FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Parking at Yankee Stadium (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/998103-parking-yankee-stadium.html)

Blumie Sep 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Parking at Yankee Stadium

I am driving from Manhattan (Chelsea) to attend Sunday afternoon's Yankees/Red Sox game, and then driving up to Boston afterwards. Can anyone recommend a parking lot that will allow me to get on the road quickly after the game? I am willing to sacrifice proximity to the stadium if that allows me to avoid sitting in a post-game traffic jam. Also, convenience and speed of getting out are more important factors than cost. (If people think it makes sense, I would consider parking further north on the 4 or D subway lines and taking the subway back to my car after the game.)

Analise Sep 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Parking has gotten that much harder since parking lots have been eliminated. There's always the garage and I would recommend parking near the exit for obvious reasons. But of course you may not be able to get those spots.

Probably one of the best people to answer your question is dhammer53 as I believe he drives down from Westchester. PM him as I bet he would be able to assist you.

stevenshev Sep 23, 2009 3:38 pm

I think in your shoes I'd drive up to say Scarsdale, park at the station there, train into the Stadium, and train back up. Avoids the Hutch, avoids parking at the stadium, avoids trying to leave the stadium. And you can take the HH all the way up, and avoid the madness of the East Side/crossing the river/Deegan.

dhammer53 Sep 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Head up the Grand Concourse. A couple of blocks north of 149th street, the road widens a bit, Make a right on that first side street. You can only go 1 - way. On that block, there's a parking lot. I'm not sure how much it cost this year. In the past, it was $10. YMMV. If you're lucky, you may find a street spot. ;)
It's a 10 minute walk to the stadium.

When you leave, make your first left, then left again (south) on the Concourse. You're heading back to 87 at 138th street. From here, you can head north on 87 to 95 (Cross Bronx); or, head south on 87 and follow the signs to New Haven.

cordelli Sep 23, 2009 4:38 pm

Don't know if this helps or not, but the MTA says about the new train station there

The station features a reasonably priced, 2,411 space commuter parking facility at 153rd Street with easy access off the Major Deegan (I-87) at Exit 6, and it is only a short train ride into Grand Central Terminal.

havetoshop Sep 24, 2009 6:54 am

Blumie- go early! The parking lots will fill up fast on Sunday for Yankee- Red Sox.
Never park in the Yankee garage- it takes ages to get out.

The new garage in Gateway Center( mall with Target, Home Depot etc.) is getting "good reviews". It is $20. on "regular" game days and nights.

Go Yankees!

Blumie Sep 24, 2009 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 12427172)
Head up the Grand Concourse. A couple of blocks north of 149th street, the road widens a bit, Make a right on that first side street. You can only go 1 - way. On that block, there's a parking lot. I'm not sure how much it cost this year. In the past, it was $10. YMMV. If you're lucky, you may find a street spot. ;)

When you leave, make your first left, then left again (south) on the Concourse. You're heading back to 87 at 138th street. From here, you can head north on 87 to 95 (Cross Bronx); or, head south on 87 and follow the signs to New Haven.

Thanks for the help, everyone. dhammer, if I follow your route, do I go right on 153rd St or 156th St off the Grand Concourse?

stevenshev Sep 24, 2009 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 12427172)

If you make it alive. I certainly would not park my car there. Ever.

Blumie Sep 24, 2009 11:25 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 12431008)

Fortunately, I don't scare easily. And my father was born off the Grand Concourse; I'd love to check out the neighborhood. I wonder if it's changed at all in the last 82 years. ;)

BTW, I like the idea of parking further north in Westchester, but don't like the idea of having to deal with train schedules when the game ends.

stevenshev Sep 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Trains leave the stadium when the games end. They actually thought this stuff out. And, I promise, there's nothing to check out there. I don't scare easily, and I routinely drive through the area when necessary, but wouldn't park my car there or walk around alone if it weren't absolutely imperative.

dhammer53 Sep 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 12430949)
Thanks for the help, everyone. dhammer, if I follow your route, do I go right on 153rd St or 156th St off the Grand Concourse?

I wish I could remember.

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 12431008)

Stevenshev, come on (as Warner Wolf says). This neighborhood is packed with people. ;)

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 12431697)

BTW, I like the idea of parking further north in Westchester, but don't like the idea of having to deal with train schedules when the game ends.

I trained it a few months ago. Here are the cons:

-switch at 125th street going and coming. Not so bad.
-the MTA didn't prepare for those early games ie 2 hours and 25 minute games. They scheduled several trains beginning at the 3 hour mark IIRC.

If the game ends early, or it's a blow out and the Yankees are clobbering Boston ;), you'll have to wait for a Hudson Line train. Last time I did this and waited 30 minutes for the next train. :rolleyes: YMMV. It's beyond me why Metro North doesn't run this unscheduled, like a shuttle.

I liked the idea of the train, but didn't like the what-ifs.

cordelli Sep 24, 2009 12:31 pm

If you are parking up and training, make sure to park along the Hudson line (Tarrytown and the rest), not the Harlem line (White Plains and beyond) as after the game, all the trains heading up the Harlem line require a change either back at the Harlem/125th street station or all the way back at Grand Central. It sounds like getting out quickly is important to you, so training all the way into Grand Central and back out may not do it for you.

stevenshev Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Are you sure? Last time I was there they had both options.

cordelli Sep 24, 2009 1:22 pm

I'll stand corrected, there is post game service direct, but it's not on a schedule, ti departs 20 to 45 minutes once the game ends. They do not say how many trains it is.

If time is a factor, you can be well on your way long before the train leaves if it's a 45 minute wait.

stevenshev Sep 24, 2009 1:40 pm

And then what? Sit in traffic on Grand Concourse/the Deegan/the Cross Bronx? Seriously, I still vote train, and I'm tied to my car like nothing else.