FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo-757/)
-   -   Close in rental request Airbnb/vrbo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo/1971609-close-rental-request-airbnb-vrbo.html)

Stgermainparis May 28, 2019 7:12 am

Close in rental request Airbnb/vrbo

We had a last minute change of plans and now looking for a new vacay. I’m sure some rentals on Airbnb would rather discount for a week’s stay starting in a few days than leave the property vacant. Is there a feature for renters to bid or post open offers? Like “willing to pay $200/night for 5-7 nights in xyz are” when usually $300-400? Or is this a situation where I’ll have to individually contact?

travelmad478 May 28, 2019 10:29 am

On Airbnb there is no such feature. If you find a property you’re interested in, message the host with a booking inquiry (not a reservation request) and make your proposition. Some people might take you up on it, if you ask politely.

MSPeconomist May 28, 2019 10:39 am

Just be careful about paying the host privately outside of the system, in case something goes wrong.

Stgermainparis May 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 31146094)
On Airbnb there is no such feature. If you find a property you’re interested in, message the host with a booking inquiry (not a reservation request) and make your proposition. Some people might take you up on it, if you ask politely.

That's what I was going to do but most of these properties are managed by rental companies (beach location). I've emailed one and they won't budge.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31146149)
Just be careful about paying the host privately outside of the system, in case something goes wrong.

GOOD POINT. I figured they'd do a "special offer" if it were airbnb. I've been able to get those before. Thanks for the reminder though!

travelmad478 May 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 31146491)
That's what I was going to do but most of these properties are managed by rental companies (beach location). I've emailed one and they won't budge.

Well, as a host I would not have budged either. I had several requests like that over the years. It did not make sense for me to discount my rooms. Frankly, I might expect a rental company might want to be more flexible with the base rate on a last-minute rental, as long as the cleaning fees stay the same. How close in are you talking about? If it’s more than a day or two out, I wouldn’t expect to be successful, but the day before or the day of might work.

Stgermainparis May 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 31147143)

Well, as a host I would not have budged either. I had several requests like that over the years. It did not make sense for me to discount my rooms. Frankly, I might expect a rental company might want to be more flexible with the base rate on a last-minute rental, as long as the cleaning fees stay the same. How close in are you talking about? If it’s more than a day or two out, I wouldn’t expect to be successful, but the day before or the day of might work.

I hear you. Maybe it depends on the money vs hassle. I’ve found several via VRBO that will come down significantly. This is for a >$2000 rental (my cost not list) beginning 4 days from now. Unlikely anyone else is going to book most of the properties I’m seeing this close in. I could see a host not wanting to bother with a $150 night or whatever, but $2000-2500 is real money. And as it turns out, my hunch was on target.

Stgermainparis May 29, 2019 7:09 am

As warned, I’ve got an owner who will rent to me outside of Airbnb for basically half price. He is an attorney in Chicago (this is his beach house). Said I could use PayPal. Seems totally legit based on reviews etc. if I want to pursue this, what precautions should I take? A rental contract? Anything else? Any other options? The reason for off list is to save service fees.