Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) by Airbnb Guests

Old Dec 15, 18, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, SPG, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Staralliance
Question Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) by Airbnb Guests

Hello Community

I am putting together a catalog of frequently asked questions by your guests. I would be very grateful for your input. Examples i am looking for are:

1) How to operate the microwave
2) How far is it to the city center from your place
3) Is parking available near your place?
4) Can I have an early check-in?

and so on .....

Would be happy if you share your experiences here.
Old Dec 15, 18, 11:42 am
Suspended

Questions I would ask you:

1. How do your neighbours feel about you renting on airbnb?
2. Are you licensed in the city for short term rental?
3. Do you pay business taxes and income taxes on the money you earn from renting?
4. Is this business impacting long term rental in your city? Is it becoming more difficult for young people to find a place to rent and live in?
5. Is this your home you are renting out while you yourself happen to be away for a short while or is this a business you are starting up?

and so on.......

Airbnb is an unethical company and those who do business with them are therefore by extension participating in that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=airb...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Forum which address Air BNB issues and other non-hotel rentals
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
From renting weekly vacation homes:

Keurig or regular coffee maker? Do you have filters? Pods?
Do I need to buy toilet paper before I get there? Soap? Dish soap?
what time can we get there?
Where is the key?
Is there a flashlight and a lighter?
where is the WiFi code?
is the fireplace operational? Is the flue open?
Where do we put the trash? Do we need to put the bins on the street for pickup? What day?
wheres the fuse box?
nearest/best grocery store?
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post

OT, I know, but what do you think your guests prefer? I have regular and have been toying with getting a Keurig instead for my vacation rental. Not enough room for both. But it is in Hawaii and I have always thought people would prefer trying Kona or local coffee rather than pods. Am I wrong? Does the ease trump the Kona? I would not provide pods (but I do provide filters now).
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 16, 18, 6:46 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
OT, I know, but what do you think your guests prefer? I have regular and have been toying with getting a Keurig instead for my vacation rental. Not enough room for both. But it is in Hawaii and I have always thought people would prefer trying Kona or local coffee rather than pods. Am I wrong? Does the ease trump the Kona? I would not provide pods (but I do provide filters now).
As a guest, I would prefer to know in advance which one it is, since I will probably go shopping before I hit the property. But I really have no preference.

I would be under no expectation that the owner would provide the pods. Maybe a few pods for breakfast if the guests are arriving late, but besides that, if I am renting a place, I expect to provide it. If regular drip, a sample coffee kit for late arrivals would be nice, but not really required.

Just knowing there are filters always saves me from buying 2 types of filters because I have had to guess which ones they use.

I think the property we are renting over new year's has a keurig simply because I have seen the unit in the pictures. The owner didn't specify. So, we will probably have to run out after we get there to get supplies (luckily, its in the US and there is a Publix down the street). When we rent in El Salvador, we are no where near a grocery store, so its more important to know ahead of time.
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
agreed

I agree that a wiki would be useful. But many of these questions are naive.
My Airbnb experience is that any detail not mentioned in the listing is not included. For example, I was charged extra for parking on the street in front of an AirBnB in a residential area 5 km from MIA. On another stay, I asked if I could drop off my bag (no early check in) en route to touring Venice. Denied. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed!
IMO, the best advice I have is always travel with the phone number (s) for customer service in San Francisco. I have had to use it in NYC and it works! i.e. I called them, explained why the accommodation is not up to standard, and they fouond me a better alternative nearby. Also, take photos. Invaluable if you are asked to justify a refund request within 24h of the check in time!
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:42 am

Programs: Enrich
Usually if I rent a place that comes with kitchen and utensil, I would prefer the owner to provides photo of those utensils as I could prepare and decide what kind of meal I should cook for over the rental period.

But recently after both Australia trip last year and UK trip this year, I would likely to know if the property is operated by private owner, or agent group. This should be written right on the renting advertisement.

Recently one of my rental, even though everything was fine and good, however, I felt somewhat insecure because the owner never reply my message. He was under a property rental group, which the rental operator only sends out message and instruction a day before my arrival. Imagine that if I do not have internet access for the entire trip, and if I have a very long hour flight, then this will results in disaster vacation.
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:55 pm

For Airbnb, my main concern is if public transportation is available to get to your location.
Other things that I might ask is if there are stairs or long walkways to get to the property.
Another concern is how long would it take to reply to my messages if something goes wrong.
Wessmaster likes this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post

Do I need to buy toilet paper before I get there? Soap? Dish soap?
what time can we get there?
Where is the key?
Is there a flashlight and a lighter?
where is the WiFi code?
is the fireplace operational? Is the flue open?
Where do we put the trash? Do we need to put the bins on the street for pickup? What day?
wheres the fuse box?
nearest/best grocery store?

Having just stayed in properties in Costa Rica and Malta, the above list is fairly comprehensive. But I'd add four questions:

-Smoke/CO detector. Gas-powered appliances and CO leaks - deadly. In fact, I now have a travel smoke/CO detector.
-Appliances in foreign countries - in Malta, I needed to go online to obtain instructions for the heat, clothes washer, and microwave, so having simple instructions for each appliance would be useful. (All of the appliances used symbols not used in the US.)
-Address. I stayed in a suburb of San Jose. I had the property's address, but it was not an address recognized by Uber. The property owner had to text me the 'Uber' address, which was considerably different than the address from the reservation. The owner apologized.
-Is it a primary residence? The CR property turned out to be a primary residence, being rented while the owners were traveling in Europe. It was a bit impractical in that I had to live out of my suitcase for a week as the closets and drawers were filled. And it was just a bit strange.

Search this Thread