Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5+ hour layover at JFK - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Blumie
If you're on time, you easily could be in Manhattan before noon, which would give you 2+ hours to do something. What do you have in mind? Lunch? Museum?
Good question and thanks! I'm thinking of going to the Rockefeller Center, since I haven't seen the tree before (yeah, it'll be daytime, too bad ) and going to the Top of the Rock. FAO Schwarz also sounds like fun, though likely packed.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Good question and thanks! I'm thinking of going to the Rockefeller Center, since I haven't seen the tree before (yeah, it'll be daytime, too bad ) and going to the Top of the Rock. FAO Schwarz also sounds like fun, though likely packed.
As a jaded New Yorker, I stay as far away as possible from Rock Center and FAO Schwarz during the Thanksgiving-Christmas period. But, from JFK, you could take the AirTrain to the LIRR to Penn Station and then take the subway or, weather permitting, walk to Rock Center and go for a leisurely stroll for a couple of hours before heading back to JFK. Or you could walk over to Keens, grab a seat at the bar or in the pub room, and have a magnificent pre-flight lunch. (Note that at the bar and in the pub room, you can order off either the regular dining room menu, or the more casual pub menu.)
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Just to close the loop, I landed at T5 on-time (~10:15 AM), took my bags to the T1 baggage storage facility (oddly, the all-terminal AirTrain was running counter-clockwise on the outer track that day), took the AirTrain to Jamaica and caught the LIRR to Penn Station. I got to Penn right at noon, and I took Blumie's suggestion and went to Keens and had lunch at their bar. Awesome place, so many thanks! They even let me keep the "Here's the bad news" folder where they include the check . I got back to JFK around 2:15 PM, which was in plenty of time for my 4:15 flight to IST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.