Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing / Taking Off at LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
New York LaGuardia International Airport (LGA / KLGA)

• For current flight tracks at LGA, see: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KLGA

• For the LGA Airport Diagram, see: http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KLGA/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM

• For Approach and Departure procedures at LGA, see: http://flightaware.com/resources/air...LGA/procedures

• For a Google Map of the LGA area, see: Google Map

• For an interactive map of NYC Airspace routes, including arrivals and departures from LGA, see: http://tfmlearning.fly.faa.gov/NY_Ai...Y_Airspace.swf

Airport Layout
LGA has two intersecting runways that run NE/SW (4/22) and NW/SE (13/31). Runway 4/22 is approximately parallel to Manhattan while Runway 13/31 is approximately perpendicular to it.

Airport Configurations
Approach and departure patterns are dependent upon the winds and weather, as well as traffic at neighboring JFK and EWR airports. All runways can be used for either arrivals or departures, with the exception of Runway 22, which is, in practice, never used for departures.

The following combinations are commonly used:

Arrivals 4, Departures 13
Arrivals 4, Departures 31
Arrivals 22, Departures 13
Arrivals 22, Departures 31
Arrivals 31, Departures 4

The following provides a summary of the views for each approach and departure path:

Approaches
Runway 4 - (good views from left side) The final approach path runs NE up Queens with Manhattan on the left. When departures are from Runway 13, arrivals from the North and East will cross West across the Yonkers and head SW down the Hudson at 4000-3000 ft, before turning left near or across the southern tip of Manhattan back to the NE to join the approach. When departures are from Runway 31, arrivals from the North and East will fly SW over LGA at 4000 ft to the southern tip of Manhattan, then turn back left to the NE to join the approach.

Runway 13 - (excellent views from right side; this approach used occasionally but infrequently) The River Visual approach runs up the Hudson River at 3500 ft very close to Manhattan, then turns right North of Central Park to the final approach. At night, the lights in Times Square are spectacular.

Runway 22 - (excellent views from the right side when departures from 13; good views from left side when departures from 31) When departures are from Runway 13, the approach path for arrivals from the South and West will run NE up the Hudson at 4000 ft with Manhattan on the right, then turn right 180° right over Eastchester to the final approach to the SW. When departures are from Runway 31, the approach path for arrivals from the South and West will run NE up Queens at 4000 ft with Manhattan on the left, then turn left 180° to the final approach with the Bronx on the right. Arrivals from the North and East will generally join the final approach directly from the NE with the Bronx on the right.

Runway 31 - (good views from left side for all arrivals) The Expressway Visual approach runs NE up Queens at 2500 ft, then turns right to the East following the Long Island Expressway, before turning back left to the NW to the final approach at low altitude over Citi Field (NY Mets) and the U. S. National Tennis Center. Arrivals from the South and West will fly NE at 7000-5000 ft with Staten Island on the left to join the approach. Arrivals from the North and East will fly West over LGA, turning left to the SE over lower Manhattan at 4000-3000 ft, before turning 180° left to join the approach.

Departures
Runway 4 - (fair views from left side for Southbound and Westbound departures) The departure path starts on runway heading to the NE. Southbound and Westbound departures then turn left to the NW, climbing over upper Manhattan or the Bronx at 4000-5000 ft. Northbound and Eastbound departures turn right to the East, climbing over Long Island Sound.

Runway 13 - (good views from left side for Southbound and Westbound departures when arrivals on 4) The Whitestone Climb turns S immediately after takeoff, climbing over Citi Field (NY Mets) and the U. S. National Tennis Center, before turning back left to the NE over Flushing. Westbound departures and, when arrivals are landing on Runway 4, Southbound departures then turn left to the NW, climbing over upper Manhattan at high altitude >7000 ft. The Flushing Climb is also occasionally used, starting on runway heading to the SE, then turning left to the NE over Flushing. When arrivals are landing on Runway 22, Southbound departures will turn left over LGA and climb SE over Queens and Brooklyn at high altitude >10,000 ft with Manhattan on the right.

