Wiki Posts
Search

Someone’s been sleeping in my bed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most
Question Someone’s been sleeping in my bed

Just thought I was ask. I have stayed in many abnbs all over the world and have had many a varied experiences. But the ones I have liked the least are the rooms that are obviously slept in by the owners and are converted (or not) for the stay. For example the most recent stay in LA was a two room apartment. When I arrived, the access code had not been sent, so I was messaging the host from the security gate ( that’s not that big a problem, unless it’s raining, had to wait in the past)
Host responded,” I’ll bring the keys down in a few minutes. “
15 minutes later she appears, up we go and it was apologies about her sick child.
So the room is as described with all the ammenities, but the wardrobe is full of their stuff ( as is the private bathroom) the sick child’s play equipment is covered by a blanket in one corner of the room. The private bathroom had two doors and one was taped up with a sign “do not use”. As it was a two bed apartment, I assumed the owner used a bucket during our stay
How do you tell if you’re getting one of these stays? How do feel about stays like this?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Read reviews thoroughly. Ask the host questions when you’re booking. You can generally tell by the photos whether a room is dedicated to Airbnb guests or used regularly by the host. Are there personal belongings visible, or is it clearly a guest room?

And please, leave honest and thorough reviews after your stay.

I despise stays like this and guard against them. One of my earliest Airbnb stays was in a two-bedroom Vegas condo, in the bedroom belonging to the host, who would go and stay at his girlfriend’s apartment when he had guests. Not only did he not clean the bathroom particularly well for guests, he also had a roommate, which was quite awkward. I felt like I was intruding on that poor guy’s space every time I used the kitchen or the living room. I also had a stay once in a small two-bedroom condo in Honolulu, which would have been fine, except the host’s adult daughter, son-in-law, and two toddlers were all staying there at the same time, sleeping in her living room. She explained that it was an emergency because of some housing issues that cropped up for the daughter’s family. That was a ridiculous and, again, awkward situation for me and for them. In both cases, I mentioned the issues in my reviews.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I'm looking at airbnbs in Copenhagen and it's probably the first city I've ever encountered where the majority of listings (at least the majority of the ones I've seen) appear to be owner-occupied.

I have to admit I'm not crazy about the arrangement, but CPH is a pricy city, especially for larger suites capable of accommodating a family of 4, so beggars can't be choosers. But yes, this is not really ideal from my standpoint.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL
You can search by the type of listing (entire house vs. private room) so if that’s important to you, specify it. Otherwise just read reviews and listings thoroughly and choose wisely!
DoB840 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:11 pm

It's important to filter the listings accordingly, and usually pretty visible in photos and reviews. Did you take a look back at the listing after the fact and see if anyone else mentioned similar concerns about their stay?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If it is the home owner on the bed or another guest before you, it's the same thing.

I've stayed in one AIRBNB where there was a locked cupboard that was obviously their stuff and they still had plenty of their things in cupboards and in the bathroom. Didn't really worry me.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I have misread. Are you saying you hate stays where someone has left their stuff in the apartment or when it is a shared rental with you and the home owner?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I think I have misread. Are you saying you hate stays where someone has left their stuff in the apartment or when it is a shared rental with you and the home owner?

I think the OP likes apartments set up just as rental units (no people and no personal belongings). Perhaps, there should be a way to screen for that on Airbnb?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Up there, Route 36 LaPaz Diamond
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I think the OP likes apartments set up just as rental units (no people and no personal belongings). Perhaps, there should be a way to screen for that on Airbnb?
There is an easy to filter out shared rooms...If OP paid for a non shared room/apt he needs to be seeking a refund from Airbnb
We have used AirBnb much more than hotels the last couple of years during vacations and stateside road trips with nothing but positive experiences.
I always make sure to read reviews and pay for non shared places.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a way to choose to have the whole place to yourself.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
There is a way to choose to have the whole place to yourself.
Yes, I see that but I think some people do not want any personal items in their apartment. They do not want to to worry if they break or take something.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Honestly, if this is a major issue for you, don't use Airbnb--use VRBO.

