Why is Airbnb 'strict cancellation' so one-sided ?

Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Angry Why is Airbnb 'strict cancellation' so one-sided ?

Last October we chose a property near Huntingdon beach to stay 10 nights this Summer. To reserve the dates we needed to pay all the $4K rent upfront. Did this through PayPal and had a few Airbnb chats to the host confirming the make-up of our party and arrival time. Fast forward to 1/27 .. I get 2 messages on IPad, one from Airbnb telling me that my reservation has been cancelled and the other from PayPal telling me that my credit card was being refunded.

I've never used Airbnb before so was surprised (massive understatement !) that the owner can seemingly do this without any financial penalty, whereas I would always suffer some sort of penalty if I cancelled any time after the booking.

I used the Airbnb chat to ask the host why my reservation had been cancelled and .. Absolutely no response.

So, I have my money back after loaning out to someone interest free for 4 months. I'm very reluctant to rebook at another Airbnb property as there appears to be nothing I can do to prevent it happening again.

Only silver lining is that the cancellation was 4 months from start of holiday rather then 4 days or even 4 hours !!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire elite, Marriott Gold
This was a huge problem last year during PAX Prime, which is a very busy gaming event in Seattle with about 70-80 thousand attendee. I saw a lot of "help I booked something early host found out about pax prime and canceled my booking to hike up the rate." My group end up booking the Fairmont at the conference rate of 240 a night plus tax, which is an excellent rate and less stress.

I been steering some of my friends toward hotels if things get busy enough, the price hike isn't really justified in a lot of cases, people can get overly optimistic about how high they should set their airbnb prices for.

That said, you can get in touch with Airbnb, with four months out there will be other options, and they will usually give you some credit to use in finding your next spot, you are absolutely right that it's good that you still got some time to rebook.

superhosts are less likely to cancel, as even one single cancellation without a guest violation will end the superhosts status. Other hosts don't quite have the same incentive other than the promise of your booking, unfortunately.

it sucks to get canceled on, but with instant booking, hosts are generally allowed to cancel penalty free, twice a year, so for whatever reason people can decide to use it sometimes. It's unfortunate but since it's someone's house their vacation timing could have changed, so it's a tad less reliable than if you are booking hotel rooms. I generally go with hosts with lots of good reviews that show me they are a good person with a kind heart who want their guest to be treated with the right kind of customer service. But when you are dealing with people one on one, some of the things I enjoy with hotels don't always happen
-booking, cancelling, booking again, cancelling again, or keep changing dates, I can tell potential host don't like it when I send a message and then my target arrival date keeps changing lol

-arriving super super late. The host has other things to do, hence it's different than a hotel with a full time receptionist.

-If I know I will be flaky, I book a hotel, that said, there are def moments where I miss certain things about hotels. Airbnb can be great if you are staying longer, and your host is a good host, or if I needed a large house to stay at with friends and we plan on throwing a party on the last day(with host permission of course)
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL
+1 to everything justaagirl said, with two more points:

(1) Don't write off Airbnb, but choose properties that have Superhosts. As mentioned above, even one cancellation means a Superhost will lost the status for a full year, which is a painful thing. (I'm a Superhost myself and I am very conscious of maintaining it.)

(2) It's not the host that kept your money for all those months, so although you have every right to be pissed off about the cancellation, that's one thing you can't accuse the host of. We get paid only when the stay occurs. Airbnb keeps the float.

I agree with the suggestion to contact Airbnb and complain. They are still a new enough company, and concerned enough about their reputation, that they will give you some kind of benefit to make you feel better. It will likely be a credit for a future stay. I got this once for both myself and one of my guests when Airbnb screwed up her registration process and caused serious hassles for both of us in booking her stay.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:03 pm

I have heard stories like this before. It just seems AirBNB is unreliable. Well, as reliable as underlying people who are offering their place.
That is why hotels seem a surer bet. They have contractual obligations (especially if you have status)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I have heard stories like this before. It just seems AirBNB is unreliable. Well, as reliable as underlying people who are offering their place.
That is why hotels seem a surer bet. They have contractual obligations (especially if you have status)
I would say Superhosts are very reliable, they are not going to risk losing their superhosts status as it means
-100 airbnb credit each year to spend
-priority result in search
-basically a status symbol

I am a superhost on Airbnb from hosting somewhat casually when I travel, I guess when I actually travel myself it makes me a better host, plus the room I offer is basic but priced on the very cheap end. I will tell you that I am willing to not get the top dollar to keep my superhost status. Yes I am THAT shallow and I care about my online status THAT much, just like everyone else who is very very attached to our hotel and airline status.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
+1 to everything justaagirl said, with two more points:

(1) Don't write off Airbnb, but choose properties that have Superhosts. As mentioned above, even one cancellation means a Superhost will lost the status for a full year, which is a painful thing. (I'm a Superhost myself and I am very conscious of maintaining it.)

(2) It's not the host that kept your money for all those months, so although you have every right to be pissed off about the cancellation, that's one thing you can't accuse the host of. We get paid only when the stay occurs. Airbnb keeps the float.