Runway 22 - In practice, this departure is almost never used other than in exceptional circumstances, such as strong SW winds that exceed crosswind takeoff tolerances for 13/31. Depatures climb via an immediate left turn to the NE.

Runway 31 - (good views from left side) The departure path starts on runway heading and climbs to 5000 ft over the NE part of Manhattan.
Print Wikipost

Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing / Taking Off at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, TK Elite Plus, AZ Freccia Alata Plus
Flying into LGA - where to sit to see Manhattan skyline?

I will be flying into LGA for the first time ever and wanted to catch a good view of the Manhattan skyline. On which side of the plane am I supposed to sit to get some good views?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by dstan; Nov 6, 2015 at 10:55 am Reason: move mod note to wikipost
Old Mar 21, 2009, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Whether or not there's a view depends, of course, on the approach, but usually the left side provides the better view.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Unless of course you're lucky, sit on the right and land on 13 after flying north along the Hudson at about 2000 ft.

Best bet: pick a window on the left. If there are still seats on the right and LGA is using 13 (check current lga traffic: http://www4.passur.com/lga.html) and the weather forecast doesn't have a significant change in wind forecast, then change seats to the right.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Generally, but by no means always, late night flights go up the East River for a more direct approach, meaning you want to be sitting on the left side. Day and early evening flights more up the Hudson River to the North and then the turn back around to LGA, the right side. Also, approaches can change very close to landing (on a number of occassions the pilot has come on the intercom to announce a different approach).
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, TK Elite Plus, AZ Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Generally, but by no means always, late night flights go up the East River for a more direct approach, meaning you want to be sitting on the left side. Day and early evening flights more up the Hudson River to the North and then the turn back around to LGA, the right side. Also, approaches can change very close to landing (on a number of occassions the pilot has come on the intercom to announce a different approach).
Thanks much. I'll be flying in from ORD and the scheduled arrival time is around 8.20 p.m.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: MR Silver elite, Hertz Gold, AA, Delta, AirTran
Really depends on approach. I have experienced many different approaches. Yesterday, from ATL plane went over Brooklyn with great view of Manhattan and the new Mets stadium from left side. If plane goes up Hudson right hand side would have the view. And if approach from west it night loop around westchester and not have a fantastic view.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:04 am

What about JFK? I have a flight from Charlotte in a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Unless of course you're lucky, sit on the right and land on 13 after flying north along the Hudson at about 2000 ft.

Best bet: pick a window on the left. If there are still seats on the right and LGA is using 13 (check current lga traffic: http://www4.passur.com/lga.html) and the weather forecast doesn't have a significant change in wind forecast, then change seats to the right.
First time in a long time that we got the river visual to 13 and fate had put Franny in a right side window. DL had swapped in equipment at CVG from a 738 to an M90 and had sent her back to 3D from her regular left window 1A. The flight was about three hours late (as everything was yesterday) and I was asleep in 3C.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
There are two LGA approaches with good views, both from the south. Which one you get depends on a wide range of factors, including winds and traffic. IME, there is no predictable pattern as has been suggested (and I watch this every day from my office window).

The EXPRESSWAY VISUAL approach to rwy 31 goes up the East River over Brooklyn, so seats on the left will have decent views of the city and seats on the right will have views of the field at JFK.

The RIVER VISUAL approach to rwy 13 goes up the Hudson, much closer to Manhattan, and seats on the right will give you excellent views. Looking right down into Time Square lit up at night is pretty cool.

None of the approaches to JFK will have very good views of Manhattan due to the distance, except perhaps an approach to rwy 13 heading north over Brooklyn before turning east (used infrequently - saw it yesterday for the first time in recent memory).

You can get charts for the LGA (and other) approaches (IAP) at FlightAware.com here. You can also see which runways are in use, for example, here.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by dstan
There are two LGA approaches with good views, both from the south. Which one you get depends on a wide range of factors, including winds and traffic. IME, there is no predictable pattern as has been suggested (and I watch this every day from my office window).

