Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Used Airbnb in Chicago, Miami

Have trips coming up for Miami again, and Nashville.

so far everything has been running smoothly.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Are you booked in Nashville yet? I've got a friend in the coolest neighborhood in town with a beautiful place. Have fun here!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I host an Airbnb apartment and have rented once in Croatia. All has gone very well. But I'm now trying to find an apartment in Paris for one night and every single apartment I've selected has declined the reservation! I don't know why. Is there some secret code for Paris that I don't know about? I'm sending all my notes in French. Should I do it in English?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by stimpy
I host an Airbnb apartment and have rented once in Croatia. All has gone very well. But I'm now trying to find an apartment in Paris for one night and every single apartment I've selected has declined the reservation! I don't know why. Is there some secret code for Paris that I don't know about? I'm sending all my notes in French. Should I do it in English?
I was just in France, four AirBnB accommodations in Paris and Loire Valley. I found that most hosts wanted multiple day reservations, in Paris 3 or 4 day minimums, even if it was not specified in the description.

I would say we were 3 for 4 on this trip. Our first place in Paris, although a prime location, had a "temporary" futon on the floor instead of the advertised sofa bed. We were told the sofa bed had recently broken. The other three were fine.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hiyo
Our first place in Paris, although a prime location, had a "temporary" futon on the floor instead of the advertised sofa bed. We were told the sofa bed had recently broken.
Are you going to take it up with AirBnB, or let it slide? I've had nothing but good experiences with AirBnB, but I'd be curious to know what AirBnB does in cases of over-promising hosts. My guess: not too much for the guest, but a warning for the host.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If anyone is going to Tokyo and would like to stay in a Brutalist landmark, I recently stumbled upon this Nakagin Capsule offer.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Wow,

that does look interesting ^

The place where I stayed was cheaper, relatively new, but also had no inroom shower. Or toilet for that matter, but they were practically across the hallway.

Still, $86 Per Night is not bad for Tokyo, and there is the novelty of staying in a very unique place
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I would suspect very few want to rent for a single night, even if they don't state that restriction.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:53 am

I've got good experiences so far as a renter. It's really worth to try, sometimes better than a stay in a good Hotel.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA | EK | SPG
I've only had great experiences; I've booked stays in both the USA and Middle East.

One potentially dicey booking in Dubai was quickly addressed and fixed by Airbnb customer service (host tried to move me from my original booking for a 77th floor suite to a 3rd floor room). They refunded me the cost and gave me a voucher for my next booking.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:35 am

AirBnB is great if you research in advance your travel destination and neighbourhood. I have stayed in a reviewless property in Kyoto in October 2013 (first customer, whole Japanese style house for 6 persons in the suburbs) and the experience has been amazing! We communicate via apps like Line App to ask about random household issues.

We also remain friends with our host in Breckenridge which we stayed with in January 2014, you never know what kind of experience you will get until you actually try it! Booking was straightforward and some host are quite flexible and may accomodate you an extra day for minimal/no cost if you have to suddenly change your travel plans due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:21 pm

I listed my place on AirBnB while I was going to be away for an extensive period of time. It seemed like more hassle than not to modify my principal residence into a rental -- putting stuff away, cleaning, etc. For my duration, it wasn't worth the hassle. I might try it again in 2015 if I decide to go away longer than 3 weeks.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:30 pm

Used AirBNB in Toronto to rent a room for a night and in NYC... Great experiences with both places.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:33 am

All good experiences. For eg., Stayed in Paris 5th small apartment 200m from metro for €55/night. Many others in Italy and France and UK too. I usually start search early, as better-located ones at good prices soon get booked up IME.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by NYCfan
I usually start search early, as better-located ones at good prices soon get booked up IME.
No question that airbnb rewards travel obsessives who plan and research extensively.

If you always stay at one type of accommodation (e.g., Starwood hotels) then you always know more or less what you're getting in terms of price/quality... with airbnb you really have to get into it and spend time sorting the wheat from the chaff. Anyone who isn't willing to do that is probably better off with a hotel... it's a safer bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.