Wiki Posts
Search

Grocery store in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Grocery store in NYC

Hi!

Will be at the Westin @ Times Square and was wondering where the closest grocery store was. I don't mind walking at all - will be exploring in any case so that's not a problem.

So I know it's not the suburbs so I'm just wondering what NYers do for groceries and where the best place might be.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:35 pm

While it's not at Times Square, there's a great Whole Foods in the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle (about a 10-12 minute walk).

Bobette
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
3 Long Blocks

Dont know the brand but there is a major

super market (grocery store) on 43rd street

between 9th & 10th Avenues

Just walk west (towards the Hudson river)
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

There's a Food Emporium on Eighth Avenue at 49th Street, which is a little closer (than Whole Foods). Be prepared for sticker shock, though: Manhattan supermarket prices tend to be higher than what many out-of-towners are accustomed to.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 20, 2009 at 8:27 pm
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:25 pm

If you don't ind walking walk up 9th ave - there's a few latino groceries - and end up at whole foods.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

There's a Food Emporium on Eighth Avenue at 49th Street, which is a little closer. Be prepared for sticker shock, though: Manhattan supermarket prices tend to be higher than what many out-of-towners are accustomed to.
This Food Emporium is, I believe, the closest "real" supermarket to the W.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Is Morton's Assoc. the beat choice for the 200 W. 56th St. area? We'll be in a timeshare and like to cook some meals.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:54 pm

Grocery stores in Manhattan are mostly terrible, and terribly expensive, by suburban standards...I wouldn't put much effort into deciding which one is "best" - just pick one, go there and deal with what they have.

You might also consider having your groceries for the week delivered by FreshDirect on the first evening of your timeshare stay. Their produce is pretty good and prices are NYC reasonable.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
If you want to explore, why not go a mile or two up Broadway and take a look at Fairway and Zabar's?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by philemer
Is Morton's Assoc. the beat choice for the 200 W. 56th St. area? We'll be in a timeshare and like to cook some meals.
Unless that supermarket cleaned up its act, I'd say not. That was a friend of mine's local market and it was just awful. Then again, that was over 5 years ago. The closest supermarket is the Food Emporium. But it's a pricey FE.

If you like to cook, head down to Union Square greenmarket on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays for great produce and very good prices.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Fairway Is The Best

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
If you want to explore, why not go a mile or two up Broadway and take a look at Fairway and Zabar's?
YES to Fairway at 74th & Broadway

Easy by subway from Times Square

Good selection & reasonable prices
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:47 am
ACB

Originally Posted by Analise
Unless that supermarket cleaned up its act, I'd say not. That was a friend of mine's local market and it was just awful. Then again, that was over 5 years ago. The closest supermarket is the Food Emporium. But it's a pricey FE.

If you like to cook, head down to Union Square greenmarket on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays for great produce and very good prices.
And if you're already in Union Square, the Whole Foods is right there and Trader Joe's is a couple of blocks east on 14th Street. ^ on the greenmarket suggestion.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by Analise

Originally Posted by ACB
And if you're already in Union Square, the Whole Foods is right there and Trader Joe's is a couple of blocks east on 14th Street. ^ on the greenmarket suggestion.
I'm confused. From 200 W. 56th Street. Why would anyone go to any supermarket other than the Whole Foods a couple of blocks away at Columbus Circle.

I do agree that the Union Square greenmarket is wonderful, but if one is just looking for a supermarket, the Columbus Circle Whole Foods is right there.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
this just shows the variety of experiences people can have. i used to order from freshdirect twice a month and finally got fed up with the crappy produce, so i stopped. everything from overripe/mushy tomatos to lettuce that was already brown...that was my #1 problem with fresh direct, the bad produce!

and my #2 problem was the high prices. i didn't find them reasonable at all. it took me a while to see because i loved not having to leave the house and i think i was in denial, but the truth is, the prices on most items (except whatever was on sale that week) were higher than any supermarket i might choose to go to.

i'm still on freshdirect's mailing list and get their weekly specials email, so even though this was last year, i can affirm that they are still pricey. nb: i live in spanish harlem, so their prices are, for example, WAY higher than associated (crappy ghetto supermarket around the corner from our house). but even if we go to a food emporium on the upper east side - completely different vibe, produce, customers, etc. - fresh direct is still much higher-priced(just not as much).

ok. end freshdirect rant. i agree with the others that you should go to whole foods - it's pretty close (especially for someone who doesn't mind walking). it's pretty expensive too. but you can get some interesting stuff there. in fact, i met my favorite cheese at whole foods (it's called lingot - shaped like a brick of gold - get it if it's in stock!)....

Originally Posted by ttjoseph
Grocery stores in Manhattan are mostly terrible, and terribly expensive, by suburban standards...I wouldn't put much effort into deciding which one is "best" - just pick one, go there and deal with what they have.

You might also consider having your groceries for the week delivered by FreshDirect on the first evening of your timeshare stay. Their produce is pretty good and prices are NYC reasonable.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
YES to Fairway at 74th & Broadway
Easy by subway from Times Square
Good selection & reasonable prices
I've been to the Fairway on 12th Avenue up past 125th Street. Is the Broadway/74th location bigger or smaller than that one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.