Rental NJ shore late June

Old Jun 2, 17, 8:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Rental NJ shore late June

So my family is doing a gathering in Stone Harbor, NJ during the last week of June. One of my sisters has reserved a house for a week. I have a flight booked, intending to stay 3 nights.
I was under the impression this rental would have plenty of space...but evidently not. I'm way too old to be sleeping on a couch, an air mattress, or the floor.

The nearest Hilton property is a Homewood Suites up near Atlantic City. I reserved it with the AARP rate (can cancel up until 24 hours prior).

Just for kicks, I went on the Airbnb and VBRO sites to see what is left in the area and I found this:

https://www.vrbo.com/7110080ha

It actually sounds almost perfect. $100/night, available, and just a 10 min drive away (versus the 45 min to the Homewood Suites). Plus one of my sisters may stay there too. We probably wouldn't really do much other than sleep there. Perhaps go back to freshen up during the day (like after some time at the beach). I guess we can try the beach near here, for some variety.

Is there something special I should be looking for/at?
Location seems to work, the place looks decent, and the rate is ok too.
I just don't want to discover some hidden catch.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 17, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Hello from the Jersey Shore

It actually looks ok and a little underpriced for "in season". So I google earthed it - still looks good!

Of course there is a big difference between Stone Harbor and N. Wildwood, which can get more busy/crowded/touristy/louder. But for your needs it looks like a good deal and while it's nestled in rental unit settings, if you're just going to sleep there and it's convenient I think it's a deal. Ask about noise if that might be an issue - other than that I would just expect a small, dated, typical jersey rental.

edit: I am assuming you took a really close look at the pics. It's not going to be the quality of a nice hotel room - it's "bungalow" quality.

Last edited by redreeper; Jun 2, 17 at 8:49 pm
Old Jun 3, 17, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!

I sent a brief message asking if some things are included, like bed linens, towels, etc, and I received a rather odd reply: we don't supply any of those things, it is a condo not a hotel. We're not available on those dates anyway.

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be. Just odd, and it is still showing as available on those dates.
Old Jun 3, 17, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

I sent a brief message asking if some things are included, like bed linens, towels, etc, and I received a rather odd reply: we don't supply any of those things, it is a condo not a hotel. We're not available on those dates anyway.

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be. Just odd, and it is still showing as available on those dates.
Looks like maybe you dodged a bullet. That is odd to say the least. And linens not included would be a first for me on a VRBO condo rental.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 4, 17, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

What do you think of this one? I don't see a way to see specifically where it is located.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1798030...-29&s=bfHfs5DW

So is it reasonable to expect bedding and towels?
Not that it is a huge deal, but what about soap or shampoo? If not, I can stop on my drive down from PHL.

I was going to bring an old beach towel or 2 and either give or throw away. I did this while visiting my Mom a year or 2 ago, and one of my sisters took them without question.

Edited:
Found this listing too, gets good reviews:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7500878...-29&s=VJXThxfW

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 4, 17 at 3:41 pm
Old Jun 4, 17, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick follow-up...

I sent a message to the owner/manager of that 2nd listing. I told her why I wanted to stay, who would be staying, and asked how far it was to the other rental in Stone Harbor. Oh, I did ask her if it was available, and if they provide linens.

She replied within an hour, said the distance was about 15 min (depending where specifically, I'm thinking $20 or less Uber). She also pre-approved me for direct booking so I can just book.
I think she thought it funny I asked about linens, she said they provide sheets, towels, all bedding including pillows, plus a kitchen with pots/pans, utensils, and plates/bowls/mugs/glasses, etc.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old Jun 4, 17, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I would be very surprised if any beach house, or any vacation rental house at all, did not provide bed linens and towels, plus at least basic kitchenware. The first place you wrote to sounds bizarre (and from the owner's response, I'd run away fast).

By the way, I'm not sure you are familiar with the individual character of the various beach towns in NJ. Stone Harbor is higher-end and family-oriented to the point of extreme boredom. Wildwood, on the other hand, is more on the "Jersey Shore" (the TV show) end of things--a younger, trashier, partying kind of place. (Although I am not much of a party type myself, I actually prefer Wildwood to Stone Harbor/Avalon because at least you can go out at night and get a drink, vs. the latter two towns where the sidewalks are more or less rolled up at 7:30 PM.)

The condo you linked looks very nice and the good reviews are a very good sign. It's also a good sign that she doesn't rent to people under 22, although I'm not quite sure how she would enforce that since Airbnb doesn't keep track of birthdates.

As for soap and shampoo, the Airbnb listing should specify whether they're provided, and if it doesn't, just ask the host.

Last edited by travelmad478; Jun 4, 17 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 5, 17, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

I just found one more AirBNB, looks like it just became available, Google maps says 5 min to the Stone Harbor rental:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1169947...-29&s=Q_CC6USm

There is 1 review that's a bit negative, but all the rest are fine.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 5, 17, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
I would be very surprised if any beach house, or any vacation rental house at all, did not provide bed linens and towels, plus at least basic kitchenware. The first place you wrote to sounds bizarre (and from the owner's response, I'd run away fast).

By the way, I'm not sure you are familiar with the individual character of the various beach towns in NJ. Stone Harbor is higher-end and family-oriented to the point of extreme boredom. Wildwood, on the other hand, is more on the "Jersey Shore" (the TV show) end of things--a younger, trashier, partying kind of place. (Although I am not much of a party type myself, I actually prefer Wildwood to Stone Harbor/Avalon because at least you can go out at night and get a drink, vs. the latter two towns where the sidewalks are more or less rolled up at 7:30 PM.)

The condo you linked looks very nice and the good reviews are a very good sign. It's also a good sign that she doesn't rent to people under 22, although I'm not quite sure how she would enforce that since Airbnb doesn't keep track of birthdates.

As for soap and shampoo, the Airbnb listing should specify whether they're provided, and if it doesn't, just ask the host.
Thanks for the response and all of the feedback! I've never used AirBNB or vbro, but am open to the idea.

I grew up in NE PA and went, "down the shore," nearly every summer I can remember, sometimes twice. When I was in college, an uncle had a house (well a townhouse) in Ocean City and I went a few times. One summer in college a friend of my Mom's let us use her house in Avalon, which was just incredible.
So I'm a bit familiar with the shore. At least the areas around Atlantic City on South (yes Cape May is also good).

The point of the trip is a family get-together. The house in Stone Harbor is already a done deal. Something for me and 1-2 other sisters, that is somewhat close to the Stone Harbor rental is what I'm looking for.
I don't really drink and rarely go out, so Wildwood is something I'd probably rather avoid.
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL
That Grassy Sound listing also sounds very good. As for the one bad review, I can tell you as a host that certain guests are problematic in pretty predictable ways, and this one fits that bill. The host's response to the review sounds entirely reasonable and believable to me. Every other review is very positive, and the owners are Superhosts after only 15 months in operation, both of which are good signs.

Search this Thread