FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo-757/)
-   -   Any experience with Airbnb? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-hotel-lodging-services-including-airbnb-vrbo/1204789-any-experience-airbnb.html)

AJSpark Apr 2, 2013 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 17570461)
I'm 31 and would probably not visit an AirBNB if ten years older.

I've never used AirBnB but have considered it and done a bit of browsing, and it appears that the ages of the hosts is quite diverse. I'm curious what your reasons are to not use AirBnB if you're over 40?

EmailKid Apr 2, 2013 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by AJSpark (Post 20525227)
I'm curious what your reasons are to not use AirBnB if you're over 40?

I've used AirBnB a couple of times and I'm well over 40 :p

EmailKid

Kay_nyc Apr 7, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm an AirBnB host (and guest) - I get a good number of guests over 40. Most guests are young couples in their 30s, but I think that's a demographic that has the ability to travel.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 7, 2013 1:55 pm

I just booked my first Airbrb stay for later this month, in BKK. Seems to be perfect for those traveling with families, or want larger places. I can usually find reasonably priced hotels, and elite benefits can really be nice. However, if it's that, or buy two rooms, and still not be able to cook, it's a big difference.

EmailKid Apr 7, 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 20552201)
I just booked my first Airbrb stay for later this month, in BKK.

Never even occured to me to look at BKK properties. Just stayed there a few days ago in my favorite hole in the wall hotel - still the same sub $30 rate.

But I would love to hear about how your stay goes, so if you don't mind reporting back.

EmailKid, back stateside with two more flights to go (yes, from IAH to DFW via DEN for the miles :p :D @:-) )

Jaimito Cartero Apr 7, 2013 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 20552267)
Never even occured to me to look at BKK properties. Just stayed there a few days ago in my favorite hole in the wall hotel - still the same sub $30 rate.

But I would love to hear about how your stay goes, so if you don't mind reporting back.

EmailKid, back stateside with two more flights to go (yes, from IAH to DFW via DEN for the miles :p :D @:-) )

I've rented apartments in Prague and Buenos Aires multiple times, years ago. I like the pictures and reviews that Airbnb offers. There are often times, I'd like to take extended family on trips, but the added room cost makes it difficult. Hopefully Airbnb, or similar work out well.

I understand the problems of renting out. I don't think there is a perfect solution, but I know that I stayed away from places with extra person charges, cleaning fees, or no reviews.

rwoman Apr 8, 2013 1:32 pm

I've had friends really enjoy their stays in NYC and london using airbnb bookings.

I think it's also important to research various areas of cities before making a booking. For example, my niece and friends (limited budget) are looking to go to SFO in a few weeks. I checked with a friend in the area about recommened areas. Feedback was important to making an educated decision.

:)

sciguy0504 Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm

I used it for the first time in February as I had a very last-minute trip to Brisbane. I was nervous but everything was better than I had imagined - the host picked me up from the train station, the loft was clean and as described, and I was across the street from a major bus and ferry terminal. If you do your homework and read the reviews, you should be fine with AirBnB.

Great resource for students!

sfx Apr 20, 2013 2:36 am

My 50-60 year old mum uses AirBnB frequently, as do my parents-in-law, it is great if you take time to pick a good place.

Misnerfamily Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Bad Experience

We booked an apt in a Brownstone in NYC a couple of years ago. Booked about 3 weeks in advance.....got a call while in the Airport to say she couldn't accommodate us now. I believe she got a booking for 2 weeks vs our 4 nights. That left us frantic to book a place to stay before we took off. It cost of a lot more money to fix this.

Be aware is all I say

forumpersona999 Apr 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Misnerfamily (Post 20665720)
We booked an apt in a Brownstone in NYC a couple of years ago. Booked about 3 weeks in advance.....got a call while in the Airport to say she couldn't accommodate us now. I believe she got a booking for 2 weeks vs our 4 nights. That left us frantic to book a place to stay before we took off. It cost of a lot more money to fix this.

Be aware is all I say

The host can't get away with doing that too many times. Any time a host cancels a guest's reservation, the host gets penalized and their ranking will drop in the search results.

Misnerfamily Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Glad there is a mechanism

It doesn't really help when you are heading to NYC and you have 45 min before your 6 hour flight from Anchorage to deal with no place to stay when you arrive late in the evening.

I think our situation was "the perfect storm," maybe we will try it again in the future - or at least have a refundable hotel booked for a back up if arriving early.

Great idea I thought - just bad luck

Originally Posted by forumpersona999 (Post 20666838)
The host can't get away with doing that too many times. Any time a host cancels a guest's reservation, the host gets penalized and their ranking will drop in the search results.

Kay_nyc Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999 (Post 20666838)

I agree. I'm a host in NYC, and I've gone out of my way to accommodate a handful of reservations that became inconvenient for me. Hosts get an automatic negative review if they cancel on a guest. I'm paranoid that if I ever cancel, I won't be able to rent out my apartment again. That said, my price per night was much lower before I a lot of positive reviews.

So sad to hear about a bad host. It's a really nice service in general. I like meeting other travelers.

Misnerfamily Apr 30, 2013 7:36 am

We were thinking of doing the same in Toronto

I am sure most hosts are very cognizant of their guest. We just got unlucky at a very inconvenient time. I have read several good reviews for the service in the last couple of days. I have a funny story that goes along with our cancellation.....the girl renting the apartment sent my phone a text with some sexual conent.....my wife immediately wondered who/why!! Needless to say it was more than just finding a new place to stay that was difficult.

We laugh about it now!!

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc (Post 20672482)
I agree. I'm a host in NYC, and I've gone out of my way to accommodate a handful of reservations that became inconvenient for me. Hosts get an automatic negative review if they cancel on a guest. I'm paranoid that if I ever cancel, I won't be able to rent out my apartment again. That said, my price per night was much lower before I a lot of positive reviews.

So sad to hear about a bad host. It's a really nice service in general. I like meeting other travelers.

sfx Apr 30, 2013 8:03 am

just leave a fair review of the situation.