AirBnb bait and switch in Hawaii

Old Jun 14, 2021, 3:20 am
Original Poster

AirBnb bait and switch in Hawaii

Today I tried twice to book Airbnb’s in Kona. I booked my first unit and waited for the confirmation. The host came back and said the unit I booked was not available but she had another. I declined. It seemed like a scam to advertise one place but not have it. I booked a second unit from a different host at a different location. The second host replied cryptically that we could stay at her two bedroom unit. Not realizing this was a change I suggested that she needed to approve my stay for me to confirm my booking. Then she confirmed and charged me for a different unit than the one I booked.

Airbnb reservations are mostly totally not refundable and no changes are allowed, so now I was locked into a booking for something I didn’t want and never had a chance to look at.

Trying to get resolution from Airbnb has been a nightmare of calls and texts and holding on the phone but no resolution. My partner had a similar issue at an airbnb in Florida where a hot tub was advertised as part of the unit. Except on arrival the host wanted to charge extra for use of the hot tub. Airbnb refused to provide any resolution to her.

Does anyone have a way of getting resolution from Airbnb? Does disputing the credit card charge work?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: None
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience(s). Getting a satisfying resolution from a tech company such as airbnb (which does everything it can to automate interaction with customers) can be difficult. If you have any sort of public presence (such as on Twitter), you can try publicly shaming them. I had a frustrating experience with Vimeo once, and that tactic worked for me. More info: Vimeo Disabled My Account for Submitting HTML

> Airbnb reservations are mostly totally not refundable and no changes are allowed
I don't find this to be the case at all. As I write this, I have a handful of airbnb bookings made for trips later this year. All are cancellable up until a week or few days before checking in and all allow me to "Request to change your dates or number of guests". While I know that the cancellation policy is specific to each host, I've never thought that the modification policy is.

Posting the actual offending airbnb listings may help. Personally, I'm always curious to see the listings that are the source of these nightmare scenarios. I've stayed at a lot of airbnbs over the years. While I can't say that they've all been perfect stays, I have yet to have any disasters. More info: How to Find, Choose, and Book Airbnbs

Good luck.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Then she confirmed and charged me for a different unit than the one I booked.
I thought Airbnb would show the approximate location of the place pre-booking. Is the confirmed address in a different place? How about pictures from Google street view, or previous reviews?

​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.