Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:44 am

I have never used AirBnB, but we host a lot of tourists in town over Shabbat. A few of them were have stayed in an AirBnB rental during the week. Most said the rentals themselves were really nice, but- as typical in our city- some of our neighborhood blocks are sketchy. This is a night life city and walking back at night was a little scary for them.

One couple said they did a google street map tour and the neighborhood looked okay, but things were just different when they got there.

My suggestion to those wanting to use AirBnB is to ask someone you know in the city- if you do- about the neighborhood during the day and at night. That might be a good way to help you make a decision on exactly which rental to choose.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:19 am

Frommer just wrote an article touting Airbnb. He and his daughter stayed in different properties while on the west coast for public relations for their new guide.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Never used it, probably never will. Despite my gripes I generally like hotel rooms and my company will pay for nice ones (where they have them) when I am traveling for business. As for leisure travel I have young children so I would not want to worry about them tearing up someone's house. Hotel rooms are generally pretty safe - I guess they limit the # of items that can be broken or stolen

I have used VRBO and would do so again if I needed a condo for a week somewhere. But generally I am trying to accumulate or use hotel points.

Personally I think it is great that these options are out there - 30 years ago (when I was younger and broke) there was no priceline, no airbnb, no tripadvisor (i.e. real time ratings) - you were 100% dependent on a few guides like Let's Go, Frommers and (later) Lonely Planet and Rough Guide to provide options for budget accommodations, which were often limited and mediocre, particularly in big cities like London, Paris, NYC. And youth hostels which don't work if you like your own room.

Competition benefits the consumer, and knowledge is power.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hit and miss. Used it to get our first (and only) temporary accommodation in Singapore. What owner 'forgot' to mention is that there were cockroaches (who've seen tropical ones, they'd understand what I mean) running in the kitchen at night/evening times.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:55 am

Used it for a trip to NYC last year. We're a family of four, and we figured out that most of the people and things we wanted to see on that trip were in Brooklyn. Plus, we were arriving by car.

We got a wonderful two-bedroom apartment with proper-sized beds (queen/king, not full) and parking, two minutes from the subway in Park Slope/Gowanus. It was exactly what we needed and cost us about the same as a hotel room. (And a lot less than a Manhattan hotel room!) It was heavenly. A few foibles of course (you had to try pretty hard to get the front door key to work, for instance) but it worked out for us exactly as we'd hoped.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:36 pm

I seem to trust homeaway/VRBO far more than AirBNB. I have had amazing experiences using homeaway/VRBO.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:12 pm

Excellent Homeaway experiences in Italy. Hit and miss with airbnb in Italy.

Last edited by lanago2; Apr 18, 2014 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:59 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
MsJessop, why don't you go interview the people who lived next door to the condo rented by a bachelorette group of 10 that mlh1was part of. I'm sure they will have a very different opinion to share with you.

People forget that many of these are in residential properties. When you live in a condo where people are arriving and departing and yes, partying all the time, Airbnb takes on a whole different aspect.

The original idea was fine. Provide a place to sleep when there is an event (ie. concert) in town and beds are hard to find. Or while you are away for a week, why not rent out your place to someone looking for a good deal vs. a hotel.

But that original idea is long gone. Now sites like Airbnb, Homeway, et al. are as likely to be advertising a purpose bought property that is rented out for as much of the year as possible. The unscrupulous 'make a buck' regardless of anyone else crowd have arrived. Here's an example of just how bad it can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=8cr1p33apCw

There are FOUR parties in these transactions. Airbnb, the owner, the renter and the NEIGHBOURS who are expected to put up with it. How would you feel about strangers being handed keys that let them access your building, every week?
OP was asking about people's experiences using the site to rent an apartment. The neighbors are not a party to the transaction. If they believe that any noise ordinances are being violated, the local police will be happy to deal with it.

I haven't had occasion to use AirBnB yet, but I think it's a great concept and would not hesitate to use it (or similar sites) if the situation arose. It would likely be best for longer stays with larger groups.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've used AirBnB, both to great success and great frustration. Hosts who flake out or don't actually have a room available despite their inventory calendar showing open are, unfortunately, all too common IME.

