Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:43 pm

I recently started using Airbnb and so far the experience has been mixed. I enjoy living in a "normal" neighborhood, so the locations have been great, but the hosts can be a headache.

I recently had two hosts cancel with little warning. One of them took 6 days to officially cancel the reservation on the site, which kept my money in limbo and gave me warnings when I tried to reserve a replacement apartment.

Another host wanted me to send a scan of my passport to her Hotmail account even though Airbnb already has my passport on file and I would have been happy to show it to her on arrival.

Another was renting out his apartment without the landlord's knowledge or permission, and unknown to me, his lease was about to expire. A realtor for the landlord kept interrupting my stay to show the apartment to potential new renters. The host also didn't want to pay for any garbage service, so I was supposed to sneak my trash into neighbors' bins.

These were all places with several good reviews. I wouldn't recommend using Airbnb for any critical travel because of the flakiness I've experienced. I also won't use it anymore in countries where there's a big language barrier, because in my experience the hosts are in other countries or continents and not quickly available to help.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Mimo
I recently started using Airbnb and so far the experience has been mixed. I enjoy living in a "normal" neighborhood, so the locations have been great, but the hosts can be a headache.

I recently had two hosts cancel with little warning. One of them took 6 days to officially cancel the reservation on the site, which kept my money in limbo and gave me warnings when I tried to reserve a replacement apartment.

Another host wanted me to send a scan of my passport to her Hotmail account even though Airbnb already has my passport on file and I would have been happy to show it to her on arrival.

Another was renting out his apartment without the landlord's knowledge or permission, and unknown to me, his lease was about to expire. A realtor for the landlord kept interrupting my stay to show the apartment to potential new renters. The host also didn't want to pay for any garbage service, so I was supposed to sneak my trash into neighbors' bins.

These were all places with several good reviews. I wouldn't recommend using Airbnb for any critical travel because of the flakiness I've experienced. I also won't use it anymore in countries where there's a big language barrier, because in my experience the hosts are in other countries or continents and not quickly available to help.
Seems you have some "negative experience" review writing to do.

Re: subletting, as a landlord, I make it clear to my renters that going down that sneaky subletting road ends badly...like me retaining the security deposit and immediately evicting them for breach of contract. For that reason, I only deal with property owners on airbnb, and perhaps that's not a bad rule.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:20 pm

Love airbnb, used in Denmark
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Re: subletting, as a landlord, I make it clear to my renters that going down that sneaky subletting road ends badly...like me retaining the security deposit and immediately evicting them for breach of contract.
That would be illegal in most, if not all, states. A security deposit can only be retained for unpaid rent, damage to the apartment, or certain other reasons, not for any breach of contract. Furthermore, not every breach of contract is grounds for eviction, especially if the breach is corrected within a specified time.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
That would be illegal in most, if not all, states. A security deposit can only be retained for unpaid rent, damage to the apartment, or certain other reasons, not for any breach of contract. Furthermore, not every breach of contract is grounds for eviction, especially if the breach is corrected within a specified time.
In this case, it is written into the rental agreement, and unlawful subletting is considered by the HOA to be a a gross violation of terms.

But I think we're getting off track--the important thing to remember is that airbnb stays approved by owners is far preferable than airbnb stays granted by dwelling renters.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
This is why should I ever have to rent again I would never rent directly from an owner, I've heard too many stories like that where the owner seems to think that the deposit is their reward at the end of the rental period.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:55 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

In this case, it is written into the rental agreement, and unlawful subletting is considered by the HOA to be a a gross violation of terms.
You can write whatever you want into the rental agreement, but if it's illegal, it's illegal. The HOA cannot overrule the law.

But I think we're getting off track--the important thing to remember is that airbnb stays approved by owners is far preferable than airbnb stays granted by dwelling renters.
I have to disagree with that. On airbnb, I will rent the most suitable location. As a subtenant, the agreement between the tenant and owner is not my problem. If there are any issues, I will be long gone before they get sorted out. If it is a long stay, I would be more careful.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
This is why should I ever have to rent again I would never rent directly from an owner, I've heard too many stories like that where the owner seems to think that the deposit is their reward at the end of the rental period.
I have experienced this too. Even the company that ran the housing at my university did it. A stern letter (not e-mail) citing the relevant law usually does the trick.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:33 am
sfx

I have experienced this too. Even the company that ran the housing at my university did it. A stern letter (not e-mail) citing the relevant law usually does the trick.

