Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb requesting ID and photo ??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As an AirBnB and VRBO host, I can assure you that I feel a lot more nervous about AirBnB bookings than VRBO as AirBnB strictly limits the information the host can receive. I do whole house rentals so clearly I need to be concerned about the security of the house which I am lending to people. AirBnB does not permit me to know their phone number, so I cannot speak to them before the booking, and make an assessment of them - all I have is the "fact" that AirBnB has checked their identity and, on the rare occasion they've rented somewhere else, a review of them as guests.

Likewise, potential renters are not allowed to know my phone number either.

In my view, less privacy is required in these circumstances, rather than more. AirBnB is not like a hotel, it's a private contract between private individuals and it's up to both individuals to be comfortable with the other party.
FWIW, I almost have the opposite view. I actually feel slightly more comfortable with Airbnb bookings, because I know that Airbnb has done at least some level of vetting their identity (whether by driver's license, social media profile, or whatever) and thus Airbnb has accepted responsibility for ensuring payment details are valid. With HomeAway (parent of VRBO), even though I ask for a copy of ID after booking (emailed, not in person, because I allow my guests to check in anytime with a door code and don't meet them in person), I'm taking the full risk for credit card chargebacks due to fraudulent card usage, whereas Airbnb absorbs the risk of fraudulent payment chargebacks.

That said, I do still have a slight tendency towards trusting Airbnb bookings/customers less than HomeAway primarily because Airbnb tends to be prevalent among a younger crowd (where there's a [slight] chance of irresponsible behavior) whereas VRBO/HomeAway tends to attract a more mature audience (i.e. more responsible), though that's not ironclad, of course. I've had plenty of older folks book via Airbnb and haven't had any trouble with the younger ones doing anything to my units.

As a consumer, I much prefer Airbnb having access to my ID than an owner whom I know nothing about and have no reason to trust with my information. For those above (and yes, I realize this is an older thread) who say that they shouldn't have to give their IDs to Airbnb because they don't have to give their IDs to Marriott or Hilton or whatever, consider the fact that:
  • as has been emphasized, Airbnbs are not hotels, so what hotels do is relatively immaterial
  • hotels typically have formalized check-in procedures, part of which does often include verifying ID, whereas it is often possible to check into an Airbnb without ever seeing the owner
  • hotels are typically large operations with professionally-set-up POS/guest management systems and/or corporate rules regarding guest information privacy and PCI compliance
And as an Airbnb host, while it's far from perfect, I appreciate that Airbnb is then willing to "vouch" for the guest who books my unit and absorb some of the risk of fraudulent payment without me having to go through the painful chargeback process myself.

Originally Posted by Finkface
As a VRBO and AirBnB host, I will never enable instant booking. I want to hear from my potential guest first, rather than just letting someone book blindly. I don't hesitate to ask for a bit of infomation about potential guests and I am happy to tell them anything they want to know. I give my actual email and phone number (which has to be spelled out as both VRBO and AirBnB will block this within your replies ) and ask for the same from guests. And on the rare occasions where my gut told me something was off, such as claiming it is for 2 adults when really, they are bringing their 4 kids as well, it was right. I do a bit of basic googling about any potential guest and I expect they probably do the same. How does AirBnB know I really am who I say I am just because I scan an id? Oh, right, no such thing as fake or altered id or people using others' ids to circumvent the policy.
I do whole home rentals as well, but honestly, the old method of using HomeAway as basically a glorified classified listing site where you advertise your home and then potential renters apply for your approval is going away (that much was made very clear at the last HomeAway summit in Nashville--you should have heard the outright booing in some places during CEO John Kim's keynotes). The new generation wants instant-booking a la Airbnb, and HomeAway is working to give it to them. We're in a transition phase now, but HomeAway is moving towards (and in many respects even today already has) a fully automated platform that significantly rewards hosts who use instant booking, HomeAway's own payments platform, and play along with the rules. FWIW, I have instant-booking enabled for both platforms (on HA, I require the maximum--a verified email address and at least one positive review--and on Air, I also require the maximum--verified ID and at least one positive review) and have had zero issues with having guests I wouldn't have otherwise manually approved book, and I have no doubt I've increased my revenue far more than any potential damage could cost me.

Owners who are holding onto the old methods of screening applicants themselves and choosing who is allowed to book their home (and taking a day or three to do so) can still do that, but the booking platforms will lower their listing's ranking and they'll be leaving a lot of bookings (i.e. money) on the table.

Originally Posted by djbmw
I dont know about the rest of you but the only new information Airbnb is gaining from having my drivers license is my approximate height. Everything else, they already had. As for the "Drivers License Number" that's on my card - it's simply a mix of my last name (converted to numbers), first name (converted to numbers), and birth date. Your drivers license number is likely the same, just look up the 'encryption format' of drivers licenses.

So, what's the big deal? Is the big deal that now the info is also matched up to the shiny background of my drivers license? In all reality, anyone with a graphics arts background and an hour of time could take a 'blank' drivers license template and the information that was already available through Airbnb about me and make an exact copy of my actual drivers license, without me ever uploading one.
Sure, you can scam Airbnb. Maybe some people are already doing that. But as long as Airbnb is willing to (at least in part) assume that risk and protect me against fraudulent usage (protection I don't have when I use HomeAway's payments processor or my own credit card processor, which is why I require ID on those booking channels to at least have some ability to fight back if I ever do receive a chargeback for fraudulent usage), I don't much care whether you scam Airbnb with a fake ID or not, so have at it.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 12, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
Airbnbs are not hotels
This is where we disagree. At this point, 2018, Airbnb is a hotel company. Trying to argue otherwise for the purpose of enabling racist behavior, tax evasion, or otherwise breaking local hospitality laws is an increasing failing argument. More and more cities are figuring this out and starting to regulate them properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.