FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo-757/)
-   -   Bedbugs at Airbnb (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo/1838783-bedbugs-airbnb.html)

1353513636 Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am

Bedbugs at Airbnb

Just stayed at an AirBnB and discovered bed bugs all over and bites all over my skin. I was very shocked that AirBnb was willing to cover my costs for washing everything in my suitcase and replacement for an item that couldn't be washed at had to be thrown away.

I've been asked (automated) to leave feedback for my host and been told that my host has already left feedback for me, but I can't see it until I leave feedback or until the feedback window closes.

The host doesn't have any other feedback pertaining to bedbugs so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they were a great host otherwise and having feedback that says the host had bedbugs in their home would probably kill their bookings, but I'm afraid my host left me very low feedback because I reported the bed bug issue and I won't be able to see it or do anything about it especially even after leaving them positive feedback. I don't use AirBnb much so if the host left me a 1 star rating it would lower my average rating significantly.

How should I handle this?

Finkface Apr 25, 2017 1:02 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 28226176)
Just stayed at an AirBnB and discovered bed bugs all over and bites all over my skin. I was very shocked that AirBnb was willing to cover my costs for washing everything in my suitcase and replacement for an item that couldn't be washed at had to be thrown away.

I've been asked (automated) to leave feedback for my host and been told that my host has already left feedback for me, but I can't see it until I leave feedback or until the feedback window closes.

The host doesn't have any other feedback pertaining to bedbugs so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they were a great host otherwise and having feedback that says the host had bedbugs in their home would probably kill their bookings, but I'm afraid my host left me very low feedback because I reported the bed bug issue and I won't be able to see it or do anything about it especially even after leaving them positive feedback. I don't use AirBnb much so if the host left me a 1 star rating it would lower my average rating significantly.

How should I handle this?

Why not message or email the host saying exactly what you said here and asking him what feedback he left for you?

1353513636 Apr 25, 2017 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 28226254)
Why not message or email the host saying exactly what you said here and asking him what feedback he left for you?

Do you think the host would honestly answer that question if they sought retribution for me reporting the bedbug issue?

lowfareair Apr 25, 2017 4:30 am

I hate to be that guy, but be honest. How do you know that other reviewers didn't have that issue but took pity on the host and just didn't mention it?

Finkface Apr 25, 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 28226316)
Do you think the host would honestly answer that question if they sought retribution for me reporting the bedbug issue?

Even the tone of the response might give you some clue. Or no response at all would be quite telling. It's worth a shot.

Astrophsx Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 28226176)
The host doesn't have any other feedback pertaining to bedbugs so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they were a great host otherwise..

I want you to know that I'm not saying this in a rude tone, but you are part of with what is wrong with AirBnb. You develop a "personal" relationship with the owner and don't want to hurt their business, yet as someone else pointed out, you don't know if this has happened to other guests who felt the same way. It should be no different from a Tripadvisor review for a regular hotel.

Everyone is going to have different levels of expectations and that is reflected in how an individual reviews a room, but on AirBnb they typically will not give an honest review after meeting the host. I can't tell you how many Airbnbs I've stayed at that had glowing reviews only to find that the hosts were accommodating, but the actual place provided was not.

Now you have to stick to super hosts who aren't likely to cancel and find Airbnb's with 20+ reviews and hope there is at least one negative one that gives you an honest sense of what the place is really like to help set your expectation level.

You should leave the negative feedback and state that you hope that the host uses the feedback to fix the issue for future guests. I wouldn't worry too much about the negative feedback (if that did happen) as future hosts can see what you wrote as well and make the decision for themselves.

travelmad478 Apr 25, 2017 8:55 pm

As an Airbnb host (and guest--in fact I'm staying in one right now), I say be honest and tell the bedbug story--without hyperbole, but also without whitewashing. As a guest, I want to know this stuff, and a bad host needs to be called out as a bad host.

I am in an Airbnb room right now and was pretty grossed out to find non-clean sheets (hairs on them, yuck) and a non-clean bathroom. I will be mentioning it in my review; in fact I just now went to look at past reviews and noticed that the most recent one, posted after I booked my stay, does mention the non-clean-sheets issue--I wish I had seen it before my stay, because I would have canceled it. I stayed in another Superhost property about 10 days ago and also found a really rather disgusting bathroom with hairs all over the floor and the shower drain. I mentioned it to the host in person and dinged the property in my star rating. This is what will make service better all over Airbnb, so just go ahead and do it.

Antonio8069 Apr 25, 2017 9:10 pm

proceed cautiously

I would be much more cautious about this one than other FTs have suggested....

You got your compensation from AirBnB. Great. In my case, I had to provide photos of the green mildew in the bath just to get a refund.

There is a reason the host sees the review first. It is called revenge. I wrote a bad review of a flophouse in Miami and the host claimed $$$ from me for damages. Its all in the AirBnB contract. Read it and weep.

For those (of you) who have never completed an AirBnB review, there is a spot for comments to be seen only by the host. Put it there - if you must. Otherwise you are inviting retaliation and needless aggravation.

travelmad478 Apr 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Antonio8069, hosts can't see your review until they write one for you.

Astrophsx Apr 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 28230262)
Antonio8069, hosts can't see your review until they write one for you.

Yeah I was going to say that story just doesn't add up.

igor82j Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

I also had a bedbug problem last year.
For me, my reaction would depend a lot on the general experience. If the entire stay were horrible, i would definitely write a bad review and demand a compensation.
In my case, the room was wonderful, and the host extremely helpful and overall wonderful, so i just consider the bedbugs an "accident". Very unpleasant one, though. So i first sent a message to the host letting him know. He excused a lot, promised to handle the situation for future guests and offered me to refund the cost of my stay.

HMO Apr 26, 2017 9:35 am

Did you told the host about te bedbugs?
If yes, what was his/her answer?

It seems you didn't. Anyway, I believe a honest description is the best, but stating that you didn't tell the host, therefore telling that you didn't give him/her a chance to fix it... honesty is a two way street.

If you told about the bedbugs, and had received an answer, then it might change the tone of your review

1353513636 May 4, 2017 4:24 am

So I never received follow up besides compensation from AirBnb so I left 3 star feedback and mentioned lots of positives of the host and place and briefly mentioned that there were bedbugs.

This is the host's reply:
You are an appauling guest, You check in at 10pm and and check out at 5.30 pm. And when you checked in you have asked to use my washing machine, I have another guest and I will not have the washing machine and dryer going at 11pm at night. You checked out at 5.30 in the morning woke me and my guest as I think you were spewing up or something. And what bedbugs,(AN ABSOLUTE LIE) you never mentioned anything, you only stayed for one night. You were in and you were out. You never have said anything. How dare you to leave me such comment. In spite of that experience I have not any said any bad to you. I will remember you, All of my guests have enjoyed their stay and have given me great reviews and saying the bed is always comfortable and my home is very clean and warm. I guest in this life you will always struck someone who just sickening in the stomach. You never know who will hit like this way. I will never have you again.

Host decided to make up a story that I vomited in their house (although I wasn't asked to pay for the vomit likely because the host had absolutely no proof I vomited in their house since I didn't), spelled lots of things wrong, mixed up am and pm, and seems really emotional....guess I did the right thing after all.