FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo-757/)
-   -   Caught host editing listing after checkin. What review should I leave? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo/1930093-caught-host-editing-listing-after-checkin-what-review-should-i-leave.html)

dtc Sep 11, 18 6:14 pm

Caught host editing listing after checkin. What review should I leave?

tldr: I caught a host editing the listing after checkin, removing an amenity. Airbnb agreed and the end result was a partial refund. Airbnb asks me to write a review. What should I say?

Here are the facts of what happened:
-I found a listing with AC
-I booked the listing
-I checked in and found there was no AC
-I verified the listing had AC
-I contacted the host to ask where the AC was
-The host said there isn't any.
-I checked the listing and AC was suddenly crossed off
-I contacted the host to ask if the listing had been updated
-The host said he wasn't aware - dodging the question
-I ask Airbnb to see if the listing had been updated - they confirmed that was the case.

There's a ton more details after this (the host asks me to buy an AC for which he would reimburse and install it and give him the receipt so he can return it. seriously? for a labor day weekend stay? i cut off communications with the host after this) but ultimately I sweat it out (pun intended) and airbnb agrees to a partial refund.

It doesn't seem right to me that despite what happened in this situation where Airbnb support agrees with the guest that the host had manipulated the process, that Airbnb allows the host to write a review of the guest. Future hosts will only see reviews of the guest. Future guests will only see reviews of the host. Neither will have the full picture of what transpired in this transaction.

But the rules are the rules. What should I write in the review? Should I state the facts above and slam the host? Should I not write a review? I have no idea what the host will say about me.

What have others done in this situation?

travelmad478 Sep 13, 18 5:07 pm

Absolutely you should write the review, as factually and dispassionately as possible. Airbnb runs on accurate reviews from guests. I had a situation last April where I also had a stay so bad that I ended it early, having been in contact with Airbnb about the problems both during and after my stay. I wrote a factual, unemotional review including the good and the terrible aspects of the stay. That review is still up (I just checked it a minute ago). The host never wrote a review of me.

nomiiiii Sep 13, 18 7:41 pm

You should write a review like "Good location, comfortable bed and shower, no AC, wifi was fast" and leave it at that. If someone else really values an AC they'll pick up on your review and not book it. Its not worth messing with someone's potential livelihood over though.

Annalisa12 Sep 15, 18 4:20 am

Air conditioning is a deal breaker for accommodation in my eyes.

stc Sep 15, 18 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii (Post 30201362)
You should write a review like "Good location, comfortable bed and shower, no AC, wifi was fast" and leave it at that. If someone else really values an AC they'll pick up on your review and not book it. Its not worth messing with someone's potential livelihood over though.

The host was dishonest. What else are they being dishonest about? I would be explicit in the review.