Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb Japan Host asking for copy of Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Airbnb Japan Host asking for copy of Passport

Heading to Tokyo and Osaka this Fall and decided to make a booking on airbnb. It has been awhile since I used airbnb so I didnt know of this new law in Japan where airbnb hosts are required to have a copy of one's passport. A quick search seems to indicate some will only asked to see your passport while some hosts firmly require a photocopy to be emailed to them.

Can I blank out any part on my passport when submitting a copy of my passport?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: None
I'm not familiar with this. If it were me, I'd be pretty liberal with blocking out sensitive portions of the passport. If the host doesn't like it, they can push back.
stablemate77 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you have privacy concerns, don't stay at an Airbnb or visit Japan. Hotels in many countries in the world take photocopies of your passport to comply with local law. This isn't specific to Airbnb, but merely your perception of the trustworthiness of whoever might have your passport details.
camsean likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:26 pm

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...-home-in-japan

This may help but it doesn't mention anything about what you can block out.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
I believe it is the law in Japan for foreign guests to provide passport details when staying in a registered lodging. All the hotels I have stayed at requests for this, and an Air BNB owner that has registered the lodging would be required by law to request this as well.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Yes, this is a new law in Japan. I googled abit and found this interesting article on Japantimes about the interpretation of the law. I have no issue showing my passport but to make a photocopy, I am not sure if I am comfortable about that.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/communi.../#.XbTsL5JKivF
muji likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Hotels in many, many countries take a photocopy or scan of one’s passport. Not much you can do about it.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Anyway, I wouldn't consider passport details to be very sensitive (like CC details).

I don't see how you can avoid this when required by law that the host needs to register etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.