Yes, Airbnb has been (very fast and very hard) moving into the whole-home vacation rental space, but it is still, at its core, part of the sharing economy ("use my unused stuff for cheap"). VRBO (and its identical twin brand, HomeAway) comes from a long-time heritage of whole-home vacation rentals (originally, people renting out their unused second home). VRBO doesn't even have options to list or search for room/partial-home rentals, so that isn't a consideration. And because of the fees owners pay to list on VRBO, it's much less casual.

Prices may (but not always) reflect the more exclusive market.

That said, yes, you can contort Airbnb just fine into working for whole-home dedicated vacation rentals. The "Entire Place" filter is one start, though it doesn't perfectly screen against the guy casually renting his apartment out and moving into a hotel without even scrubbing the tub or folding his laundry when it gets rented out. As others have mentioned, photos and reviews are one thing you have to look at on Airbnb. So is a careful reading of the listing description. Direct questions of the owner may even be necessary in some cases. But these types of places do fill a need--some people are quite happy to exchange a lower rate for a little bit less of a "sterile hotel"-type feel (up to and including sharing with roommates), so I doubt Airbnb is going to make any effort to screen these types of listings out anytime soon.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I'm looking at airbnbs in Copenhagen and it's probably the first city I've ever encountered where the majority of listings (at least the majority of the ones I've seen) appear to be owner-occupied.

I have to admit I'm not crazy about the arrangement, but CPH is a pricy city, especially for larger suites capable of accommodating a family of 4, so beggars can't be choosers. But yes, this is not really ideal from my standpoint.
Have you tried https://www.apartmentincopenhagen.com
It's a locally owned and managed short term rental agency. Very professional. Excellent communication. Every question we had was answered so there were no surprises at all.
I used them in May 2015 and we got a terrific 1 br fully fitted but not owner occupied in the courtyard behind #31 Nyhavn. 10 days for 1520€ . Location was remarkable. Easily accessible with public transport. If you know Nyhavn, it's all restaurants and bars and it is hopping most nights and nuts on weekends. Which was great when we were in the mood. But the apartment in the courtyard was totally quiet. I mean sit on the balcony and read quiet .
I'm thinking of another trip next year and unfortunately, that particular apartment - listing #4 - isn't available. I believe the building is under renovation. But saw plenty of great looking places in every neighborhood of Copenhagen.
Give them a look.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rickg523
Have you tried https://www.apartmentincopenhagen.com
It's a locally owned and managed short term rental agency. Very professional. Excellent communication. Every question we had was answered so there were no surprises at all.
I used them in May 2015 and we got a terrific 1 br fully fitted but not owner occupied in the courtyard behind #31 Nyhavn. 10 days for 1520€ . Location was remarkable. Easily accessible with public transport. If you know Nyhavn, it's all restaurants and bars and it is hopping most nights and nuts on weekends. Which was great when we were in the mood. But the apartment in the courtyard was totally quiet. I mean sit on the balcony and read quiet .
I'm thinking of another trip next year and unfortunately, that particular apartment - listing #4 - isn't available. I believe the building is under renovation. But saw plenty of great looking places in every neighborhood of Copenhagen.
Give them a look.
Thank you for the tip, I will take a look.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:20 pm

Yes, I see that but I think some people do not want any personal items in their apartment. They do not want to to worry if they break or take something.
Even though my one and only choice is 'the whole place to myself', after a recent stay in Costa Rica, I have now learned to ask 'is this your primary residence'? Not only not having a place to hang up clothes for a week's stay, it is a bit strange to stay in a stranger's home. (In this case the owners were traveling in Europe for an extended period of time.)

I was just looking at airbnbs in NYC. I found an acceptable property and then read 'I have a dog and cat, not present during the time you are there unless you want a discount to feed the cat'. I guess this is a primary residence and the occupant sleeps elsewhere.
ChinaShrek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.