizing their bookings as "Travel".
It has to do about how vrbo has been categorized when "re-registered" under expedia's umbrella for CC expenses , i assume either expedia didnt care or it was cheaper for them (CC payment providers dont charge the same fees for all types of transactions (Travel vs Other Services) but if your company is big and you can generate huge volumes of safe transactions then it can be a good leverage)

Search this Thread