Because of fraud where landlords keep deposits, the UK now requires escrow, and check in/out by a third party on all rentals. Works very well.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: TrueBlue
I used Airbnb for the first time on our honeymoon back in 2010. Went flawlessly in London, France and Ireland. Used them again for going all over Scotland. Now we're doing a trip to London, using Airbnb for stays in Iceland on the way there and Bergen Norway on the way back (staying with friends in London).. The experience has been universally good.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:52 am

I actually just used AirBNB for the first time in my own backyard. Got married last month and we wanted a house for some family to stay at, so found a great place locally. All worked out well, and I'd definitely consider it when traveling.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Have used Airbnb for two bachelor parties and its definitely the way to go when you have more than two guest. The extra space and bathrooms make everybody more comfortable and it is usually cheaper than a hotel.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:48 am

Used AirBNB when we went to my brother's graduation. Was very impressed and certainly enjoyed it more than staying at a hotel (for cheaper as well!). Guess it helped that my brother scouted out the place before hand as well but i'm sure places with good reviews would work too!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:48 am

Four experiences: two negative, one neutral, one good. All were in Istanbul. The first was a large 3BR bedroom apartment. It turned out the apartment, when not occupied by AirBnB guests, was used as a "flophouse" for college students or artists who are out of work. We arrived to an apartment that had not been cleaned, and was poorly maintained: a bedroom door completely off the hinges, a cracked and leaking showerhead, burned out light bulbs, no WiFi as advertised, and no heat--very cold in March! The transaction was being handled by a friend of a friend of the tenant; needless to say, we moved out and were fully refunded.

The second room looked great in photos, was advertised as nonsmoking and 5 minutes walk to Besiktas bus and ferry stop. In fact it was 25 minute walk (we did it 2x, timing it). Upon arrival we discovered the six-story stairwell was in total darkness; a safety hazard the hostesses laughed away, saying they used their cell phones as flashlights. Also, the apartment was smokey and uncleaned-- strange, because the hostesses required a $30 weekly cleaning fee of each guest to pay the "cleaning lady", who, in fact, was the hostesses themselves.

The neutral experience was advertised as a single room in a 3Br apartment with 2 other young professional women, mid-20s. Turned out the other 2 women had decided to rent floor space in their respective (single) rooms; so in each other room there were 2 people, for a total of 5 persons in a very tiny apartment.

The one positive we have with AirB&B was a guest house. It turns out that this guesthouse was also listed on booking.com at a slightly cheaper rate!

I am a frequent traveler who is accustomed to staying in low cost accommodation such as hostels or hospedajaes. I have found the AirB&B rooms to be overexaggerated in terms of quality for the price. Of course these are my only experiences thus far with AirBnb, but overall I prefer other booking alternatives like HostelBookers, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Travellerspoint, or word-of-mouth forums like TripAdvisor.

Last edited by elizadoo; Jun 22, 2014 at 7:56 am
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by elizadoo
Four experiences: two negative, one neutral, one good. All were in Istanbul. The first was a large 3BR bedroom apartment. It turned out the apartment, when not occupied by AirBnB guests, was used as a "flophouse" for college students or artists who are out of work. We arrived to an apartment that had not been cleaned, and was poorly maintained: a bedroom door completely off the hinges, a cracked and leaking showerhead, burned out light bulbs, no WiFi as advertised, and no heat--very cold in March! The transaction was being handled by a friend of a friend of the tenant; needless to say, we moved out and were fully refunded.

The second room looked great in photos, was advertised as nonsmoking and 5 minutes walk to Besiktas bus and ferry stop. In fact it was 25 minute walk (we did it 2x, timing it). Upon arrival we discovered the six-story stairwell was in total darkness; a safety hazard the hostesses laughed away, saying they used their cell phones as flashlights. Also, the apartment was smokey and uncleaned-- strange, because the hostesses required a $30 weekly cleaning fee of each guest to pay the "cleaning lady", who, in fact, was the hostesses themselves.

The neutral experience was advertised as a single room in a 3Br apartment with 2 other young professional women, mid-20s. Turned out the other 2 women had decided to rent floor space in their respective (single) rooms; so in each other room there were 2 people, for a total of 5 persons in a very tiny apartment.

The one positive we have with AirB&B was a guest house. It turns out that this guesthouse was also listed on booking.com at a slightly cheaper rate!

I am a frequent traveler who is accustomed to staying in low cost accommodation such as hostels or hospedajaes. I have found the AirB&B rooms to be overexaggerated in terms of quality for the price. Of course these are my only experiences thus far with AirBnb, but overall I prefer other booking alternatives like HostelBookers, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Travellerspoint, or word-of-mouth forums like TripAdvisor.
So what kind of reviews did the bad places get, I must admit I now look through those reviews carefully and am very nervous of places without one.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I have never gotten to use AirBnB for a simpler reason. Every time I've tried, I have found better rates and more options elsewhere: VRBO, Homeaway, Booking.com, etc. Granted, I don't look for shared space, so that might explain it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.