Is airbnb even competitive anymore?

Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:26 am

Airbnb rates usually don't fluctuate much and so are better than hotels at certain times such as weekdays in cities like DC or NYC. It's just like how Turo is usually much cheaper than car rental agencies in the summer.

During a winter weekend in NYC? Hotels beat Airbnb by far. For example, 90-120 USD a night at one of the Hilton properties on Manhattan with free breakfast and points versus at least 175 USD after all fees at an Airbnb studio...

Airbnb is also useful in cities with strangely high hotel rates such as Manila or Prague. In the end, having an extra option is always great when hotel prices spike.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
I booked a room in a AirBnB in Manchester than a few hours later got a deal in an Ibis Budget cheaper than the AirBnB, so I cancelled the original booking. So it still pays to shop around. Having said that we had a fantastic cottage on the Isle of Wight last October, and a very nice house for 6 of us in Exeter in November. Touch wood have yet to have a bad one.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I was just doing this analysis for a few short stays in European cities for this coming summer. I found it for short stays fees wind up really adding up where as if the stay is for a week the cleaning and other administrative fees dont raise that per night cost as much. Generally Im finding an increasing number of fees that have to do with The cost of doing business that are being pushed on to the customer. These costs are more transparent in a hotel scenario. I do find that some of the owner manage properties will negotiate on some of these fees, last year for a villa in Mallorca I was able to knock off a couple of administrative fees in exchange for a security deposit. That doesnt work with the agency managed properties, which actually seem to be the ones adding the largest fees.

But my bigger issue has to do with the certainty of what you are getting. Ive stayed in or visited many hotels in cities around the world where I like to travel and I know exactly whats there and can reinforce my initial impressions with reviews from a number of sites. I find with VRBO and Airbnb that sometimes there are no reviews and other times there are deeply conflicting reviews. For one property in London that I was looking at, one of the reviews said this place doesnt actually have air-conditioning and another one of the reviews said that it was comfortably air-conditioned. Really?! For another property I found reviews that said that this wasnt even the apartment that we wound up staying in. For Airbnb the only times I have tried to use it I have affectively found scammers who are advertising non-existent places and trying to get me to directly wire them the money in exchange for a discounted rate.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by stephem
I find with VRBO and Airbnb that sometimes there are no reviews and other times there are deeply conflicting reviews. For one property in London that I was looking at, one of the reviews said this place doesnt actually have air-conditioning and another one of the reviews said that it was comfortably air-conditioned. Really?!
Ive found that Airbnb guests tend to be quite generous and a bit overly-positive when reviewing. I dont believe Ive ever seen a listing with anything lower than 3 stars, which is remarkable given that I tend to shop among the lowest-priced Airbnbs. I cover my take on the subtleties of guest reviews at some length in an Airbnb how-to I wrote (a few months prior to the "7 for 7" trip to France I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread).

Unless you have some bookings under your belt, you should probably stay away from listings with no reviews. However, they can prove to be great bargains. I have a trip to the American Southwest planned for the fall. Finding affordable lodging within "close" proximity to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon can be really tough. At first, I had booked a stay at a well-reviewed mobile home for the two of us. But then I noticed that the host had freshly listed what appear to me to be some converted office trailers in the same vicinity. All of them had few to no reviews. But, given the track record of the host, I went ahead and booked.

I just went back and took a look at those listings and they both have 30+ reviews, with no obviously shocking complaints. I'm hopeful that it'll turn out well.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
From my personal experience, Airbnb's provide the most value in opening up accommodations in more remote areas. As an avid skier, I take ski trips every year and I found Airbnb's to be very reliable in small towns (like Wanaka in New Zealand, Val d'Anniviers in Switzerland). These more remote areas rarely have much hotels and Airbnb's opens up the opportunity to discover these hidden gems during the peak travel period.

In the major cities, Airbnb's tend to come up to the same price as hotel chains but the personal experience with great hosts can change the travel experience. There is something different about staying in a local house/home than in a hotel. Most vacation rental places still resembles more of a serviced apartment than a home. And sometimes when you travel solo, there can be a better experience to be had when reserving an Airbnb.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had a few wonky issues trying to book Airbnb's, but it's gotta better in the past 1-2 years.

Most of the units I've booked have been great - as advertised. I've had 2 that have had underpowered air conditioners, but it wasn't unbearable.

For me, it's not just about the cost per head per night. It's also about having a living room, kitchen, patio/balcony, dining room table that seats 6 or 8 people, etc. Sometimes at the end of a long day we just like to kick back, open a couple bottles of wine, and sit outside. Not always easy to do that if we've booked 3 or 4 regular hotel rooms.

And the cost per head per night usually *is* lower than a typical midrange hotel...at least in most cities in the US or Europe.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:40 pm

possible more expensive now to stay in ones house than hotel if shop
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hawaii using pandemic to suffocate Airbnb’s in favor of hotels?

https://viewfromthewing.com/hawaii-u...rotect-hotels/
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
My experience is that some of the apartments/rooms will also be available on Booking.com (you will notice that the same pics are used on both online platforms) and usually for less than on Airbnb and with more generous cancellation policy. So it pays to shop around.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Airbnb can still be competitive in certain cities. It really depends. The hotel options in some cities I'm traveling to are not so great or not so close to areas I need to be in. Airbnb can have some nice/convenient places to stay.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:29 am

The more space you need and the longer you stay the more it makes sense to use Airbnb.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Airbnb is in its' own world... there's no comparison between a Motel/Hotel and a "home rental" period.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Airbnb is in its' own world... there's no comparison between a Motel/Hotel and a "home rental" period.
How much would Motel cost vs Airbnb?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Yes, AirBnB is great for the offbeat locales and alt-lodgings!

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Here are the cases where I have found airbnb better than any other site (and I do a lot of price comparisons etc);

- Fire Island NYC or small town Alaska, places that don't really have hotels and all lodging is room-shares in houses.
- Weird lodgings (e.g. houseboat in tahiti, tree house, school bus, teepee, bubble-tent etc - anything out of the ordinary where staying there is an experience in itself)
- Hongkong where hotels are typically expensive (this was before their crackdown, I've heard airbnb is not allowed or in grey area now)
- London where hotels are typically expensive, an airbnb will get you a private room / shared bathroom for much cheaper in some random house.
- Towns where all hotels are boutique hotels (smaller towns without a chain hotel footprint)

But 95% of the cases, a typical hotel is good.
I totally second this! Taos, for example, has incredible AirBnB listings away from the hustle and dust of the town (think shipping-container homes!). Sonoma and Mendocino counties in NorCal, ditto!

Last edited by noneemac; Dec 14, 2020 at 2:36 am Reason: adding idea
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
When AirBnB makes the most sense, IMO? Long-term rentals exceeding a month. Deep discounts abound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.