Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways to allow in-flight texting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
British Airways to allow in-flight texting

The airline will limit the service to twice-daily flights between London City Airport and New York's JFK that are due to start in September. The all-business class route is flown by a narrow-body Airbus A318 aircraft that must make a stop in Ireland on the westbound leg. The configuration will allow for just 32 seats.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-....html?part=rss

A318 and flying out of London City? And with a stopover in Ireland? Is that going to be a success for BA?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gosha83
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-....html?part=rss

A318 and flying out of London City? And with a stopover in Ireland? Is that going to be a success for BA?
I never thought that route had a chance until I finally flew out of LCY two weeks ago. It is ridiculously convenient and that more than makes up for the pit stop in Ireland. I think that they will do just fine on the route.

I do find interesting that their first efforts on the in-flight SMS functionality will be on this route. I'd think that they would want to put the service on a plane that flies more during the day.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
LCY is great -- if you arrive there, you can walk through customs, out of the terminal, grab a cab or the DLR, and be in the City before you'd have your bag back off the carousel at Heathrow.

Back to the topic of texting -- I'm not sure how I set my phone so it's capable of sending / receiving SMS but not voice calls, so assuming I can't, how does this not put the lie to cell phone use being an "aircraft safety issue"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.