Are Airbnb reviews reliable?

Old Feb 22, 19, 5:23 pm

Hate how airbnb review system works!
I have recently booked an airbnb house for a group of eight for our business trip, first time being the one that books.
At very early communications I started to sense the difference between copy/pasted messages (long and friendly) and hand-written ones (short and somewhat impatient and just unclear and grammatically ill - the moment I saw "your welcome" I knew it wasn't going to end well!!). I asked about the bedroom/bathroom layouts for sleeping arrangements (we had boys and girls). The host did respond promptly but we later found out the information did not match the property - the host talked about the bedrooms in first and second floors, but the real house is one-storey. This is one of many hints that this is not a "real" airbnb but a managed property.
The door to the laundry room was broken but we did not care and did not report (we certainly should have!). After check out the host asked about the broken door (short hand-written message), and I explained it was broken when we got there and we just didn't care. The host replied and thanked me for the information in broken sentences I still haven't quite worked out the full meaning which gave me an impression that this issue just passed. After the mutually warm and amicable reviews were exchanged, the second day airbnb sent me the host's request of $100 additional payment to fix the door. I just felt backstabbed! The host wrote in the claim that an "in tac" door was left broken and we NEVER came back to her inquiry about it. I replied strong-wordedly that we clearly and promptly answered her question, the door was not *intact, and would not pay for anything that is not our responsibility but an existing condition. I also took screenshots and saved all our communications in case I needed to show that 1. We DID come back and answered her questions. 2. the host gave us false information of the house.
There is no development after some months and I think it has just passed. I just deeply dislike how the review system works in a way that everyone is friendly on the website surface but things are wildly different under the cover.
Old Feb 27, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by dr freeze View Post
Hosts should have more exposure if they cancel. Reasons for cancelation should be relayed to guests. Finally, when a host cancels like this, there should be the opportunity to review them so that the rest of the community may be aware of the particular host's proclivities.
If a host cancels, a notification that it happens is placed in the reviews section. So if a host makes a habit of it, potential guests can see it in the record.

I once had an AirBnB reservation, and the host contacted me a day before to say that there was a sudden leak and the place was uninhabitable. He arranged a room for us in a decent nearby hotel at no extra charge (the room cost a bit more than the AirBnB rental). I think he did that to avoid the "host canceled" notification.

Originally Posted by Agosti View Post
I just deeply dislike how the review system works in a way that everyone is friendly on the website surface but things are wildly different under the cover.
Well, I've rented a bunch of AirBnBs, and to be honest I've encountered nothing but honest and friendly hosts. I'm not sure why you're complaining about the review system: it could in fact be the case that no previous guest actually had a problem with this host. After you post your negative review, that will help to clue potential guests in to a possible problem - precisely what reviews are supposed to do.
Old May 1, 19, 4:38 pm

For me, it's legit.

You have to book to be able to leave a review.

I've hosted dozens of bookings myself and never had any issues.

I get 5 stars pretty much every time, it's really the guests that fluctuate.
Old Nov 20, 19, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pnt1 View Post
10000% skepitcal of airbnb reviews.

Even myself, I only give 5 stars or no reviews. Unless something terrible happens, in which case I give a 1 star.
I believe this is typical behavior of guests, and is why many experienced travellers (including myself) use airbnb as their last option for booking accommodations.

It's actually funny to read hotel reviews, where guests complain about EVERYTHING, and then read airbnb reviews, where guests complain about NOTHING. While both systems are a bit weird, at least the hotel reviews are "real," and you can choose to filter out the negative reviews which seem petty or not deal-breaking. The problem with the airbnb system is that there is virtually no constructive criticism. Your best shot is to look for code words: like a "cozy space" is actually a " very small room."

Because there is no criticism, I'm left with picking only 5-star properties when I need one and, if I have the time, pouring over the photos and reviews for clues as to what I'm really getting. This way, I've avoided terrible properties, but it's still difficult to pick out the gems from the "only OK" listings. For this reason, I prefer booking rooms at smaller properties on booking.com over airbnb, as booking.com customers are far more critical in their comments and give me a better idea of what I'm getting into.

I do think that airbnb knows this is a problem with their review system, but I doubt they have a solution. It's very hard to change a system where all their listings look like great choices. But they need to, as they will lose repeat customers like myself, who know enough to not trust their reviews and who therefore prefer to book though other, more reliable channels .
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I believe this is typical behavior of guests, and is why many experienced travellers (including myself) use airbnb as their last option for booking accommodations.

It's actually funny to read hotel reviews, where guests complain about EVERYTHING, and then read airbnb reviews, where guests complain about NOTHING. While both systems are a bit weird, at least the hotel reviews are "real," and you can choose to filter out the negative reviews which seem petty or not deal-breaking. The problem with the airbnb system is that there is virtually no constructive criticism. Your best shot is to look for code words: like a "cozy space" is actually a " very small room."

Because there is no criticism, I'm left with picking only 5-star properties when I need one and, if I have the time, pouring over the photos and reviews for clues as to what I'm really getting. This way, I've avoided terrible properties, but it's still difficult to pick out the gems from the "only OK" listings. For this reason, I prefer booking rooms at smaller properties on booking.com over airbnb, as booking.com customers are far more critical in their comments and give me a better idea of what I'm getting into.

I do think that airbnb knows this is a problem with their review system, but I doubt they have a solution. It's very hard to change a system where all their listings look like great choices. But they need to, as they will lose repeat customers like myself, who know enough to not trust their reviews and who therefore prefer to book though other, more reliable channels .
As an AirBnB host and renter, I agree completely with what you are saying. When I rent, I invest a significant amount of time for wading through endless mediocre properties. I do rent quite often in the USA and I've discovered that the thing to look for is photos of the bathrooms. These are usually very old-fashioned and unsatisfactory, but occasionally you find a property with an acceptable or even decent one. 95% of properties can be eliminated this way. Only once I've looked at that do I look at the reviews, but they really don't say much.

As a Host, I find the system absurd. To stand out, you have to be a SuperHost, and, to achieve that, you need nearly all your reviews to be 5 stars. This leaves you open to blackmail from unscrupulous guests who threaten (usually immediately on arrival) to give you a one star review if you don't give them a discount. AirBnB knows this is a problem but does little to discourage it. I find that the VRBO system, whilst having some of these failings, seems to offer better properties and doesn't have as many failings. For my own property, because of all the issues with AirBnB, I now charge more for AirBnB rentals than VRBO. Sadly, though, AirBnB dominates the market and so you can't just ignore it.
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
As a Host, I find the system absurd. To stand out, you have to be a SuperHost, and, to achieve that, you need nearly all your reviews to be 5 stars. This leaves you open to blackmail from unscrupulous guests who threaten (usually immediately on arrival) to give you a one star review if you don't give them a discount.
Wow, I hosted for 6 years (Superhost the entire time that the designation existed) and never once had this happen.
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
Wow, I hosted for 6 years (Superhost the entire time that the designation existed) and never once had this happen.
Yeah, I know there are bad people in the world, but I would think such a blackmail attempt would be rare. Indeed, the major problem with airbnb -- as I've said before -- is that it's "too personalized." People form a human connection with their host and feel bad about leaving any criticism, even constructive criticism. Kind of like if someone invited you over for dinner, the food sucked, but you still told them it was great. So everything on airbnb sounds wonderful when it isn't. This is understandable given human nature. In contrast, it takes a really horrible person to stay "in your home" and then blackmail you for a discount.
Old Nov 29, 19, 8:50 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Clearly they are not reliable, but then again neither is Airbnb IMNSHO. So, what do you expect?

Search this Thread