Airbnb Service Fee Thoughts

Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Airbnb Service Fee Thoughts

Question: Does anyone know if Airbnb takes a loss on a payment processing fee, or something else, when a reservation is cancelled and refunded?

Background:
They have a policy where if you cancel 3 reservations in 12 months you cannot get the service fee back anymore upon a 4th cancellation. My account had 3 cancellations on the same listing when I was fixing a payment method issue with airbnb support. The first 2 were back to back and the final was months later due to COVID in April.

Unfortunately right after that cancellation we were looking at a property in September on my wife's account in case things cooled down, double checked cancellation policy, and then I ended up booking on my account. Well COVID continues and we are going to have to cancel, but now we are smacked with a substantial service fee charge (that wouldn't have applied if we had just used my damn wife's account, or I checked the cancellation on my account to see if different).

Is the logic behind the 3 cancellation policy to make up for potential lost reservations for listings being off the market and then not being reserved upon re-listing? If so ostensibly my case would be the same as 1 cancellation and is somewhat frustrating. Or is there some other mechanism that Airbnb is taking a loss on cancellations (e.g. fees)? Recognize that I should have checked my account's cancellation policy or just booked on my wife's. Just trying to gauge how annoyed with myself I should be - Airbnb support has not said much.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:20 pm

Thanks, I was not aware of this. Just opened an account for my wife and we can now book fully refundable again! Amazing they want to punish good customers. We had to cancel several Europe bookings this year due to Covid restrictions. We will still stay at least 60 nights with them in the US this year.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Well I'm glad I could help! I'm considering moving my reservation to next year. If I cancel then the service may be lower or possibly refundable if 12 months passes since the 3 cancellations. Not crazy about Airbnb holding half the reservation price the whole time though...
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:47 am

Yes they likely lose money through processing fees, but I don't think the policy is a direct attempt to recoup processing fees. It's more of an attempt to modify customer behavior while giving some flexibility. They don't want to lose you as a new customer if you happen to need to cancel for legitimate reasons, but if you are a serial canceller then they don't want you to continue to act that way.

In your case I would hope they'd consider the circumstances, but I don't know...airbnb customer service has been hit or miss the last few years where it had been stellar previously. I say this as a fairly regular customer and a pretty big host.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.