The EXPRESSWAY VISUAL approach to rwy 31 goes up the East River over Brooklyn, so seats on the left will have decent views of the city and seats on the right will have views of the field at JFK.

The RIVER VISUAL approach to rwy 13 goes up the Hudson, much closer to Manhattan, and seats on the right will give you excellent views. Looking right down into Time Square lit up at night is pretty cool.

None of the approaches to JFK will have very good views of Manhattan due to the distance, except perhaps an approach to rwy 13 heading north over Brooklyn before turning east (used infrequently - saw it yesterday for the first time in recent memory).

You can get charts for the LGA (and other) approaches (IAP) at FlightAware.com here. You can also see which runways are in use, for example, here.
Well... JFK ILS 13L would be great from the left ... if it weren't IMC.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: AGR WOH
For CLT-JFK, sit on the left -- it can be an okay view of the harbor and skyline on a very clear day.

For ORD-LGA, I try to sit on the left on both legs. I do remember getting the river approach a few times, but it seems less frequent than the approach over Queens. Plus, you'll probably get a nice view of both Manhattan and Chicago on the westbound.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:12 am

Programs: NWA-SE, PC, SPG, Hyatt, Amtrak, VIA, AC
or make a request to the flight crew

i can't remember which route or carrier or even when this was, but i do at least remember a pilot banking my plane while over niagara falls once so that everyone on one side could get a good view and try to snap a photo.
then he did banked the other way for everyone on the other side.
big smiles throughout the cabin!!!
but they'd probably rather not do this during their final approach.

edit:
oh yeah, FWIW it was probably a CO flight from NRT to EWK a year or two before the big 911.

Last edited by YXU Dude; Apr 14, 2009 at 4:15 am Reason: additional note
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by YXU Dude
i can't remember which route or carrier or even when this was, but i do at least remember a pilot banking my plane while over niagara falls once so that everyone on one side could get a good view and try to snap a photo.
then he did banked the other way for everyone on the other side.
big smiles throughout the cabin!!!
but they'd probably rather not do this during their final approach.

edit:
oh yeah, FWIW it was probably a CO flight from NRT to EWK a year or two before the big 911.
My Delta flight from ATL to BUF did this last year. It was the Friday of Labor Day weekend. It was cool and I did get a picture on my camera.

I used to gamble which side of the plane the view of NYC would be on. I usually take the last flight from BNA and seemed like it was more often the left side. Now I just ask the flight attendant when I board. If they don't know at boarding time, they'll usually find out during the flight and come tell me and let me switch if there is an empty seat on the appropriate side of the plane. Seeing Manhattan is the best part of the flight for me.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:19 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Cool

NYTimes: With This View, Who Needs Legroom?

There’s no more unfortunate example than La Guardia. Despite its abysmal reputation, flights into La Guardia regularly offer breathtaking views of New York City. The first time I went to Rockefeller Center’s observation deck, I heard someone remark how much better the view was from there, compared with the Empire State Building, because you can’t see King Kong’s last perch when you’re standing on it. The views from a flight landing at La Guardia take that logic to a whole new altitude. If you come in over the Upper Bay of New York Harbor, your arrival will start, aptly enough, with a view of the Statue of Liberty. Next is the small matter of a famous island, which, at least at night, manages to look like what it so often claims to be: the capital of the world.

Note the topography of Manhattan’s skyscrapers, how Lower Manhattan and Midtown are entirely distinct skylines. Find Times Square by the stadium-like metallic light that pours upward into the night sky and spills like water into nearby neighborhoods. From there follow Broadway as it angles across the grid. And make sure to look directly down as the glowing streets flip past like pages in a book.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The River Visual 13 approach was the default for many, many years, but IME is very rare now (maybe 1 such approach in my last 50 flights into LGA). The most common landings for me over the last 3 years have been on runways 4, 22 and 31, in that order.

I have never had a pilot announce a change in approach close to landing. AFAIK they are not supposed to make any announcements once below 10,000 feet except for emergency situations (sterile cockpit rule).

Originally Posted by dstan
I've flown into LGA I don't know how many hundreds of times, but I never tire of the view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.