Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Coney Island in November, anything to see?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:32 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are headed to NYC for our 3rd trip together in so many years in November. We've done most of the touristy things, so I'm trying to do some "off the beaten path" type things. One thing I've wanted to visit is Coney Island.

I'm reading the Coney Island website about the times and operations, and it does appear that most of the good stuff will be closed by this weekend, and the rest will be winding down by the end of September. The website does mention that Nathan's Hot Dogs and the boardwalk is open all year.

I'm not so much interested in doing the rides, but rather seeing them. Will there be much to see there in November, or should I plan on a return trip sometime between Memorial and Labor Day for a better time?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
november most of the rides and places to eat will be closed. there may be a few people depending on the weather. the aquarium will be open all year, and you can see a planet earth movie/ride right outside. if you want to see a bunch of crazy things in Coney Island, yeah, Memorial to Labor day would be better (though I went yesterday and it was rather quite). If you REALLY want to see some crazy things, try to catch it on Mermaid Parade to see a freak show during the daytime
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
The boardwalk is not that large and more to say you have been there anyway. Good beach walk. Not that hard to get to and in some ways better off-season. Nathan's is an institution not to be missed if its open.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'd go. The beach is a great place to walk when there aren't many around.

After you're done, ask someone to point you in the direction of Brighton Beach Ave. It's about 8 - 10 blocks away. This is called Little Odessa. Lots of Russian stores under the el (elevated train). I'd say subway, but most think of subway as being underground.

Lots of retail and food stores to shop/eat in. Many of the food stores offer Russian and/or Eastern Bloc type of foods. This gives you a real snapshot of the area. Come hungry. Just eat 1 hotdog at Nathan's.

Once you reach Coney Island Ave, that's pretty much it. Maybe a couple of blocks more. You can take the train back to Manhattan from here. If you're still hungry, get off the train at the Ave. J station. It's a one block walk to Di Fara's pizza. Long lines. Expect to wait up to an hour (40 minutes most likely) and order a slice or 2 of their square pizza. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best pizza in NY.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
The New York Aquarium is located in Coney Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.