I love the concept of a private place to stay. But without quality control - the company gets paid on every booking and their only incentive is to have more properties, not necessarily better ones - it remains quite a challenge for the consumer.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Twice

1. In-laws visited our apartment which isn't large enought to accomodate 5 adults. So, me and husband found a cheap room (rent-out room in a SFH) abt 5 min driving distance from our Apartment. In-laws stayed at the Apt and we stayed at the AirBnb room. We hardly spent any time in that room as we only used to sleep at night.

2. Last minute leisure trip to NYC with toddler. We only needed one night stay in area near SOHO. Found 1BR on AirBnB and made reservation. Me and the owner of the
1BR exchanged text message up until we met in front of the building. Super convenient location (walking distance to almost every shopping, restaurant, grocery store). We had very comfortable time (but only to sleep at night in the 1BR as we were all touring/shopping during the day).
Saved us $$$$ compared to going to the Hotel.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, UR, IHG, HH, BA, CC
Just used AirBnb to book a two bedroom apartment in San Juan, PR. I am a huge fan.

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment in Isla Verde (near the IC). Apartment was a little dated, but very comfortable. RIGHT on the beach, in a unit with a pool, walking to many different restaurants, and a super market.

Our host was great and the value was incredible. $200/night for 4 of us to stay right on the beach. I would definitely do it again.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:28 am

I find homeaway to be better than Air BnB but love using these services, especially when planning a group trip (when its just the wife and I sometimes its better to be in a hotel with a more upbeat/social vibe).

Have used successfully in :
Puerto Rico (twice)
Reykjvaik
Miami
Shelter Island (NY)

currently looking for a place in Key West over NYE. Attending a wedding and even basic hotel rooms are $400. Plenty of 2 bedrooms avail for $300 a night.

Be careful in NYC though, city is cracking down on this.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Parts of London and most of Paris also have local ordinances restricting or prohibiting short-term lets.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:17 am

Airbnb in Berlin and London

I just had two wonderful stays at airbnb apartments.

I was in Berlin in March in Mitte. Delightful apartment owner. Perfect location on a quiet street. Reasonable price. I was so happy there that I extended a few nights.

This past week, I was in London for the first time. I experienced sticker shock despite my preparation looking at the prices of hotels and apartments. After pricey hotels for a few nights, I found a wonderful airbnb apartment across from Hyde Park for what was a reasonable price given the cost of staying in London. The host was very kind and easy to deal with. Apartment was as described. Only issue was undisclosed renovation of three apartments next to and near hers. She mentioned it at check in, but I was ok with it. I'm a fan-atic about Mack's Earplugs, so the noise wasn't much of a problem.

I was very satisfied with airbnb in both cities.

What I have learned is to book a shorter stay on airbnb and if I want to extend, the fee that I would pay to airbnb is significantly lessened, the apartment owner and I both benefit, and I get flexibility which is important to me. Obviously that involves a risk if the apartment is booked and I have to find another accommodation but it also allows me to leave after my paid nights if the apartment has issues that I don't want to deal with.

I blame myself for previous unsuccessful Italy airbnb experiences. Now, I will only stay in an apartment that is well reviewed by many prior guests and I want the reviews to include something other than 100% perfection. While airbnb reviewers can only post reviews if they paid through airbnb, I can easily see a workaround to this. I imagine that a host could have a family member or friend book through airbnb, pay them through airbnb, then give them the money back and have them write a fantastic review. I like seeing reviews that are numerous and from different countries. You can cross-reference the reviewers and you see if they have a common host, which I think helps prevent fraud. Obviously nothing is perfect, but I have had good experience lately with them now that I've prepared better.

Last edited by lanago2; Apr 18, 2014 at 11:25 am
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by stifle
Parts of London and most of Paris also have local ordinances restricting or prohibiting short-term lets.
Must not be enforced much in Paris because people have been renting apartments by the week for years - well before the whole Airbnb craze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.