FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo-757/)
-   -   AirBnB is crushing the serviced apartments industry (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo/1820071-airbnb-crushing-serviced-apartments-industry.html)

jakechelsea Feb 6, 2017 10:25 am

AirBnB is crushing the serviced apartments industry

Experiencing first hand AirBnB squeezing the serviced apartments industry with a very tight grip.

With an average of 1.5million searches for AirBnB through Google search per month, the serviced apartments industry has no choice but to list their apartments on the site in order to take advantage of the magnitude of AirBnB, as finding and winning new direct clients becomes increasingly difficult due to the sheer size of AirBnB.

Rates are then lowered to compete with cheap apartments listed by couples and individuals looking to make a quick buck.

Not to mention AirBnB bookings are usually put in the worst apartment in the portfolio.

Using AirBnB for business bookings will never be as good as booking direct, but hey, they've disrupted the industry - fair play!

stuart_f Feb 7, 2017 2:43 am

You come across as the owner of a serviced apartment business who is upset at how AirBnB is doing a better job of meeting the demand than you are.

Not to mention AirBnB bookings are usually put in the worst apartment in the portfolio.
A great way to get bad feedback and lose even more business.

kai71 Feb 8, 2018 9:58 am

I don't think that is true... guests should be put in the apartment they choosed. Plus a serviced apartment business is likely to be more professional than Jack of all trades, am I right? So, I guess I'd rather go with one of these instead of

cheap apartments listed by couples and individuals looking to make a quick buck

rickg523 Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm

I prefer professionally managed short term rentals. I use Airbnb as a search engine only. The type of property I want will have their own website which I then use as a contact. I've always felt professionally managed short term rentals were a resource for seasoned travelers. The kind of traveler that can find direct contact once they know you exist, without going through a listing service.
(I also depend much more on the quality of that interaction than I do on Airbnb reviews).
I prefer to pay the property directly in their own currency without paying Airbnb's fees.
Btw, perhaps it's the quality of rental I take, but the rates would never be mistaken for a casual rental by a resident.