I agree with the suggestion to contact Airbnb and complain. They are still a new enough company, and concerned enough about their reputation, that they will give you some kind of benefit to make you feel better. It will likely be a credit for a future stay. I got this once for both myself and one of my guests when Airbnb screwed up her registration process and caused serious hassles for both of us in booking her stay.
As I mentioned, I'm new to Airbnb.

For what we wanted (10 night stay, 6 persons), it seemed much better to rent a house than stay in a hotel.

I'd like to persevere with Airbnb, but will probably break our vacation into 2 reservations to minimise a repeat situation (if it's as rare as I'm now led to believe).

2 Questions :

1 - How do I complain to Airbnb about my experience ?
2 - Is it easy to filter 'Superhosts' in my new searches ?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by wenzlydale
They make it a fairly convoluted process to get hold of them directly, but if you persevere you can do it. Via the app, there is a "help and support" menu item when you look at your profile. In that screen, try clicking on "resolve a problem" and then choosing "I can't get in touch with my host." There are a couple of different paths to follow from here, which if you keep following them will eventually let you send a message to Airbnb or call their "urgent issues" phone number (which isn't really germane in this case).

For whatever reason, you can't do it when you use the Airbnb app, but you can do it when you use the regular website to do a search. It's in the Filters section once you have selected the geographic location.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:56 pm

As I mentioned, I'm new to Airbnb.

For what we wanted (10 night stay, 6 persons), it seemed much better to rent a house than stay in a hotel.

I'd like to persevere with Airbnb, but will probably break our vacation into 2 reservations to minimise a repeat situation (if it's as rare as I'm now led to believe).

2 Questions :

1. like the above poster said, file a complaint through the airbnb website. They will get back to you. If not, try [email protected].
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I filed a complaint a few weeks ago, but no response from Airbnb.

However with the vacation dates fast approaching, I've decided to give Airbnb another chance and have booked a replacement stay with a 'Superhost'.

So, I'm hoping for no further surprises
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:09 am

I hope you have a great experience this time!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
I filed a complaint a few weeks ago, but no response from Airbnb.

However with the vacation dates fast approaching, I've decided to give Airbnb another chance and have booked a replacement stay with a 'Superhost'.

So, I'm hoping for no further surprises
Unfortunately that's my experience as well. Airbnb doesn't care unless it's something that ended up landing on the news. Definitive most hosts are decent people but there is a significant number of scammers, property on arrival is far different from described. Even through the risk is small, it's a risk I do not want to take when it comes to vacations.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
As I stated in other threads:
The hosts enters a rental contract with the guest (tenant).
Some jurisdictions (esp. in Europe) have very pro-tenant laws. Hence, a host cannot just cancel that contract. If they do, the hosts are liable for damages (e.g. hotel costs).
It doesn't matter in these cases what the airbnb terms&conditions say, because the law is usually above them.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
As I stated in other threads:
The hosts enters a rental contract with the guest (tenant).
Some jurisdictions (esp. in Europe) have very pro-tenant laws. Hence, a host cannot just cancel that contract. If they do, the hosts are liable for damages (e.g. hotel costs).
It doesn't matter in these cases what the airbnb terms&conditions say, because the law is usually above them.
Good point! Everyone also forgets that Airbnb doesn't protect the property owner from obtaining proper insurance, permits, zoning, etc. (meaning: That's on YOU to research). If their house burns down, you get robbed, or you're injured, good luck getting anything as a guest at what is essentially an under-the-table hotel.
On the flip-side, California rental law says you must receive 30-days notice for eviction unless the property is licensed as a hotel or B&B, so stay the whole month! Enjoy!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I booked a beach property for a week mid-March (I assume this is prime Spring break time as rates are higher) Owner has strict policy in place therefore if I were to cancel now until 7 days before I would only get 50% back.
I reached out and asked that because it still far out (and an in-demand time) with plenty of time for someone else to book, would they offer a higher than the normal 50% refund (not expecting full)
I have had a job change and very likely wont be able to make the vacation time work now. So I was hoping that reaching out so far in advance would be good for both of us.
Owner said no, which is disappointing. Pretty sure he will get a rebooking almost 4 months out.
So my main question is, if I definitely need to cancel, why would I do it now? Why would I help the owner with more time to rebook and make more money when he won't help me?
There is no additional penalty for me to wait until 8 days before as i still get the same money back. But the owner is less likely to rent if I wait that long.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by shawneve
Owner said no, which is disappointing. Pretty sure he will get a rebooking almost 4 months out.
So my main question is, if I definitely need to cancel, why would I do it now? Why would I help the owner with more time to rebook and make more money when he won't help me?
There is no additional penalty for me to wait until 8 days before as i still get the same money back. But the owner is less likely to rent if I wait that long.
Sure, you can do whatever you like, and if your actions are purely designed to be vindictive, thats your prerogative. That said, by waiting youre also letting Airbnb (not the host) keep your money for an additional 4 months. Which is more valuable to you, attempting to penalize the host for your failure to read/accept the clearly posted cancellation policy, or having the cash back in your hands?

If this were an airline you were dealing with on a nonrefundable ticket youd bought, would you do the same thing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.