Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

Air BNB: how do I get a refund when travel isn't allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Due to go to England July 22 2020...Coronavirus +14 day quarantine and most recently an e mail from British Airways saying the flight is canceled. I have been back and forth with Airbnb to seek a refund or change of date under their extended circumstances policy but keep getting "we update on the 1st and 15th of the month keep watching to see if you'd be eligible for a refund" There where no updates on June 1. My host said there's not much they can do from their end. Any ideas of what else I could do ? Even if we wanted to go we couldn't !
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:05 am

Did you book prior to March 14? My understanding is that their extenuating circumstances policy now includes check-in dates up to July 15:
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...avirus-covid19

For now I think you need to wait and keep an eye out for a further extension. A few weeks ago, it only included check-in dates through May 31, so they do extend it periodically. I would guess it will be very likely that your check-in date will be included soon.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks Susan ! Just an update , The extenuating circumstances policy was updated to include our dates and I'm happy to report we now have a credit with airbnb for our canceled stay !
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:18 am

Glad it worked out for you. Did you only have an option for a credit, or could you have requested a refund?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:27 am

AirBnb last update 6/15 is cancellation up to 7/31/20. I will have to wait until 7/1 to cancel my hawaii booking on august. Urrgggh.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

No option for a refund was given, provided they dont go out of business I'm ok with having the credit !
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Fingers crossed it works out for you !
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Britsok1
No option for a refund was given, provided they dont go out of business I'm ok with having the credit !
To get the full refund option is tricky. Airbnb try to hide the option. You need to choose "My travel plans have changed due to covid-19" It will then give you 2 options, 50% cash refund or 100% credit,

HOWEVER, there is another option if you click on get started at the bottom

"If you qualify for an extenuating circumstances exception to your host’s cancellation policy you can apply for a full cash refund by submitting official documentation for review.
Get started"

Shady AirBNB.
Britsok1 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:02 pm

Thank you, Taikucing, for this advice. I'm assuming I will soon be in this situation and will want a refund which I believe qualifies under the extenuating circumstances policy. Do you know if AirBnB accepts as 'documentation' the fact that the destination country is refusing visitors of one's citizenship? Or the fact that one's flight was cancelled due to COVID? We're about to be in the situation where our flight is cancelled plus I will not be permitted entry to the country where our AirBnB reservation is (booked in early February).
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:01 am

Weather-related AIRBNB/VRBO

Has anyone had experience with airbnb/vrbo related to hurricanes? We are considering a trip to the USVI in early September. Certainly airlines will issue a waiver. Airbnb/VRBO similar waiver? Or is it a risk we take and loose the deposit?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Has anyone had experience with airbnb/vrbo related to hurricanes? We are considering a trip to the USVI in early September. Certainly airlines will issue a waiver. Airbnb/VRBO similar waiver? Or is it a risk we take and loose the deposit?
I followed-up on this a bit.

I considered an AirBnB to visit some friends in the USVI early September. I really didn't want to stay in a hotel. In early August, I asked three perspective properties re: hurricanes and COVID-19. Two of the three wrote that a full refund would be provided in case of a hurricane (I think the 3rd offered a credit). All three wrote 'no refund, no credit' if either the area was locked down or I (or a member of my party) was sick. I decided not to take the risk. Turns out St. Croix locked down roughly late August/early September.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
With AirBnB the policy is pretty much up to the individual host and not with the company. The host as a private individual isn't responsible for travel bans or a pandemic so I wouldn't expect them to provide any refund. It's either travel insurance or bust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.