Close in rental request Airbnb/vrbo

Old May 28, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Close in rental request Airbnb/vrbo

We had a last minute change of plans and now looking for a new vacay. Iím sure some rentals on Airbnb would rather discount for a weekís stay starting in a few days than leave the property vacant. Is there a feature for renters to bid or post open offers? Like ďwilling to pay $200/night for 5-7 nights in xyz areĒ when usually $300-400? Or is this a situation where Iíll have to individually contact?
Old May 28, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GfL
On Airbnb there is no such feature. If you find a property you’re interested in, message the host with a booking inquiry (not a reservation request) and make your proposition. Some people might take you up on it, if you ask politely.
Old May 28, 19, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just be careful about paying the host privately outside of the system, in case something goes wrong.
Old May 28, 19, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
On Airbnb there is no such feature. If you find a property youíre interested in, message the host with a booking inquiry (not a reservation request) and make your proposition. Some people might take you up on it, if you ask politely.
That's what I was going to do but most of these properties are managed by rental companies (beach location). I've emailed one and they won't budge.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Just be careful about paying the host privately outside of the system, in case something goes wrong.
GOOD POINT. I figured they'd do a "special offer" if it were airbnb. I've been able to get those before. Thanks for the reminder though!
Old May 28, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
That's what I was going to do but most of these properties are managed by rental companies (beach location). I've emailed one and they won't budge.
Well, as a host I would not have budged either. I had several requests like that over the years. It did not make sense for me to discount my rooms. Frankly, I might expect a rental company might want to be more flexible with the base rate on a last-minute rental, as long as the cleaning fees stay the same. How close in are you talking about? If it’s more than a day or two out, I wouldn’t expect to be successful, but the day before or the day of might work.
Old May 28, 19, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post

Well, as a host I would not have budged either. I had several requests like that over the years. It did not make sense for me to discount my rooms. Frankly, I might expect a rental company might want to be more flexible with the base rate on a last-minute rental, as long as the cleaning fees stay the same. How close in are you talking about? If itís more than a day or two out, I wouldnít expect to be successful, but the day before or the day of might work.
I hear you. Maybe it depends on the money vs hassle. Iíve found several via VRBO that will come down significantly. This is for a >$2000 rental (my cost not list) beginning 4 days from now. Unlikely anyone else is going to book most of the properties Iím seeing this close in. I could see a host not wanting to bother with a $150 night or whatever, but $2000-2500 is real money. And as it turns out, my hunch was on target.
Old May 29, 19, 7:09 am
Original Poster

As warned, Iíve got an owner who will rent to me outside of Airbnb for basically half price. He is an attorney in Chicago (this is his beach house). Said I could use PayPal. Seems totally legit based on reviews etc. if I want to pursue this, what precautions should I take? A rental contract? Anything else? Any other options? The reason for off list is to save service fees.