Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

New fees for guests on vrbo/homeaway- please call/email to complain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New fees for guests on vrbo/homeaway- please call/email to complain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by doraine
They are around 8% for guests, and it is affecting our business as owners on the site. We already pay $1600/yr for listing our vacation rentals, it's not like they're not making any money! The company made $369 million in 2014. I want to encourage owners and guests to complain to vrbo/homeaway, because this is really outrageous! There may be other postings about this on the site, I'm not sure, but many people are unhappy. We have also encouraged unhappy guests to complain. Here is the contact info: 877 228 3145, email is
[email protected]
By the way, that email address no longer works. They have disabled it. Now you need to go into the site itself and submit a webform. The links are:

HomeAway.com: https://help.homeaway.com/?utm_sourc...mpaign=hahelp1

VRBO.com: https://help.vrbo.com/?utm_source=cs...aign=vrbohelp1
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
I've no idea how typical I am as an Airbnb renter, but what I'm usually looking for is ~ 3-7 days for myself and one of my grandkids or sons. I like the whole house aspect as opposed to the single room aspect of a hotel. More personal space for everybody. I'll pay about what it would take me to get a 3-4* hotel in the area. Access to public transport is important since I usually would rather not rent a car. I always select the "whole house" option rather than the room or even shared room options. A working kitchen lets us have a lot of good meals at reasonable prices, while enjoying local produce.

I've also rented via VRBO and been happy with what I've found, but I end up with Airbnb most often.

The web site on Airbnb has always seemed easier to manage. I like being able to filter for number of beds. That sliding bar graph works better for me than the wide price range selection on VRBO. It always seems I'm wanting a price right at the top of one range or the bottom of another. And I like the Airbnb information on the host.

I think you are right that VRBO is more "up-market" than Airbnb, but I also think there are people using Airbnb that are looking for nicer properties.

Does Airbnb provide any statistical information? % of stays 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.? % of listings in different $ brackets?

I hope things work out for you. I agree it really isn't fair when somebody changes the rules of an agreement. It happens in industry too, when new management comes in and it can be like one has taken a job in a very different company.

This! Not to turn this into an airbnb vs vrbo thread, but I would recommend giving airbnb a try. Yes, some Airbnb hosts have complained about the cheapos using airbnb and requesting discounted rates or just being too iffy. But this is not the majority.

Even though I am a budget traveler, I know what I want and would never expect or request a nice accommodation for overly cheap prices.

Reviews are important to me and airbnb's review system seems to be a bit more stable. The whole system works on reviewing both the host and guest. Sometimes I see great properties on VRBO with no reviews, and I'm left scratching my head. I just figured that the reason could be because the typical crowd that uses vrbo may not be into writing them.

Also, I think Airbnb's interface is better. Sorting through properties on VRBO and Flipkey was always a pain. I do use them to double check properties but always book with Airbnb.

I guess I wrote all of that to say that fees probably would not stop me from booking with VRBO. They've pretty much handled that already with their interface and review system. But, I can understand the frustration and I hope that until the matter is resolved, perhaps you might consider other listing sites.

There are many websites (like the airbnb reddit forum) that can advise on the best way to list properties (such as NEVER allowing the INSTANT BOOK option lol) so just do a little research and see whats best.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I didn't know using VRBO and AirBnB was considered a budget travel thing anymore than to say 'hotel traveling' is budget travel.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I didn't know using VRBO and AirBnB was considered a budget travel thing
Considering that places where I stayed using AirBnB were significantly cheaper than hotels, I'd say it's a Budget Travel thing.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:33 am

I didn't know using VRBO and AirBnB was considered a budget travel thing anymore than to say 'hotel traveling' is budget travel.
I'd consider getting 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, patio, living room for (often) less than the cost of a room at the local Marriott or Hilton budget travel.
And usually a condo doesn't come with additional "resort" fees, parking surcharges, and the necessity to vacate the room daily at an unspecified time for cleaning.

Last edited by EmailKid; May 9, 2016 at 10:43 am Reason: Turned "text" into a real quote
Old May 10, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Considering that places where I stayed using AirBnB were significantly cheaper than hotels, I'd say it's a Budget Travel thing.
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
I'd consider getting 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, patio, living room for (often) less than the cost of a room at the local Marriott or Hilton budget travel.
And usually a condo doesn't come with additional "resort" fees, parking surcharges, and the necessity to vacate the room daily at an unspecified time for cleaning.
By that line of thinking, redeeming points or finding a great sale for a hotel stay could be considered budget travel. To me budget travel isn't about finding a good deal/value (which a lot of times airbnb/vrbo are vs hotels) but a no-frills approach to traveling. (Not needing certain luxuries etc.)

I think of things like hostels, couchsurfing, camping or even motels and 1-2 star hotels when I think of budget travel. I have stayed in airbnb/vrbo that in many ways were far more luxurious than a regular marriott/hilton.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
To me budget travel isn't about finding a good deal/value (which a lot of times airbnb/vrbo are vs hotels) but a no-frills approach to traveling. (Not needing certain luxuries etc.)
You know, we never had that discussion here since the forum was formed

Methinks we need to start a thread about what Budget Travel is to different people.

I think of things like hostels, couchsurfing, camping or even motels and 1-2 star hotels when I think of budget travel. I have stayed in airbnb/vrbo that in many ways were far more luxurious than a regular marriott/hilton.
Our profiles don't list our ages (for those who actually fill them out). So as I get older and make a tad more money, but short of time, I noticed my priorities have shifted.

(I'm hoping one of our BT forum regulars joins us in this discussion )

I've stayed at hostels aplenty with up to a dozen other travelers in a room, though it's been a few years. And NONE of the AirBnB properties where I stayed were anywhere close to even a Motel6

But we are drifting OT for this thread ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.