Finding medium-term housing in for long-term travel

Old Jun 25, 17, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Finding medium-term housing in for long-term travel

I've read articles from time to time about "digital nomads" and people traveling on a very long-term basis, but I've never been able to figure out how to handle housing.

My girlfriend and I can work remotely and so the idea is to spend 1-3 months in a country, then move on to spend another 1-3 months in other country, and so on. 40-50 hours a week working, free time out and about. This is a way of life for the next year or so, not a vacation or an expense-account business trip, so we don't want to spend all year in small hotel rooms, renting a room in someone else's place, or cheaply-furnished studio apartments, which is what the digital nomad type seems to do... we want a decent kitchen to be able to cook something more elaborate than ramen, and size/comfort/quietness approaching the standard of living we could have staying at home.

The problem I seem to run into with 1-3 months is that, unless you rent for 6-12 months, you're looking at nightly rates. $120 per night is fine for an airbnb when you're traveling for a week, but for a month that comes out to $3,600 for a place that isn't comfortable enough to stay in for more than a week or two--that starts adding up over the months. airbnb rooms don't discount their nightly rates much for monthly stays and in any case it's hard to find availability for 30-90 nights in a row.

For what it's worth we tend to like second-tier cities (or preferably the kind of town your grandmother lives in, but I've already written those off as wishful thinking). Geographically we're all over the place on different continents.

So how do people do it?
Old Jun 25, 17, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Friends, colleagues, and other outreach.

Despite the fixation with web-based searches, the best "finds" are ones people who know you and your tastes know about locally. Or, someone who is a friend-of-a-friend.

Use your network if you are looking for something that isn't corporate, AirBNB or the like.
Old Jun 25, 17, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the problem is only looking at listing companies like airbnb..

many places have minimum leases, but most do not

negotiate direct with owners of residences (not airbnb..)

some apartment companies allow transfers between cities
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:39 pm

Programs: AY+
Try also from airbnb, ask from the landlord different price if you take 3 months.
in some places they give discount for over 1 week and over 1 month rentals.
They might take it, if you are not going some pure tourist location in high season.
Old Jun 25, 17, 6:03 pm

chiangmai

i will be doing 3 weeks in chiangmai this dec to jan.

relying on homeaway first then thru private transaction with owners if i find the place suitable.
Old Jun 25, 17, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Have you searched for corporate housing or corporate apartments?

they might still charge nightly rates, but in smaller cities (at least in the US) they are likely to be less than $120/might for a fully furnished apartment.

i suppose you could try VRBO in the US as well; you might be able to get a good deal if you go someplace off-season.

another possibility - although this might require more work than you want to put into it - is to see if you can find a college or university professor who is going on a short (less than 6 month) research or writing sabbatical - maybe for a single semester - who is looking for a tenant during that time.

or maybe there's even some kind of long-ish-term housesitting service you could sign up with.

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; Jun 25, 17 at 11:17 pm Reason: Add college idea
Old Jun 27, 17, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My first thought is university neighborhoods. That's where you're probably likely to find furnished places for 1-3 months stays that are of the quality you desire but *aren't* targeting the corporate traveler.

But real in-country knowledge is huge...
Old Jun 27, 17, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Have you tried contacting visitors bureaus of cities/areas that interest you and asking if they have info on the kind of rental you are seeking?

Might be worth a try.
Old Jun 28, 17, 9:41 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
This site just got seed funding, and seems to address exactly what you're after - though it's not up and running 100% yet.

https://stayawhile.com/
simonestayawhile likes this.
Old Jun 29, 17, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seriously, these startup listing companies are not designed for this, and not what most use

airbnb targets owners, not renters, and wants numbers so they can do big IPO/etc

airbnb/etc are not offering anything new, and only exist because of existing market

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 30, 17 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 30, 17, 11:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by BDA shorts View Post
For what it's worth we tend to like second-tier cities (or preferably the kind of town your grandmother lives in, but I've already written those off as wishful thinking). Geographically we're all over the place on different continents.
You might want to check if in the destination place such 1-3 month rentals are allowed for people coming on tourist/short-term visa.

In Singapore for example you will have hard time renting anything on 1-6 month period because hotels and serviced apartments are not allowed to rent accommodation for more than 30 days, secondly - tourists on visa free entry are given maximum 90 days.

As a result if you want to rent anything longer than 1 month it will be minimum term 1 year or longer with a requirement to have a long stay visa/pass.
Old Jun 30, 17, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
In Singapore for example you will have hard time renting anything on 1-6 month period because hotels and serviced apartments are not allowed to rent accommodation for more than 30 days, secondly - tourists on visa free entry are given maximum 90 days. As a result if you want to rent anything longer than 1 month it will be minimum term 1 year or longer with a requirement to have a long stay visa/pass.
do visas pay attention to where one has legally reserved? some tourist visas are strict on not allowing any work.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/media-roo...17/Jun/pr17-44
Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) has lowered the minimum stay duration to three months, from the current six months.
http://www.shangri-la.com/singapore/...nt/residences/
A minimum lease of six months is required.
http://www.shangri-la.com/singapore/...nt/apartments/
Complimentary one-way arrival transfer from the airport to Shangri-La Apartments (for leases 1 month & above)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 30, 17 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 30, 17, 8:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
do visas pay attention to where one has legally reserved? some tourist visas are strict on not allowing any work.
Here is where confusion can come from. If I come to Singapore on a tourist visa or on visa free entry, get a place and internet connectivity to work on project with non-Singapore entity and get paid thru non-Singaporean bank - nobody cares because from the point of the employment law I just spend my time here in Singapore as a tourist.

However, if I want to interact with a local business/individual as a business/contractor or employer/employee then one must have proper pass:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits

Above applies for financial transactions as well - you can't open a bank account on tourist visa.

That came today. Hm. Finally they figured out that 6 month minimum lease requirements when people are sent on 3-6 month job/training/exchange/lecturing assignments do not work for these people.

Tenancy Terms
Rates start from SGD 10,800 per month.

Somehow I suspect the OP is not the person looking to spend that amount per month.
Old Jul 1, 17, 8:30 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread as it moves to the Non-Hotel Lodging forum, where it may pick up additional comments. Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 17, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
You likely won't find any great deals on AirBnb/VRBO/etc. because owners can make so much more money at typical nightly rates than at typical monthly rates, so they give little to no discount for monthly rates.

In the U.S., too, complications arise when someone becomes a long-term renter: in most states, anyone staying more than 30 days becomes a tenant with legal rights to housing, which can be problematic when said tenant becomes non-paying and non-compliant and the owner has to go through a lengthy eviction process for removal. AirBnb/VRBO/etc. owners who have been through that process are very unlikely to even allow anyone to stay a month or more, much less encourage it with low rates.

Some of the other ideas posted in this thread are quite interesting. I'll be curious to see how the StayAwhile start-up works out.
simonestayawhile likes this.

Last edited by jackal; Jul 3, 17 at 8:11 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread
Search Engine: